"Sears Home Services" Misrepresent their services

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 8, 2019
A year ago, in response to a mass mailing I got from Sears, I paid Sears Home Services inspect several of my appliances . My washing machine didn't work right afterwards, so they had to send another technician to undo the changes they had made while testing it. They said the refrigerator was fine. For many months my refrigerator's freezer (at the top of the fridge) has been too cold, and in addition some foods below the freezer, in the fridge, have frozen. I ignored it for a long time, then finally called their Home Services, 1 800-MY-HOME and described the problem. They said they would need to schedule a technician to come to my home for $99. When he heard my complaint and found the freezer temperature to be too low, he told me that the settings were too high and changed them in an instant. He apologized, agreeing that they could have easily asked about the settings when I phoned. He agreed tp a $20 discount. He suggested that if I was still unhappy about paying for the visit I should call their Resolution Dept. He gave me his Sears Blue Service Crew business card, which on the front said in bold letters, "We're here to help," and on the back said in bold letters, "We're always here when you need us." ,The back also said, "Concerns about your service call today? Call our Resolution Hotline now. 1 888-236-1885." I did, and it turns out they'd never heard of a "Resolution Hotline." Each employee I spoke with transferred me to a supposedly more knowledgeable employee, until the final one told me that they don't do any diagnoses on the phone, just schedule appointments. I wasted over 45 minutes on the phone, with Sears with no result.​

Yes, I'd love to get the $79 back, but what really upsets me is the misinformation they are giving customers!!!! They don't seem to be there to "help," just to schedule expensive home visits. They don't even provide the option of answering simple questions! They could have easily told me to look for the settings etc. And I can't find a way to actually communicate with some higher ups in their administration. I'd like to know whether the Sears
corporation still exists so that hopefully they are amenable to improving their currently very poor Sears Home Service which is not the way they represent it. Is there still a national corporate leadership that is interested in customer relations, or are they currently in disarray and no longer have any accountability. If they're on the way out, I just have to give up trying to contact them and improve their service. If they are still functioning, then I want to know who to contact. Thanks! IMG_1983 2 2.jpeg

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Presumably you have the manuals for all your appliances. Before scheduling expensive repair calls, you should carefully read the "troubleshooting" section in each manual to see if your problem is identified. More than once I've found a simple solution to an appliance problem, such as replacing an air conditioner filter, that I could do myself rather than paying a repairperson.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I wish you would have checked reviews of this company before you bought.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sitejabber.com/reviews/searshomeservices.com/amp

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/ontario/p...s-home-services-1066-1004502/customer-reviews

Please note that the BBB shows an A- rating but reviews are not taken into account with ratings. Go figure. They have had more than 11,000 complaints in the last 3 years, over 3,000 in the last year and they can maintain an A rating simply because they respond to a complaint, not necessarily fixing it.

Aug 8, 2019
Here are the Sears contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/sears/

Sears has filed for bankruptcy and "reorganized". This is not the Sears you knew from the old days.

You can email the contacts and see if they will respond. They have laid off many employees and the better ones left long ago for secure jobs elsewhere.
Presumably you have the manuals for all your appliances. Before scheduling expensive repair calls, you should carefully read the "troubleshooting" section in each manual to see if your problem is identified. More than once I've found a simple solution to an appliance problem, such as replacing an air conditioner filter, that I could do myself rather than paying a repairperson.
The refrigerator is 25 years old and otherwise functioning well. I no longer have the manual. . .

Aug 8, 2019

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sitejabber.com/reviews/searshomeservices.com/amp

https://www.bbb.org/us/ca/ontario/p...s-home-services-1066-1004502/customer-reviews

Please note that the BBB shows an A- rating but reviews are not taken into account with ratings. Go figure. They have had more than 11,000 complaints in the last 3 years, over 3,000 in the last year and they can maintain an A rating simply because they respond to a complaint, not necessarily fixing it.
Neil, I too

Neil, I too wish I had checked the BBB first but obviously I didn't think of it! Now I know better!

Aug 8, 2019

Sears has filed for bankruptcy and "reorganized". This is not the Sears you knew from the old days.

You can email the contacts and see if they will respond. They have laid off many employees and the better ones left long ago for secure jobs elsewhere.

Thanks for providing the link! I wrote to Rob Baker, VP Customer Experience, and we'll see if I even get a reply!!!!!! I guess I wasn't as aware as I should have been that the whole company is vanishing.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you have gotten 25 years out of a refrigerator you have gotten more than your money’s worth. There comes a time when repairs just don’t make sense.

What would you have done if you hadn’t called them with the freezer issue? Eventually you would have had to call someone who might have come out, faked a repair or did what they did to your washer- fixed something and broke it. Or you might have bought a new fridge you don’t need yet. No appliance repair company tries to diagnose over the phone and suggest you turn down your settings despite what the technician told you. An online search might have helped - I just did a google search for "my freezer is freezing refrigerated food" and the first thing it said was to check the freezer (and refrigerator)controls, they may be set too cold.

You had a service person come out that was honest and didn’t rip you off. To me that would be worth what you paid. You would have paid for a service call if it were through Sears or someone else.

Jun 24, 2019
Consumer Reports has a chart which advises when to repair and when to replace. As I read it, they do not recommend repairing a refrigerator which is more than 8 years old.

We have two refrigerators, a 23 year old which has never been repaired, and an 8 year old Kenmore that has been repaired three times (twice under warranty) and for which Sears declined to add to our dishwasher maintenance policy, and, if added, they would exclude the reasons we had them out the prior three times. So been there, done that with the Sears hard sell. Dishwasher service has been hit-or-miss, and for the first several years there were multiple service calls because the dishes did not get clean, until Sears finally just replaced the controls, and the problem cleared up.

Aug 8, 2019
THE OUTCOME: Thank you Neil and SoCal for your comments. You might be interested in the outcome of this case. I did email the Sears Vice President for Customer Experience and I got a call from Debora from their office at 888-266-4040 X28. Gotta give them credit for responding! In response to my letter, Debora said to me, "The Resolution Hotline does exist!! The resolution is that they explain to you that their only option is to schedule an appointment. Customer service can't tell you anything." She insisted that the information on the back of the card is correct -- I just didn't understand what Resolution is. End of case.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Re the fridge - maybe try googling the model number, someone may have put the manual online. I've found manuals for old appliances this way (including my vintage typewriter!)
Good luck!
This is so true ... I do keep everything forever, but haven't dug into that file drawer in several years. Hello, Google? Not only do you find manuals, you often find a little thread where people share their experiences.

The discussion about the Resolution Center absolutely cracked me up, Jennifer. Yes, of course it exists! It resolves nothing, but they do answer the phone. Communication today with retail businesses is amazing.

Aug 8, 2019
Yes, the Resolution story would be funny if it weren't so pathetic. So typical of too many businesses.

Regarding the refrigerator, now that the technician changed the settings, I have to wait a few days to let it recalibrate itself (he said), and if it's still too cold I will definitely look for the manual online!!! I have certainly learned some lessons from this experience! And thanks to all of you who wrote comments. This is my first experience on an Elliott forum, and I just love the sense of community!

Aug 8, 2019
Oops -- no outcome yet! The technician who came on Thursday, 2 days ago told me the temperature of the freezer and refrigerator should be higher within 24 hours. But this morning when I took out a large plastic container of lemonade from the refrigerator it was frozen!! that had never happened before. And the temperature in the freezer (I now have a thermometer in it) was colder. So I called Sears Home Services telling them that the technician's changes had worsened the problem. They said they would send another technician, at no charge, and the first opening they have is August 24th, that's 2 weeks. I asked if it could be sooner, and they said they would send a message to the technician who was here, and tell him what happened, and "If between now and August 24th he has a cancellation, he'll contact you."

Regarding finding information online, I looked everywhere in the fridge and freezer for information about the model, but all I could find were stickers saying Sears and Kenmore. Perhaps if I can get a neighbor to move the refrigerator, I'll find the model number on the back. . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I hate to say it but it might be time for new refrigerator. The cost of fixing a 25 year old appliance may not make sense. Please see the post SoCal made- Consumer Reports doesn’t recommend repairing a refrigerator more than 8 years old.

Aug 8, 2019
Neil, I totally agree!!! I'm about to start looking up what Consumer Reports recommends. That certainly makes more sense than waiting 2 weeks for anything!!!! This has been a real learning experience for me.