Seeking refund from Rodeway Inn in Williamsburg, VA

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 9, 2021
6/10/2021 Reservation for the Rodeway Inn in Williamsburg, VA for May 6-7, 2020 was made through Choice Hotels and $74.75 was charged by Travelocity to our credit card. We subsequently cancelled the reservation and was told they would refund the money. After several failed attempts with Rodeway to get the refund check, I contacted Choice Hotels. They said my concern should be handled by the hotel directly. I've spoken to the person who does the billing and is also co-manager for Rodeway Inn multiple times and each time was assured the refund check would be going out in the mail "tomorrow". We have yet to receive it. Any suggestions? Jean

Skippy

May 30, 2019
To the Original Poster (OP): Do you have any written / email correspondence with either Choice or the local Rodeway hotel, or has everything been by phone?

To the Moderator: Rodeway is not part of the Hilton chain? Should this post be moved up a level to "Hotels"?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Reservation for the Rodeway Inn in Williamsburg, VA for May 6-7, 2020 was made through Choice Hotels and $74.75 was charged by Travelocity to our credit card. We subsequently cancelled the reservation and was told they would refund the money. After several failed attempts with Rodeway to get the refund check, I contacted Choice Hotels. They said my concern should be handled by the hotel directly. I've spoken to the person who does the billing and is also co-manager for Rodeway Inn multiple times and each time was assured the refund check would be going out in the mail "tomorrow". We have yet to receive it. Any suggestions? Jean
You prepaid all or a portion of your booking (was this in May 2020 or 2021?). What were the terms of the prepayment for the reservation? Regardless of what you were told by Rodeway or Choice, was the prepayment actually refundable? If it was not (this would be on your confirmation email) you are not due a refund. If the prepayment was refundable you should communicate with the parties involved by email, not by phone. What role does Travelocity have in this transaction since you apparently did not book through them?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did you book a nonrefundable rate? When did you book it and when did you cancel?

You wouldn’t get a check- you would get a credit back to the credit card you paid with.

We need more information about the cancellation policy your reservation had.

Jun 9, 2021
I stand corrected. The reservation was made thru Rodeway Inn on February 28, 2020 and our credit card reflects a charge of $74.35 by Rodeway Inn on February 28, 2020. (Travelocity cited previously was in error.)
The cancellation policy per our paperwork says, "Free cancellation until May 5, 2020. We cancelled the reservation on April 5, 2020.

When we did not get satisfaction from the Rodeway Inn after multiple attempts over the months, I contacted Choice Hotels on April 7th of this year because the original cancellation confirmation paperwork that came from Rodeway on April 5, 2020 says "We appreciate your business with Choice Hotels and gives confirmation #43957319. It notes the reservation date of May 6-May 7, 2020 and also notes next to "Reservation Status", Cancelled. (See pics below).
2020 04 05 Rodeway Inn Cancellation Confirmation (2).jpg

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
I think it’s time to escalate this to the executives at Choice. You had a rate where cancellation was permitted and you canceled within their timeframe. The franchisee is dragging its feet; perhaps an executive at Choice can get their attention:

Write to the lowest-level contact on the list first. A simple, bulleted email is best. Do not include your attachments—it may filter your email to spam—instead offer to send them if they need them. Include those confirmation numbers and cancellation confirmation numbers. Wait at least one week before moving to the next contact.

I think an executive at Choice can get this moving for you.

Reactions: jsn55 and Skippy

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This doesn’t help us. We need to see the original reservation you made for the cancellation policy. If you have it, please post it with all your personal information blacked out. If it was nonrefundable, canceling it doesn’t give you a refund

Reactions: Comicman

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think it’s time to escalate this to the executives at Choice. You had a rate where cancellation was permitted and you canceled within their timeframe. The franchisee is dragging its feet; perhaps an executive at Choice can get their attention:

Write to the lowest-level contact on the list first. A simple, bulleted email is best. Do not include your attachments—it may filter your email to spam—instead offer to send them if they need them. Include those confirmation numbers and cancellation confirmation numbers. Wait at least one week before moving to the next contact.

I think an executive at Choice can get this moving for you.
I agree with Alexander. Since there seems to be multiple entities involved here, be sure to check your list of the facts to avoid any confusion for the reader of your letter.