Sears Complaint on Customer Service at Sears Store #1171 at 2825 South Glenstone, Springfield, Missouri

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 6, 2019
Hello Sir or Ma’am,

My name is KC and my Complaint Case Number is: 6xxxxx2

My wife and I purchased 3 – 60 LED Rechargeable Flashlights for Christmas gifts on Black Friday the Day after Thanksgiving (23 November 2018) at Sears Store #1171 at 2825 South Glenstone, Springfield, Missouri 65804.

I’m Retired Air Force and our family is spread across the country. Our extended Family Christmas’s were not completed until 20 January 2019, since we finally got to get our families together.

My Dad called me on 2 February 2019 and asked me if I had used my flashlight that my wife got for my Christmas gift. I said not yet. So my Dad started telling me about his flashlight not working at all. My Dad plugged the flashlight in the charger and after a few minutes the flashlight went from RED to GREEN light within a few minutes, signaling it was fully charged. My Dad unplugged the flashlight and the light lasted a few seconds. My Dad plugged the flashlight back in the charger again and the flashlight went from RED and to GREEN again in about 2 minutes. This time the flashlight would not work.

I (KC) opened my flashlight on 3 February 2019 and plugged in the charger into the portable flashlight. The charging light lit up RED initially and about 5 minutes it went to GREEN, signaling it was charged. I unplugged it and turned the light on and it lasted about 10 seconds. It functioned just like my Dad’s did. So I called my Father-in-law to ask him if he used his flashlight yet. He said “No, it was still in the package and he had been sick for two weeks”. My Father-in-law charged his flashlight and his flashlight operated the same way as the other 2 flashlights.

Our home address is XXXX, Missouri. We have no Sears stores close to us, since the 2 stores have closed that were within 15 miles. My wife and I finally got a chance to go to Springfield, Missouri on 23 February 2019. We went to Sears Store in Battlefield Mall in Springfield, Missouri and spoke to Landon (Sears Sales Clerk) at tools sales desk. We briefed Landon on our issues with the lights and he briefed us that they had none of these lights in stock. Landon looked in the computer and stated there’s a shipment coming in on 1 March 2019, and that we could come back up and they would replace the ones we had. We said okay and Thanked him for his assistance. Landon, also gave us a phone number to call Craftsman warranty to see if they can so something for us since we have 3 bad lights. The odds of having three lights that don’t keep charge should indicate an issue with the lights themselves.

My wife and I drove back to Springfield on 2 March 2019 to get these Christmas gifts (3 – 60 LED Rechargeable Lights) replaced from the Sears Store at Battlefield Mall in Springfield, Missouri. We went back to the tools sales desk and we met a female sales associate, told her the situation and she referred us back with Landon who had helped us the previous weekend since he was aware of the situation we have with these lights.

Landon got up to the sales desk and a female was assisting Landon. Landon look in the computer and stated “No 60 LED Rechargeable lights came in on trailers”, so Landon called the Manager on Duty and Landon briefed him on the flashlight issues. He told Landon to refund the money for the 3 rechargeable lights. Landon and the female sales associate started the process in refunding my money back to me. The computer at the tool’s sales desk would not take this process, so the female sales associate advised Landon that he probably had to go back to the main office to complete the refund process. Landon was gone between 10 to 15 minutes and he came back with another Sears employee.

My wife and I went back to the tools sales counter to get my driver’s license back (That Landon took back with him to complete the refunding process). This is when I met Store Manager Mr. Matt Sullentrup. Mr. Sullentrup opened one of the flashlight packages and plugged the charger into an electrical outlet and the charging light went from RED to GREEN within a few seconds. He pushed the button and the light operated for a few seconds. Mr. Matt Sullentrup stated to me “That we had them charging all the time and damaged the batteries”. I said no Sir. We plugged in the chargers and it went from RED to GREEN in a very short time like the flashlights were fully charged. They appear to be working but when you try a little later they are dead again like they were never charged. There is a problem with the charging system of the lights when it appears they are charged and then don’t work.

Mr. Sullentrup stated he could not refund our account for these lights, but could order new lights. I stated “My wife and I were here last Saturday (23 February 2019) and we were advised to come back up on 1 March 2019 to get replacement lights, which were not available. So Mr. Sullentrup wanted us to drive back again now for a third time to exchange the lights, unacceptable when we have to travel 80+ miles, waste fuel, wear and tear on our vehicles for a $20.00 light that may or may not be there.

I briefed this to Mr. Matt Sullentrup that we were advised to come back up to pick the replacement lights and he said “OH WELL and he couldn’t help with this issue”. I advised Mr. Sullentrup that Landon looked in the computer and stated some of the lights were coming into the store on 1 March 2019 on a freight truck. I’m upset that we wasted our fuel, wear & tear on my truck, and our precious time. Mr. Sullentrup stated in front on all customer “That he would take care of Landon on what he briefed us on 23 February 2019 that the 60 LED lights would be there on 1 March 2019, after we left.” I’m worried that Landon got in trouble for no reason. REPRISAL. If the computer stated the 60 LED Rechargeable lights were supposed to be there and they did not come in is not Landon’s fault. Matt stated he could get the 3 – 60 LED Lights on Order and get them into the store and I would have to come back up to the store. I stated “Why can’t you send them to my house” and he stated no. I would have to come back up. I said NO. I just came up today to pick them up and it was a wasted trip for nothing.

Manager on Duty (Mr. Matt Sullentrup) Customer Service is the worst I have ever witnessed!! We were going to purchase Combination Router and Router Table, plus order a Proform Hybrid Bike and Elliptical Pro Workout machine, on 2 March 2019 while we were there, until I met this Manager on Duty.
  • Mr. Matt Sullentrup’s customer service is the worst that I ever seen in my 31 years in. the Department of Defense (Since I have been all over the World) and very unprofessional!
  • All 3 rechargeable lights do not work
  • My extra trip back to Springfield, Missouri for nothing! Wasted of personal expenses and time.
Edited by a moderator to remove case number

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 19, 2014
Sears is on the verge of liquidation, so I believe you are going to get nowhere with any complaints.

Unless you are doing it for the principle, i would write off the $60 ($20 X 3) and just never do business with Sears again.

If this is worth your time and convictions, contact an executive at Sears and see if they will send you the replacement lights.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mar 14, 2018
Sears is not on the verge of liquidation or of going out of business. In February, they were bought out of bankruptcy by their largest shareholder who plans to keep operating the stores. They may continue to have terrible customer service and not help the OP, but bankruptcy will not be the reason (at least for now).

I saw that many people on the Sears web site are having the same issue as the OP. One person said they found a fix:

my light was not working correctly out of the box but I figured out how to fix it. It would stop charging after about a minute and it would only work for a couple of minutes. Do this at your own risk and don’t leave it unattended while you do this (although this is pretty safe). I solved it by charging it for a half hour while having the light turned on. After that I disconnect the charger and leave the light on fully lit for like an hour to discharge. After that recharging it again for four hours. If it stops charging after a short while, turn the full light on for like a minute and then switch it to flashlight and leave it charging (with the red charging LED on and the flashlight on) for the four hours. I could be wrong but my guess for why this happens is that the unused battery is unformed and hits its full charge voltage while it still has little current capacity. If the battery is loaded down while charging that prevents it from easily hitting the full charge voltage, allowing it to form and store a charge. You are loading it down by having the light on while charging. You may have to use the full light for a few minutes and then change it to flashlight when charging so it will charge faster and not trigger the full charge quickly. Hope this works for those with issues.​

Mar 6, 2019
Mar 6, 2019
Sears is not on the verge of liquidation or of going out of business. In February, they were bought out of bankruptcy by their largest shareholder who plans to keep operating the stores. They may continue to have terrible customer service and not help the OP, but bankruptcy will not be the reason (at least for now).

I saw that many people on the Sears web site are having the same issue as the OP. One person said they found a fix:

my light was not working correctly out of the box but I figured out how to fix it. It would stop charging after about a minute and it would only work for a couple of minutes. Do this at your own risk and don’t leave it unattended while you do this (although this is pretty safe). I solved it by charging it for a half hour while having the light turned on. After that I disconnect the charger and leave the light on fully lit for like an hour to discharge. After that recharging it again for four hours. If it stops charging after a short while, turn the full light on for like a minute and then switch it to flashlight and leave it charging (with the red charging LED on and the flashlight on) for the four hours. I could be wrong but my guess for why this happens is that the unused battery is unformed and hits its full charge voltage while it still has little current capacity. If the battery is loaded down while charging that prevents it from easily hitting the full charge voltage, allowing it to form and store a charge. You are loading it down by having the light on while charging. You may have to use the full light for a few minutes and then change it to flashlight when charging so it will charge faster and not trigger the full charge quickly. Hope this works for those with issues.​
Thank you

Mar 6, 2019
Sears is on the verge of liquidation, so I believe you are going to get nowhere with any complaints.

Unless you are doing it for the principle, i would write off the $60 ($20 X 3) and just never do business with Sears again.

If this is worth your time and convictions, contact an executive at Sears and see if they will send you the replacement lights.
Thank you

Mar 14, 2018
Sears Holdings is still in bankruptcy. ESL Investments bought all the assets (Sears and KMart stores, Kenmore, Craftsman, etc) for $5.2B in February. They are no longer operating in bankruptcy. ESL has stated that they will continue to honor all customer programs (warranties, protection plans, loyalty programs...).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Sears Holdings is still in bankruptcy. ESL Investments bought all the assets (Sears and KMart stores, Kenmore, Craftsman, etc) for $5.2B in February. They are no longer operating in bankruptcy. ESL has stated that they will continue to honor all customer programs (warranties, protection plans, loyalty programs...).
What they say and what they do are two different things.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I’m just wondering...
If you get no results from the vendor, would a credit card chargeback work?
If one has unsuccessfully tried to work with the vendor, and one has, in effect, no merchandise that is usable, would a chargeback be successful?

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I’m just wondering...
If you get no results from the vendor, would a credit card chargeback work?
If one has unsuccessfully tried to work with the vendor, and one has, in effect, no merchandise that is usable, would a chargeback be successful?
The purchase was in November. It may be too late for a chargeback.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I’m not asking for just this complaint.
I’m wondering, in general, does this scenario fit the parameters of a credit card dispute.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I’m not asking for just this complaint.
I’m wondering, in general, does this scenario fit the parameters of a credit card dispute.
Many credit cards, including vendor-specific cards (like Costco), provide extended warranties on purchases as a benefit, not requiring a chargeback. That might apply depending on the card.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
The OP needs to use our company contacts and write one by one to the Executives. There is no reason why Sears can’t give him a refund and I believe if he writes as we advise to create a paper trail he’ll be assisted. We aren’t talking about hundreds of dollars.

I also believe they could have filed a credit card dispute and I’d call my credit card company and find out what my options are. Sometimes exceptions can be made to the rules.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Purchase protection don’t cover a non working item.
Extended warranty on a $20 flashlight ? It would cost more to try to fix than the original price.
Not very practical to file a claim on that.
It is really surprising that sears is not standing behind their products.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Purchase protection don’t cover a non working item.
Extended warranty on a $20 flashlight ? It would cost more to try to fix than the original price.
Not very practical to file a claim on that.
It is really surprising that sears is not standing behind their products.
If you look through the recent forum posts you will see that Sears has not been standing behind their products for some time. Possibly because they have been selling low-quality items since their previous suppliers have been unwilling to sell them products due to their bankruptcy.