SecretsResorts, part of AMResorts - Keep their Contact Information Secret!

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 30, 2018
I had a bad experience staying at a Secrets Resort (December 2017, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic): this is not "5-Star Luxury" as advertised. The food was mediocre (sometimes cold), service at times was very poor, and the room's air conditioning was faulty so my clothes were damp. On one occasion, tne waiter tried to bully me into eating something after I returned my order because it was greasy. Another insisted my friend and I could not get served until we "high-five" him and called out "Randy on the House". Not the kind of experience you expect at a-5 star resort.

I complained on site and was promised follow up by the General Manager after speaking to his sympathetic Deputy. She said he was away but would inform him of all the details. She admitted they "have a long ways to go" training the staff. The General Manager responded to me only after I sent him a follow up email. His response apologizes several times but he is also defensive. For example, he wrote my clothes were simply "cold", not damp! No compensation offered.

Since his response, I took the matter up with the HQ Customer Service based at AMResorts 7 Campus Boulevard Newtown Square, PA 19073. She was appalled when I shared my experience but she said she did not know what she could do - she obviously has no authority to make a decision. She refused to give me the contact information of any executive at AMResorts. The Internet reveals various names but they keep their phone numbers and email addresses under wraps. So much for being interested in what the customer experiences. They want growth but are unwilling to open themselves to feedback.

This week-long vacation cost over $2000 and I cannot believe this conglomerate gets away with it - no accountability despite their website speaking about a "world-class" resort, "unlimited luxury", "gourmet dining". I was fooled.

Any suggestions or ideas how I can reach someone in authority at AMResorts would be most appreciated.

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
They must have submitted a help request instead of research request. I recommend filling out a research request using link provided above.

Jul 13, 2018
I have an issue with a Dreams resort and I am having the same problem. My travel agent has sent my information to her contacts at AM resorts who have said they have been looking into it but never have gotten a response other than that. We are going on 3 months now. I used the link above to identify the contact Scott Quigley who I emailed over 2 weeks ago with no response. I finally this week emailed Jeff Mullen and Mr. Zozaya at Apple Leisure Group. I am giving them their week to respond, but I am feeling totally helpless with our vacation that cost me over $20,000 and included our wedding! Not sure where to turn next. If I don't hear back, I will submit the information to Elliot.org to see if there is anything you can possibly do to help me. I have been trying to follow the process as designed but now I am more than frustrated!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have an issue with a Dreams resort and I am having the same problem. My travel agent has sent my information to her contacts at AM resorts who have said they have been looking into it but never have gotten a response other than that. We are going on 3 months now. I used the link above to identify the contact Scott Quigley who I emailed over 2 weeks ago with no response. I finally this week emailed Jeff Mullen and Mr. Zozaya at Apple Leisure Group. I am giving them their week to respond, but I am feeling totally helpless with our vacation that cost me over $20,000 and included our wedding! Not sure where to turn next. If I don't hear back, I will submit the information to Elliot.org to see if there is anything you can possibly do to help me. I have been trying to follow the process as designed but now I am more than frustrated!
Why isn't your travel agent helping you? Thats what she or he is paid for. Your travel agent needs to take this up with her Sales Manager and push the issue. You don't say what it is. Get on your travel agent - is is not acceptable she is having you fend for yourself if you have a genuine problem

Jul 13, 2018
That's what I thought too!!! I have literally been following up with her every two weeks but she just says she hasn't heard anything. Today I did my follow up with her and she finally said she would pass it on to her Manager to see if she can get traction on it. Her most recent excuse is that Sun Country is going through staffing changes so they haven't responded. My issue is related to during our stay, there was a shooting on the beach of the resort (Dreams Playa Mujeres). One of the gunmen ran onto the resort property and within 15 feet of my son (age 12) during his escape. The response from the resort while on site was grossly inadequate as they clearly wanted to pretend it never happened. Meanwhile police in tactical gear are searching bushes in front of my room. Needless to say over half of my stay I refused to go on the beach or even have the curtains opened on my beach front room. The wedding beach family fun trip cost me over $20,000 (3 rooms and 7 people total) and I couldn't even enjoy the beach. Now I've been ignored for 3 months, so I'm beyond frustrated. I'm not even sure what adequate compensation would be for all this anymore!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Unfortunately, the Mexican authorities are famous for trying to cover things like this up. That was a freak targeted shooting between drug dealers. The resorts often work with these dealers to keep things like this from happening believe it or not.

Did you ask to be moved to another resort? Did you speak to a Manager about the issue while there to ask about compensating you?

Your agent should contact her AM resort rep, not SunWing. Can I ask what state your agent is? I might be able to find the name of HER AM resort rep. for you.
Even though this was targeted, one of these days I worry a vacationer is going to be killed accidentally.

I am actually staying by at resort in October. I’m not concerned.

Jul 13, 2018
We are located in Minnesota. Based on their response to the incident, I would be very very hard pressed to stay at another AM Resorts property. I know incidents occur and they can't control what happens off property, but they can control their property, their staff, and their response to incidents. I found out in talking to more people, a very similar incident happened 3 months before in the same location so it's not like they had no idea something like this would happen. But to ignore your guests and their concerns afterwards is horrible in my mind. Conveniently everyone at the resort I tried to speak to claimed to have no idea it happened or referred to it as a disagreement between local residents. Very downplayed and no concern that real bullets were fired and one man ran onto the property then who knows where. When guests were running and hiding not one staff member moved or tried to help. No directions given. Nothing. Silence. Very disappointing. Any contact information you have would be wonderful. I booked through travel One in MN. I did hear a vacationer was recently killed as well.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
You could not pay me to spend one minute in Mexico. these days Sure, I know that the violence is "random" but there are lots of nice places to spend time and money. Places that don't have drug cartels running around the neighborhood trying to kill each other. It's sickening that the wonderful, warm, friendly Mexicans are being victimized by criminals ... but reality is reality. US travellers are drawn to Mexico for lots of reasons, chief among them is the affordability. I am so sorry this happened to you, it's just a tragic situation.

Jul 13, 2018
I see that now! Honestly after the situation I'm disappointed in travel agents. I went into one travel office to get their help to book our trip and the person said they would follow back up with me to book our wedding trip. They never did, so I reached out to her (kept her card) with no response again. So I asked a friend who is a former agent for a reference. The one she gave me passed me on to another person at her company who was supposedly better. She was the one we ultimately booked through who has yet to help resolve this. It is our goal to take trips frequently now that we are married but don't trust this travel company anymore. Won't go back to the first one I went into their office. Won't book through the cheap sites. It's all so disheartening to be honest. I just feel defeated.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
- "there was a shooting on the beach of the resort (Dreams Playa Mujeres). One of the gunmen ran onto the resort property "
We are located in Minnesota. Based on their response to the incident, I would be very very hard pressed to stay at another AM Resorts property. I know incidents occur and they can't control what happens off property, but they can control their property, their staff, and their response to incidents. I found out in talking to more people, a very similar incident happened 3 months before in the same location so it's not like they had no idea something like this would happen. But to ignore your guests and their concerns afterwards is horrible in my mind. Conveniently everyone at the resort I tried to speak to claimed to have no idea it happened or referred to it as a disagreement between local residents. Very downplayed and no concern that real bullets were fired and one man ran onto the property then who knows where. When guests were running and hiding not one staff member moved or tried to help. No directions given. Nothing. Silence. Very disappointing. Any contact information you have would be wonderful. I booked through travel One in MN. I did hear a vacationer was recently killed as well.
"When guests were running and hiding not one staff member moved or tried to help. ". What is your expectation about the "help" that staff should have provided in this situation-"there was a shooting on the beach of the resort (Dreams Playa Mujeres). One of the gunmen ran onto the resort property ". Resort staff are no more equipped to deal with this than any non-police personnel. What exactly are you wishing the resort to do for you.? The resort is not an armed/walled fortress. If this risk is not acceptable, there are other locations to visit in other countries.

Feb 9, 2017
You could not pay me to spend one minute in Mexico. these days Sure, I know that the violence is "random" but there are lots of nice places to spend time and money. Places that don't have drug cartels running around the neighborhood trying to kill each other. It's sickening that the wonderful, warm, friendly Mexicans are being victimized by criminals ... but reality is reality. US travellers are drawn to Mexico for lots of reasons, chief among them is the affordability. I am so sorry this happened to you, it's just a tragic situation.
Years ago we traveled to both the east and west coasts of Mexico.
We were aware then that a police presence on the street was comforting. Back then they did not have to hide their faces so the drug cartels could not identify them and kill their families.
Each bank you went into had a guard with a gun handy.
Back then, tourism is what Mexico depended and relied upon. Today, any idiot who goes anywhere in Mexico is taking their own lives in their hands.
The newest thing played down are the people across the USA who are drinking tainted alcohol at all inclusive resorts and dying from it. Look it up. Folks who arrived just hours before wind up floating in the pool and the authorities say they’ve had a heart attack.
Go to Mexico at you own extreme risk