Scam Customers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 9, 2019
I'm contacting you in regard to a pair of transition glasses I bought at this store. GVS Vision. I am on disability and have Medicaid and Medicare. I explained that my eyes are super sensitive to sunlight. Should I but a pair of prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses. She the worker said they have Transition lenses, that work good in the sun and I was charged an extra $100.00 for the lenses. I when back to see if they could fix them because they barely turned gray in the sun I was told no. I asked for my money back and was told no refund, just store credit. That stamp was not put on until after I signed the form. I went there with a family member and watched them stamp the form no refund after it was signed. While I was in the store this time your manager Angela overheard my story and asked to see the glasses and took them to the back. She darkened them a little more, but when I'm in the sun with these glasses, my eye's water so bad and now my eyes are hurting. I'm nervous to return to the store. I can't afford contacts, I'm trying to get vision insurance, but until then, going out in the sun is painful. I have contacted Tony Rosario VP who in turn sent a phone number to speak to headquarters (Teresa). Also, I noticed after I signed the contract they stamped NO REFUND/ STORE CREDIT and didn't say a word.
I just want transition glasses that work. These just turn gray, like tinted glasses. Transition glasses go from clear to gray to dark. Head Quarters said let us see if they change the lens and you get the store credit. She said she would talk to the manager of the store. She called back and said, you call them and see what they can do. They want to charge me to pay another $100.00 to darken them again. I don't trust them now. I suggested, change the lens to a regular lens and let me use the store credit for Prescription Sunglasses. The manager Berniece said they would lose money, but it's ok I lose money. I had to borrow in it the first place. Also they never adjusted the glasses to fit me either. Is it fraudulent to stamp a contract after the customer has signed it? Shouldn't that have had the stamp on it and they make me aware of it before I sign the contract. Thanks, C

Attachments

Jun 9, 2019
I added the attachment's of me staring into the sun, the other attachment is what real transitions glasses are supposed to do.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I have transition lenses and they should be very dark, not like yours look.

Most glasses have a warranty- this should fall into the warranty and they should be fixing them. Yes it is fraudulent to stamp it after you signed.

Did you pay with a credit card? File a dispute.

Jun 9, 2019
I have transition lenses and they should be very dark, not like yours look.

Most glasses have a warranty- this should fall into the warranty and they should be fixing them. Yes, it is fraudulent to stamp it after you signed.

Did you pay with a credit card? File a dispute.
Thank you for responding, Medicaid paid for exam and glasses, then I had to borrow the money $100 dollars( on credit card )to make the glasses transition. I wrote to the Vice President, who handed it off to Head Quarters, then to the manager of the store, who wants another $100 to re-darken the glasses and no they gave me no warranty. Do I file a dispute with the company or the credit card company? This never happened to me before. Thank You, Carol,

Oct 13, 2015
I'm an optometrist on the west coast so I had to look up GVS Vision and it looks like they're a vision insurance company. Were they the ones who actually sold you the glasses? Or did they help you find a provider who did?

In either case, Transitions lenses should get darker than that in bright sunshine and I've never worked at a place where we charged people to fix something like this. I really hope they do right by you but if they don't, consider taking your complaint to Essilor which manufactures Transitions. Besides disputing the credit charge of course. Sorry you're dealing with this.

Jun 9, 2019
GVS Vision Center sold me the glasses after she to me, translations will alright find. I didn't need to get prescription sunglasses, even after I explained my eyes are light sensitive. I don't think they are trained properly at this store. What surprised me was when I went in to complain that they don't get dark, the glasses were taken into a room in the store and I was told they should be alright. There is no lab there. After I spoke to managers the second time, she said I read your file and its past 30 days, when I went back to complain a week later. Thanks for your help. I sure do appreciate it. I will take my complaint to Essilor. I starting to wonder if they are real transitions at all or just tinted glasses because they want me to pay another $100 to send them to get darkened. Thanks so much, I appreciate your help. Question, would Essilor have a record from the store that they did the transition on the lenses.

Attachments

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This is just awful. First thing to do is purchase a pair of sunglasses that fit over your glasses for use in the sun. You should be able to pick them up at the local drug store.

These people seem to be incompetent as well as having no customer service skills. You said that you saw them stamp your agreement "no refunds", they'll say they stamped it before you signed, a typical "he said, she said" scenario. So I'd let that go. It really doesn't matter if they brought it to your attention or not. Your goal is to get some glasses that will do what you want them to do.

No store wants to issue a full refund, they're out the cost of the glasses and almost all eyeware stores will change/correct your glasses until they're right. They would prefer this to losing the entire sale. Your problem is glasses which aren't what you ordered or paid for. Requesting the proper glasses shouldn't make you nervous. You're the one who paid for them, they're the ones that need to make them work well for you. Normally we'd suggest that you handle this in writing, but you'll need to go back to the store with the glasses, get them done properly and fitted properly. I suggest you take a friend with you for moral support. Call the store, make an appointment with the manager. Tell her/him that the glasses are not working for you and ask them how they plan to fix the problem. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is just awful. First thing to do is purchase a pair of sunglasses that fit over your glasses for use in the sun. You should be able to pick them up at the local drug store.

These people seem to be incompetent as well as having no customer service skills. You said that you saw them stamp your agreement "no refunds", they'll say they stamped it before you signed, a typical "he said, she said" scenario. So I'd let that go. It really doesn't matter if they brought it to your attention or not. Your goal is to get some glasses that will do what you want them to do.

No store wants to issue a full refund, they're out the cost of the glasses and almost all eyeware stores will change/correct your glasses until they're right. They would prefer this to losing the entire sale. Your problem is glasses which aren't what you ordered or paid for. Requesting the proper glasses shouldn't make you nervous. You're the one who paid for them, they're the ones that need to make them work well for you. Normally we'd suggest that you handle this in writing, but you'll need to go back to the store with the glasses, get them done properly and fitted properly. I suggest you take a friend with you for moral support. Call the store, make an appointment with the manager. Tell her/him that the glasses are not working for you and ask them how they plan to fix the problem. Good luck, and please let us know what happens.
She has already been in contact with the store and they want to charge her to re-do the lenses they didn’t do properly in the first place. She shouldn’t have to pay $100 for them to darken the lenses of the store didn’t do them properly in the first place.

This just isn’t acceptable. I don’t think they are real transition lenses- the real ones get very dark in the sunlight. It sounds like they simply tinted the lenses.

Does your receipt actually say transition lenses?

Contact the actual transitions lens company:

https://www.transitions.com/en-us/our-company/contact-us/

I highly suggest contacting your credit card company and dispute the $100 charge- you didn’t get what you paid for.

Let the transitions company know about this- they can verify if you actually got transitions lenses.

I would also contact the Dept. of Consumer Affairs in your city. They have terrible reviews online.

See if our researchers can get the name and email of the CEO of the company:

https://www.elliott.org/research/

Sep 19, 2015
The photos do not look like the gray Transitions to me.

It has been a long time since I got prescription glasses. What I remember is that Transitions is a particular company -- there are competing ones.
Transitions lenses come in different colors -- I definitely got the gray color and they do work well and are similar to the image in the photos. The color in the photo of the OP's glasses is almost purple brown, and if someone ordered the gray lenses they would not look as in the photos.

As Neil asked does the receipt say Transitions? Did they actually write down gray because the color is just off for the normal transitions gray color.

xoqtox1960 do the lenses actually change color at all?

Do you have the original receipt? This does not look like an issue of darker, it looks like the wrong color.

Oct 13, 2015
I starting to wonder if they are real transitions at all or just tinted glasses because they want me to pay another $100 to send them to get darkened. Thanks so much, I appreciate your help. Question, would Essilor have a record from the store that they did the transition on the lenses.
Something's fishy. The photochromic (color changing) layer sits on top of the lens followed by least 2 more layers on top of that. Transitions lenses come from Essilor with all the layers already there. The local lab can't just strip off the layers and start over or make the photochromic layer more effective.

You can register your Transitions lenses with the Certificate of Authenticity. I assume they can track it from there. It's been many years since I've had to deal with the hardware end so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with that.

And it really sucks that the insurance company is also the provider. You have less leverage. I'd go to Essilor. If I were them, I'd sure want to know about something like this.

Jun 9, 2019
OH thank you so much. I've been looking for the CEO. On LinkedIn, I found the Vp Tony Rosario, he just pasted it down to headquarters. No help. Hers a copy but it's hard to read.

Attachments

Oct 13, 2015
So I went to the transitions website and searched the area and did not find the optical shop listed

https://new.transitions.com/en-us/where-to-buy

Before complaining to the company look at the receipt did they claim to be Transitions? Did they give some bad knock off?
I hope I'm wrong but that occurred to me as well. If they're passing off regular tints as Transitions, I'd expect Essilor to shut that down and hopefully give our OP more leverage in dealing with GVS.

Oct 13, 2015
OH thank you so much. I've been looking for the CEO. On LinkedIn, I found the Vp Tony Rosario, he just pasted it down to headquarters. No help. Hers a copy but it's hard to read.
Do you have an itemized receipt for the entire pair of glasses? Did you decide on the Transitions later and they added it on and that's why there's a single charge for it?

Jun 9, 2019
Do you have an itemized receipt for the entire pair of glasses? Did you decide on the Transitions later and they added it on and that's why there's a single charge for it?
No, but funny you say that the manager tried to say I came back days later to have that done. Here's a copy of the receipt with stapled register lifted. They even whited out my first name.
The photos do not look like the gray Transitions to me.

It has been a long time since I got prescription glasses. What I remember is that Transitions is a particular company -- there are competing ones.
Transitions lenses come in different colors -- I definitely got the gray color and they do work well and are similar to the image in the photos. The color in the photo of the OP's glasses is almost purple brown, and if someone ordered the gray lenses they would not look as in the photos.

As Neil asked does the receipt say Transitions? Did they actually write down gray because the color is just off for the normal transitions gray color.

xoqtox1960 do the lenses actually change color at all?

Do you have the original receipt? This does not look like an issue of darker, it looks like the wrong color.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I can’t see the receipt- does it have a check mark that specifically says transitions with the transitions trademark?

You might have a case of fraud here if they says they were giving you transitions and did not.

I would go down to the store and have this discussion with them.

Jan 30, 2018
I wonder if the shop uses the term "transitions" generically - sort of like we might say kleenex when we are referring to tissues. Sure does not sound like the real Transitions. My recent pair of glasses has the type of Transitions that will actually darken in the car, which the earlier type did not. Cost a bunch more than $100, too. They are wonderful; no more clip-on lenses to get true darkening.

Feb 3, 2017
Something's fishy. The photochromic (color changing) layer sits on top of the lens followed by least 2 more layers on top of that. Transitions lenses come from Essilor with all the layers already there. The local lab can't just strip off the layers and start over or make the photochromic layer more effective.

You can register your Transitions lenses with the Certificate of Authenticity. I assume they can track it from there. It's been many years since I've had to deal with the hardware end so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful with that.

And it really sucks that the insurance company is also the provider. You have less leverage. I'd go to Essilor. If I were them, I'd sure want to know about something like this.
I'm curious - what does this mean: "You can register your Transitions lenses with the Certificate of Authenticity" - register with who? Thanks.