"Sears Home Services" Misrepresent their services

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 16, 2019
I've run into similar situations with BGE Home Service (Baltimore Gas & Electric). These businesses are only interested in amassing as many monthly/yearly subscribers as possible. They then staff as few help desk and technicians as possible. I once called on a Saturday and explained that my HVAC unit was leaking water, I was told they could have a tech on-site in 8 days. You're better off finding a local small business who's actual livelihood depends on good service. This is easier said than done as the larger companies like Sears, BGE, BestBuy/GeekSquad have driven many smaller people out of business.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I've run into similar situations with BGE Home Service (Baltimore Gas & Electric). These businesses are only interested in amassing as many monthly/yearly subscribers as possible. They then staff as few help desk and technicians as possible. I once called on a Saturday and explained that my HVAC unit was leaking water, I was told they could have a tech on-site in 8 days. You're better off finding a local small business who's actual livelihood depends on good service. This is easier said than done as the larger companies like Sears, BGE, BestBuy/GeekSquad have driven many smaller people out of business.
Sears is the one being driven out of business and Best Buy may not be far behind.

Aug 8, 2019
Check the complaints we have about other brands-besides Sears there is another brand you might want to stay away from due to many complaints we have here.
Thanks, Neil!
Here's my final report on the outcome of my problem with the Sears refrigerator. After several changes in the date at which they could re-send a technician, I was fed up and decided to go ahead and buy a new one -- obviously NOT a Sears product. Therefore I canceled the final follow-up appointment they had booked me for (I got tired of having all the food in my fridge - eggs, juice, fruit, cheese,,etc. - frozen, and bought a new fridge, a few days ago.) Today I got a phone call from their corporate office, from the person whose contact info you gave me originally, and she said she noticed I had canceled the appointment and did I want to rebook. I told her once again (as I had before, when they couldn't give me an appointment for 2 weeks) that the result of the previous technician was that everything in my fridge had frozen, andI explained that I had purchased a new one. She said that I should have waited to buy one at Sears, and that they would have given me a 10% discount. I told her that it was too late, and that considering my experience with Sears I had chosen NOT to buy another Sears product. I said that I was still unhappy that I had paid $79 for a technician who had just made things worse. She said that they couldn't do anything about it because they had no "confirmation" that my refrigerator had cooled down even more after the technician's adjustment. I said, you and I spoke about this after it happened, and again today. She said, Well we would need proof - which we would get only if you had a second visit by our technician. (In other words, she's suggesting that I could have made this up!) Believe me, the whole time I spoke in a very polite voice using polite language. I wasn't surprised at her response, but it just confirmed the poor customer service by Sears. I don't think I would buy another Sears product.

Jul 30, 2018
Where can I find these other brands????
Although I own an LG washer and dryer since 2012 and haven't had any problems (knock on wood), I have seen LG dubbed "largely garbage" many times on this forum in reference to a variety of appliances.

When we remodeled our kitchen two years ago, we subscribed to Consumers Reports to access their online database and advice on the kitchen appliances we were about to spend a small fortune on. Truly money well spent!

Aug 8, 2019
Wait! Sears offered you 10% off if you did business with them again? When they regularly have sales offering 40% off?
Wait! Sears offered you 10% off if you did business with them again? When they regularly have sales offering 40% off?
Yes. And that was supposed to be compensation for the $79 I spent on a Sears Home Service call regarding a refrigerator whose freezer was way too cold --a service call in which the technician changed the settings, resulting in the entire refrigerator freezing its contents. I just thanked her politely, and then went on this forum to describe the latest evidence of poor service.

Aug 8, 2019
Where can I find these other brands????
Sorry, my question was, "Where can I find the other complaints?" Regarding the brands, I always research products on Consumer Reports before buying them, but it's harder to find current complaints about some specific products. That's the great thing about these forums.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I haven't bought a Sears product since they couldn't even sell me a bicycle 25 years ago. Well, they would have sold it to me, but nobody could answer any of my questions. It's been an awful store for much too long and I feel badly for consumers who haven't gotten the word yet. Another American icon down the drain, sigh.

Jul 30, 2018
I haven't bought a Sears product since they couldn't even sell me a bicycle 25 years ago. Well, they would have sold it to me, but nobody could answer any of my questions. It's been an awful store for much too long and I feel badly for consumers who haven't gotten the word yet. Another American icon down the drain, sigh.
*sigh* oh the nostalgia! Those solid American-made Lady Kenmore appliances!

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Talk to Lowes, Home Depot or Costco (or other large, financially solid retailers of multiple brands) and see what their customer service policies and extended warranties are. Find one that you feel comfortable with. Or visit your local independent appliance dealer.

Aug 8, 2019
Talk to Lowes, Home Depot or Costco (or other large, financially solid retailers of multiple brands) and see what their customer service policies and extended warranties are. Find one that you feel comfortable with. Or visit your local independent appliance dealer.
That's excellent advice for buying ANY appliance these days.