Sears autoshop caused irreparable damages to my van's frame & floorboard

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2018
On Nov 20th, 2016 During oil change on Our good condition ford windstar van, the Sears batteries, tires auto shop caused irreparable damages to the entire pinched welding spots that holds floor metal sheets to frame metal beams from the front to back & sides rocking panels of my 1995 windstar van when used wrong lifters/hoists to lift the van off the ground. Sears shop Technicians were suppose to use SPACERS to protect the pinched welding job. This requirements is set by the FORD company. I complained to technician that you killed the van, as we had spent more than $5 K to repair & maintain the van, as we had our kids memories there. The shop manager is to blame as she made technician to use the wrong lift, that totaled the van. Sears has r sedgwick claim management services. Their rep. Chris Ruiz rejected responsibilities because of preexisting 2 spoon size dents that chris ruiz calls pre existing damages to frame & floor & side panels. Bigger one is near the Lt. Headlight & #2 is next to Rt tail light. My Claim or File Number is L1xxxxxxxxx-0001. Fax for sedgwick 866 876 7050 & agent chris ruiz number is 866-352-1521. We checked NAD book that gave value of our van to be $2750.oo when it got total thru negligence practiced,acts of Sears autoshop . Please note that shortly before the disastrous acts from sears , I had spent few thousand on new tires & battery from sears, 9-shop Hours water pump exchange with serpentine belt replaced , 3-shop hours steering pump & hi pressure hose exchange & other needed jobs. Our goal was to preserve & use the van as member of the family. Our 2 years grace period to file in small claims court ending soon, hence I need help quickly to recover $2750.oo value of my damages even thou we spent more on above mentioned items repairs& new parts. issude

Edited by a moderator to remove claim number

Last edited by a moderator:

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Since this happened approx 2 yrs ago it’s unlikely anything can been done at this late date. Further complicating this matter is Sears is days from bankruptcy if the Business News and WSJ are to be believed.

Sep 19, 2015
So the insurance company is saying they are not liable at all? And denied the claim?

I am not a car person at all so I cannot comment on the technical aspects of the lifts and all.

Some Sears auto repairs are franchises, some owned by Sears. As pointed out by JVillagegirl541 Sears may be filing for bankruptcy very soon.

Since this is a negligence issue you would likely be dealing with the insurance company in small claims court. That means you need to have some sort of argument to fight the adjusters in court. At this point you may need to file in small claims court.

Consumer advocates have little sway in insurance disputes.

Feb 16, 2018
I’m not sure how you came to find the $2,750 figure, running the van with all options I could only get $2000, and that was in excellent condition. You won’t be entitled to any more than actual list value not matter how much money you have invested. You may wish to see if you can negotiate any amount as a settlement.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have a company contact page above. I would suggest you use them right away and see if you can contact Sears. They are getting ready to file for bankruptcy. Plus this is two years old - not sure if there is a statute of limitations you can sue for.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
There are two issues here. One is the damage to your van for which you should be compensated.

The other is the fact that you have been spending money on the van ($5000+) which is really worth ~$1000+/-. Every $$$ you put into the van still will leave you with a vehicle worth ~$1000 and many more failing parts still to fail. It is time to get whatever compensation from Sears (~$1000 at most) and move on to a reliable newer vehicle.
Unfortunately, with the current status of Sears, your chances of compensation are diminishing daily. If you file in small claims court you may win but have an unenforceable claim due to bankruptcy. In spite of its sentimental value, you have a very old, deteriorating vehicle.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/10/business/sears-time-running-out/index.html
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/10/10/sears-bankruptcy/1587171002/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradthomas/2018/10/10/sears-bankruptcy/#43637fff2507

Apr 3, 2016
What has been going on for the 2 years since this happened? You do not give any details of what you have been doing to recover for the damages. Why have you waited so long to go to small claims court ?

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
As your post noted, you have 5 weeks left to sue in small claims court. You should initiate the claim, but if Sears declares bankruptcy, as is expected VERY soon, there will be no money in going forward with a suit.

So the insurance company is saying they are not liable at all? And denied the claim?

I am not a car person at all so I cannot comment on the technical aspects of the lifts and all.

Some Sears auto repairs are franchises, some owned by Sears. As pointed out by JVillagegirl541 Sears may be filing for bankruptcy very soon.

Since this is a negligence issue you would likely be dealing with the insurance company in small claims court. That means you need to have some sort of argument to fight the adjusters in court. At this point you may need to file in small claims court.

Consumer advocates have little sway in insurance disputes.
As news media reported AMAZON BOUGHT SEARS HOLDINGS THAT INCLUDES KMART, [about a year ago].

I’m not sure how you came to find the $2,750 figure, running the van with all options I could only get $2000, and that was in excellent condition. You won’t be entitled to any more than actual list value not matter how much money you have invested. You may wish to see if you can negotiate any amount as a settlement.
That was from autorepair shop that uses NADA National Auto Dealer bible to get price.

Mar 14, 2018
AMAZON BOUGHT SEARS HOLDINGS THAT INCLUDES K-MART [about one year ago]. Per business rules sears is in good financial status. And new owners are to take care of all liabilities.

This is completely untrue. The only Amazon deal is for Sears to install tires bought on Amazon.

Sears is expected to file for bankruptcy within days.

Jul 27, 2016
AMAZON BOUGHT SEARS HOLDINGS THAT INCLUDES K-MART [about one year ago]. Per business rules sears is in good financial status. And new owners are to take care of all liabilities.
Even if Amazon had bought Sears (which they didn't), that wouldn't necessarily mean they inherited all the liabilities. Would depend on the structure of the transaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.