Sedgwick Claim?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 28, 2019
I've been getting a bit more support by starting with the Avis customer service hotline
- The initial representative insisted that I had to go through Sedgwick
- I escalated it to her supervisor, who insisted the same
- I got the supervisor to escalate it to a manager, who called me back today to say the same thing
- He agreed to escalate this to management, and will get back within 72 hours

Tomorrow is when Sedgwick is claiming my balance will be sent to collections. Any advice on what I should do? @Neil Maley

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sit back and wait. They aren’t going to go to your credit report tomorrow they are trying to scare you.

You are doing all this in writing, not on the phone, correct? Stop using the phone. We tell you to do it in writing. You write to each executive one at a time- no reason to ask to for supervisors. Stay off the phone.

Feb 28, 2019
They have not responded to a single one of my emails to the list of contacts, going back weeks. The only time I've been able to get something written from them is by calling in, escalating one level at a time and having them email me the notes from each of the calls.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Unfortunately, if the insurance hasn't paid the complete debt the company is claiming, then you are probably going to have to decide if you are going to pay it or let it go to collections. Keep in mind the rental agreement is between you and the rental company, not the party that caused the damage. So they have no standing to collect more than they are willing to offer. The other parties insurance company is representing their client, not you, so any release is probably only going to pertain to the agreement between their client and rental agency.

When writing the company you are trying to negotiate with them in an attempt either have them drop the remaining claim or reduce the amount.

If you do pay, you can still pursue a claim against the responsible person for the amounts you paid.

Feb 28, 2019
This is the latest I got from Avis today. They are still insisting that I negotiate directly with Sedgwick, any advice? @Neil Maley @Dwayne Coward

-------------------
Thank you for contacting the ABG Executive Office.

We have reviewed your file referenced above with our Claims Manager. We have been advised that ABG did pursue the claimant carrier and they did pay the damage. However they declined payment for all fees incurred. These fees would remain your contractual responsibility. The charges are listed below:

Balance due: $900.64
LOU: $304.58
ADMIN: $150.00
DOV: $360.07
TOW $85.99

Our records indicated that their office spoke with you on February 26th. Our Claims Office is in a position to negotiate a settlement for the balance due to the mitigating circumstances. You would need to reach their office to begin this process. We regret the inconvenience this issue has caused,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address your concern.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
This is the latest I got from Avis today. They are still insisting that I negotiate directly with Sedgwick, any advice? @Neil Maley @Dwayne Coward

-------------------
Thank you for contacting the ABG Executive Office.

We have reviewed your file referenced above with our Claims Manager. We have been advised that ABG did pursue the claimant carrier and they did pay the damage. However they declined payment for all fees incurred. These fees would remain your contractual responsibility. The charges are listed below:

Balance due: $900.64
LOU: $304.58
ADMIN: $150.00
DOV: $360.07
TOW $85.99

Our records indicated that their office spoke with you on February 26th. Our Claims Office is in a position to negotiate a settlement for the balance due to the mitigating circumstances. You would need to reach their office to begin this process. We regret the inconvenience this issue has caused,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to address your concern.
My advice is still the same. Your position is to negotiate with them to either drop the remaining claim or settle for a lower amount. If you have exhausted your appeals with the rental company to have the claim dropped, you will now have to deal with the claim company.

Feb 28, 2019
If you have any advice on how I should negotiate with them to drop the remaining claim, that would be appreciated. I have 2 channels to negotiate with them right now - 1 is the Executive Office (initial contact was the email shared on this website) and 1 is Customer Service (see latest email from them below).

--------------
This email contact is in response to your recent escalation request. I tried contacting you at [redacted] and was unable to get in touch with you. I have left you a voicemail. I understand you were inquiring about the administration fees our claims department is biiling you.

We are sincerely sorry for this whole inconvenience. Unfortunately, this is not our area of expertise and we do not handle claims. However, have reached out to them on your behalf to see where do we go from here.

I truly apologize, once I receive a response I will email you back.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Avis.

Feb 28, 2019
On the Executive side, the response was to an email I sent 15 days ago to "Manager, Customer Advocacy". 5 days ago I escalated it to the "VP North America Contact Center" but haven't heard a response there yet.

Jan 6, 2015
You said:

5 days ago I escalated it to the "VP North America Contact Center" but haven't heard a response there yet​

Neil is reminding you to wait one week for that person to respond . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You said:

5 days ago I escalated it to the "VP North America Contact Center" but haven't heard a response there yet​

Neil is reminding you to wait one week for that person to respond . . .
Correct. Give it two more days before you move up again. I would also state in my next letter “I wrote to xxxxxxx on xx/xx and xxxxxx on xx/xx and haven’t received any correspondence back from them.”

Let them know who hasn’t replied.

Feb 28, 2019
Got it, understood.

Would love any advice on how to write the email to ABG or Sedgwick to negotiate out of having to pay the balance. In case it's not clear, below are the 4 avenues open and status on each:

1. ABG Customer Service: 2 days ago said they would reach out to Sedgwick Claims (most likely they will push me off to Sedgwick again)
1. ABG Manager: 1 day ago advised me to negotiate with Sedgwick Claims
3. ABG VP - email sent 5 days ago, waiting 2 more days before escalating to CEO (doubt that will be of any use)
4. Sedgwick: 2 days ago said they would send my balance to collections, but they are aware I am currently negotiating with Avis (they opened with an offer to bring the balance down to $500)

Jan 6, 2015
To further Neil's point, if you pay the $500 and the police report identifies the at-fault driver, you could take him/her to small claims court. He/she should pay this.

Getting insurance to pay loss-of-use and admin fees is difficult.

Mar 14, 2018
I don't want to get into another argument about the different types of insurance. So I'm just going to repeat what I said earlier:

1) The other driver and their insurance company are liable to you for any damages you incurred.
2) You need to call them and ask how they wish to deal with the remaining damages.
3) If they refuse to become involved, either get it in writing or note the details of the refusal (name of person, date/time, etc)
4) Settle with Sedgewick for some amount
5) File in small claims court against the other person for that amount plus court costs. Their insurance will pay any judgement (but it's much more likely they will send you a check before it proceeds to court.)