SEARS Appliance Service

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 7, 2019
I arranged to have my Kitchenaid gas range serviced by SEARS Appliance Service, there was to be a $99.00 diagnosis visit charge for the visit with any parts needed supplied at an extra charge. The technician diagnosed the problem as a defective hot surface igniter and quoted me a repair cost of $331.00, (I see my cardiologist for less money) while I was out of the room discussing the cost of the repair with my wife the technician proceeded to perform the repair. When I returned to the room the repair was in progress to the point that it had to be completed to make the range operable. I commented on the technician's hasty actions in starting the repair he then said that he thought that I had agreed to the $331.00 estimate, he then offered to give me 20% off of the cost of the repair. Even with the discount the repair cost $268.00 with the new igniter being $60.00 of that cost.
When the repair was completed and I had paid the $268.00, and I said that I had not agreed to the repair estimate, he referred me to a document that he had sent to my computer which purported to be an estimate marked 'approved', a document that SEARS now says that I 'signed with the technician' approving the repair.
I never saw this document until after the repair was done and paid for and it does not contain either my signature or my initials.
In trying to get this exorbitant service call charge reduced SEARS has gone back and forth saying that the installation charge for the part is a fixed cost, or that the cost of the visit is a standard charge and is valid, that I authorized the repair, that SEARS was gracious in giving me a discount etc., all standard responses to any customer complaint to their call center.
Even the part that was installed was not an OEM part. The technician had to cut off the wires from the new igniter, cut off the connector from the range wiring harness, and splice the two of them together to make the repair. A questionable practice in itself that compromises the integrity of the original design.
I now do not feel comfortable using the range knowing that the repair that was made wasn't done with a part designed for my range and that the wiring harness connecting the igniter to the safety valve has been compromised.
Since I will have to have the repair redone with the correct parts and in the correct manner restoring the range wiring harness to a safe condition, I would ask that SEARS refund the $268.00 charged for the improper conduct of their technician and the falsification of the documents authorizing the repairs and I would encourage other consumers to seek out repair services that do not use these deceptive practices
SEARS billing dispute #6155346

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You should contact your Consumer Affairs Bureau or your State Attorney General immediately. What this company has done is predatory and should not be tolerated.

Check the name of the company on your paperwork - it may be a subcontractor and not really Sears.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I arranged to have my Kitchenaid gas range serviced by SEARS Appliance Service, there was to be a $99.00 diagnosis visit charge for the visit with any parts needed supplied at an extra charge. The technician diagnosed the problem as a defective hot surface igniter and quoted me a repair cost of $331.00, (I see my cardiologist for less money) while I was out of the room discussing the cost of the repair with my wife the technician proceeded to perform the repair. When I returned to the room the repair was in progress to the point that it had to be completed to make the range operable. I commented on the technician's hasty actions in starting the repair he then said that he thought that I had agreed to the $331.00 estimate, he then offered to give me 20% off of the cost of the repair. Even with the discount the repair cost $268.00 with the new igniter being $60.00 of that cost.
When the repair was completed and I had paid the $268.00, and I said that I had not agreed to the repair estimate, he referred me to a document that he had sent to my computer which purported to be an estimate marked 'approved', a document that SEARS now says that I 'signed with the technician' approving the repair.
I never saw this document until after the repair was done and paid for and it does not contain either my signature or my initials.
In trying to get this exorbitant service call charge reduced SEARS has gone back and forth saying that the installation charge for the part is a fixed cost, or that the cost of the visit is a standard charge and is valid, that I authorized the repair, that SEARS was gracious in giving me a discount etc., all standard responses to any customer complaint to their call center.
Even the part that was installed was not an OEM part. The technician had to cut off the wires from the new igniter, cut off the connector from the range wiring harness, and splice the two of them together to make the repair. A questionable practice in itself that compromises the integrity of the original design.
I now do not feel comfortable using the range knowing that the repair that was made wasn't done with a part designed for my range and that the wiring harness connecting the igniter to the safety valve has been compromised.
Since I will have to have the repair redone with the correct parts and in the correct manner restoring the range wiring harness to a safe condition, I would ask that SEARS refund the $268.00 charged for the improper conduct of their technician and the falsification of the documents authorizing the repairs and I would encourage other consumers to seek out repair services that do not use these deceptive practices
SEARS billing dispute #6155346
Yuo will need to work VERY quickly. Sears may be liquidated this month. They are bankrupt and closing stores, laying off staff, and not honoring service contacts.