Seeking refund from Delta Airlines due to terrorist attack in Paris

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
@technomage1, I think the OP does not anticipate using a credit which only lasts a year, and does not seem to want to fly to international destinations on her own and has no need for a domestic flight credit. I am not giving into fear at all, but I would question why someone who likely does not fly often would want to spend the money to go to Europe under that environment. Brussels is on lock down today, with subways closed and the request for restaurants, museums, and such to close. Realistically I can understand why one would not want to spend money to go to Europe to be told to stay in their hotel room. That is being practical and not an issue of giving in to fear. I am still riding the NYC subways and will be going to Europe in early December for business, but for the situation of the OP a trip to Paris alone at the end of November just did not seem to be a good idea. Perhaps I am over sensitive to her situation, as she is a recent widow, and senior citizen who does not like to go abroad alone, but I just did not see it as a practical use of her financial resources. I did not mean to sound snarky but this is my third trip to Paris this year and the atmosphere is different.
I understand all of that. However, realistically, the airline owes her nothing. They have been generous giving her a credit - we had a case the other day in the same scenario (cancelled Paris trip) and the airlines gave them nothing. As I noted, she can ask for a refund and there is nothing wrong with that. But I wouldn't expect it. I do hope I'm wrong for her sake.

I understand the atmosphere is different...in Paris, though reports are from people on the ground there the daily life isn't much affected, it's emotional more then anything. Not knocking that, it's to be expected. She could also go to England, or Italy, or Germany as well with the credit. Or to the lovely countryside. Or to several US destinations instead. There are options, and a year is a long time, is all I'm saying.

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Thank you, Christina. You have a firm grasp of my situation. It would be hard to find someone to go to Paris with under ordinary circumstances - but certainly not now. It would be no fun for me to travel alone and especially in view of the threats that Europe is facing. If I do not get a refund I will just consider myself lucky that I only lost $1200 and not my life. What does "OP" mean?
Original Poster.

I do understand your situation and hope you get a refund. If you don't, I encourage you to make lemonaide out of lemons and maybe see parts of the US you would like to see.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Valerie Fee Hang on to the credit while you escalate the refund option. I wouldn't want to go solo either.
You never know what will happen over the next year, you may want to plan a trip with a different friend or group. Perhaps you could request they extend for 3 years.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
What credit card did you use? In light of the Paris attacks, there is an abundance of information deciphering what prepaid, non refundable bookings are covered by cards. I would call your issuer/bank and ask them. They must be getting tons of these requests now and so I imagine a process is underway to direct people to this info.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Valerie, there are hundreds of other places you can travel to with the credit, like the Caribbean, where there are no threats.

Since your friend must be in the same boat with her canceled tickets, why don't you try to get her to go with you?