Sears is Unable to Properly Repair my Refrigerator.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 30, 2018
Nearly two months ago, we woke up one morning to a warm refrigerator. There had never been any previous issues. Sears diagnosed the problem as a compressor failure and replaced the compressor. Since that date, the refrigerator cools, but inconsistently, and the freezer will not stay below freezing for more than a couple of days. So, we cannot use it because food constantly thaws and re-freezes. They have come to our home 3 times since that original repair to try and get it to work correctly again. They have replaced two other parts - the computer/board, and the defrost sensor - and neither have had any effect on the problem.

Now, they are saying that there is nothing more they can do. The last repair technician literally did no diagnostic activity and, since it happened to be cold at the time of his visit, advised that we refill the freezer with food and see if it works this time. He left without any resolution.

The appliance is between 4 and 5 years old. The compressor was covered under a 5-year warranty on sealed-system parts, but the rest of the parts/service are not covered. Sears would not refund us those parts, despite the fact that it's still broken. There have been over $200 in parts installed since the original warranty repair to the compressor, and we have opened a dispute with our credit card company for those charges.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Appliances don't last forever - luckily the compressor was covered, correct? You can't go into the car dealership and tell them that your four year old car needs brakes and you don't want to pay for them because you have a 10 year warranty on the drive train- this is similar with the refrigerator - there is wear and tear on all appliances.

We are seeing a big increase in complaints about Sears though. This is the fourth or fifth recent complaint we have had.

We have company contacts on top of our page - read the information on the front page on how to write and use the contacts to write and go up the executive chain one by one. Let us know how you make out.

Apr 30, 2018
I don't expect the refrigerator not to have wear and tear. I just expect a Sears technician to know how to fix it. If I take my 4 year old car into the shop to have the breaks fixed, and the next day it won't stop because the breaks aren't working, I don't expect the mechanic to shrug his shoulders and tell me he can't see anything wrong and advise me to keep driving.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
If you want your refrigerator fixed, stop dealing with Sears. Call an idependant appliance repair guy and have them fix it. Get a recommendation from Angie's List for your area. Sears is going out of business and has zero interest in providing any customer service.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I don't expect the refrigerator not to have wear and tear. I just expect a Sears technician to know how to fix it. If I take my 4 year old car into the shop to have the breaks fixed, and the next day it won't stop because the breaks aren't working, I don't expect the mechanic to shrug his shoulders and tell me he can't see anything wrong and advise me to keep driving.
I agree with AMA - use another appliance repairman. Sears is no longer the giant it once was - their appliances don't seem to hold up anymore and apparently neither do their repairmen. We do have company contacts on top of our page - you can write to Sears (I think they are listed under retail) and complain about the repair person. Don't know they will do anything but give it a try.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This kind of issue is just maddening. Sears has been in deep financial trouble for years, and I'm so sorry you bought your refrigerator there. I agree with AMA, a "real" technician can fix it because s/he will first diagnose it. And I'll bet they've seen all kinds of faulty Sears appliances over the last ten years.

Treating your customers they way they've treated you is just deplorable. I urge you to start an email campaign per Neil's post, and ask them for reimbursement of the repairs plus a $500 gift certificate ... as far as I know their other products aren't awful ... clothes, shoes etc. It's a long shot, but Be very polite but tell them that they owe you some compensation for what you've been through, not to mention the repair bill when someone actually fixes the thing.

Sep 19, 2015
I would look at getting an independent repair technician and using that info and cost in the attempt to dispute the repair charge.

I would also google the model and see how many other complaints there are with the same model and see if there are any suggestions

As for finding a proper technician I would ask friends and neighbors for their recommendations— I would be hesitant to trust some random internet sites that take ads.

On another point it is very depressing what has happened to Sears. I bought a Kenmore vacuum in the early 90s (my first vacuum after college) that lasted 20 years and my father used to love craftsman tools. They actually had good products — even if they did not manufacture them there was quality control in the sourcing. And the current CEO hedge fund guy has been bleeding the company dry and destroying it for years

technomage1

Verified Member
Jan 5, 2015
Modern fridges they overclock the compressor - the most expensive part - and virtually guranantee the thing will fail just after the warranty period ends. Another problem is that the computers/circuit boards inside the appliances now. My LG dryer fried a circuit board, and no replacements or refurbished ones were available, period. New dryer time, unfortunately. I actually used Sears repair and had a positive experince with them. I wound up paying the $50 a month for the Home Warranty, one year commitment, which covers all appliances, and since mine was not repairable got a $500 credit towards a new machine.

Prior to doing anything else, I would vaccum the coils beind or under the fridge and check the condenser fan. The next time it fails, check the back to see if it's frozen up. I think it's either a timer issue or a thermostat issue, but it could be lack of refridgerant too. But knowing if it's freezing or not while off will help your repair person diagnose the issue.

Regardless, you're right that the repair person should know or have a reasonable idea of how to fix it. As others have noted, I would ask Sears for a refund of any money you paid towards the rather worthless service calls. Then look for your local repair guy. The internet is great, but I'd ask around for personal recommendations or use your local offline search engine (yellow pages). I usually find the yellow pages better for appliance repair, etc.