Scenic Cruise Line 11/21/2018 departure

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 15, 2018
My husband and booked a 15 day Christmas Market's cruise with Pre and Post hotel stays..We are scheduled to leave 11/19/2018 from Miami International airport. We received an email at 1:00pm Tuesday 11/13 regarding changes in the itinerary due to low river levels. Initial booking costs were $11,590 plus $1,200 in port costs. My husband upgraded to the Royal Balcony Suite for an additional $10,390 for a total of $23,180. We booked and paid for this trip prior to October 31,2017. This trip is for our 30th wedding anniversary on November 25. In addition, we paid $4,290 for business class airfares and and $400 for Pre/Post hotel stays. I also paid $1,600 for travel insurance that does not want to be involved in this situation.

We have been offered 2 choices..take modified cruise with minimum of 4 nights hotel and bus to Vienna with possible similar situation at end of cruise or transfer cruise portion to future year. Obviously our 30th anniversary happens only one. I have already looked and there are no comparable cabin for the 2019 Christmas Market cruise. We were told that we could be on wait list..

If we take the modified cruise is offering $300/per person for the first 4 days..that would be $2,400. Syying in hotels and buses would not come close to the amenities promised by Scenic.

Have suggested that our first day should start in the hotel being used by Scenic for our first hotel stay. We feel that the Scenic Cruise Line has not been honest and should compensate per our level of cabin..

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If this is your first river cruise, you might not be aware of the huge problems that river levels an wreak on vacation and can’t be predicted even a week before you are to leave. And the terms and conditions also state that they can change the itinerary due to levels.

Scenic is one of the Best river cruise lines out there and if they are telling you in advance about the adjustments, you are lucky. Other lines may not warn you. They are being honest with you.

Since many of these cruises are already sold out for 2019, I would urge you to go. If there is rain and they can cruise all the way through they will.

I would suggest you try to negotiate more off due to the class of cabin you booked vs. a hotel room. It doesn’t hurt to ask. Are you working with a travel agent? If so, they can go through their Sales Manager to try to negotiate for more. They often have more pull in circumstances like this than if you booked direct.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
My husband and booked a 15 day Christmas Market's cruise with Pre and Post hotel stays..We are scheduled to leave 11/19/2018 from Miami International airport. We received an email at 1:00pm Tuesday 11/13 regarding changes in the itinerary due to low river levels. Initial booking costs were $11,590 plus $1,200 in port costs. My husband upgraded to the Royal Balcony Suite for an additional $10,390 for a total of $23,180. We booked and paid for this trip prior to October 31,2017. This trip is for our 30th wedding anniversary on November 25. In addition, we paid $4,290 for business class airfares and and $400 for Pre/Post hotel stays. I also paid $1,600 for travel insurance that does not want to be involved in this situation.

We have been offered 2 choices..take modified cruise with minimum of 4 nights hotel and bus to Vienna with possible similar situation at end of cruise or transfer cruise portion to future year. Obviously our 30th anniversary happens only one. I have already looked and there are no comparable cabin for the 2019 Christmas Market cruise. We were told that we could be on wait list..

If we take the modified cruise is offering $300/per person for the first 4 days..that would be $2,400. Syying in hotels and buses would not come close to the amenities promised by Scenic.

Have suggested that our first day should start in the hotel being used by Scenic for our first hotel stay. We feel that the Scenic Cruise Line has not been honest and should compensate per our level of cabin..
The European rivers have been experiencing record low water levels due to extended drought. This is not within the capacity of the cruise line to fix. All of the cruise lines are affected, some more than others depending on the draft of the ships they use. This has been ongoing throughout the summer and fall. Insurance will not cover low water levels.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/04/world/europe/rhine-drought-water-level.html
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/11/09/business/09reuters-asia-gasoil-europe.html

As you can see from the articles, there have been major disruptions to all river shipping in Europe, esp on the Rhine and Danube Rivers.

That being said you should work on getting a better modification of your fare based on the upgrade cabin premium paid.

Nov 15, 2018
The European rivers have been experiencing record low water levels due to extended drought. This is not within the capacity of the cruise line to fix. All of the cruise lines are affected, some more than others depending on the draft of the ships they use. This has been ongoing throughout the summer and fall. Insurance will not cover low water levels.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/04/world/europe/rhine-drought-water-level.html
https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2018/11/09/business/09reuters-asia-gasoil-europe.html

As you can see from the articles, there have been major disruptions to all river shipping in Europe, esp on the Rhine and Danube Rivers.

That being said you should work on getting a better modification of your fare based on the upgrade cabin premium paid.
Thank you, we have been monitoring the water levels..Scenic isn't budging from the $300 per person for each day not on the water..

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Thank you, we have been monitoring the water levels..Scenic isn't budging from the $300 per person for each day not on the water..
We cruised the Danube, Budapest to Prague, Oct 6-13 on a new (2016) shallower draft ship. We were fortunate that we made every city stop on the schedule on time. We were aware of other cruise lines with deeper draft ships during our time on the river that had to bus people past the shallow spots.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I feel badly for you, such a big anniversary, huge amount of cash and dashed dreams. I wish you had used an experienced travel agent, who could probably have negotiated more positively for you. You are indeed caught between a rock and a hard place.

A river cruise is magical, and much of that magic happens with the ship itself sailing down the rivers and the fabulous crew. I would figure out how to augment your days with the extra money Scenic is offering so the trip becomes super-special and a wonderful anniversary celebration. You can bet that Scenie will pull out all the stops with tours, meals and extra goodies for their disappointed passengers. The ports themselves are fascinating and you will certainly enjoy them fully. The idea of ground transport and hotels is not wonderful, but I would go forward with this trip, determined to enjoy every minute, no matter what life throws your way. It doesn't take a great deal of rain to raise the river levels enough to cruise, so you may get lucky. And as Neil said, Scenic stepped up here before you boarded. Many cruise lines don't inform you of these things until five minutes before you're supposed to sail to the next port. Please let us know what happens ... we're hoping you have a great anniversary no matter what your activities are.