SAS luggage charge

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 20, 2018
Prior to booking my ticket for SAS Go Light ticket (no free checked bag or seat assignment) I called the SAS 800 number to ask if I, as a Star Alliance Gold member, am entitled to one free checked bag as noted on their website. The agent confirmed that I am entitled to one free checked bag. I then booked the ticket for Copenhagen to Hamburg one way for $64.10 and for my friend (who is not a Star Alliance Gold member) a ticket with one checked bag for $64.10 + $18.89 = $82.99. At the Copenhagen airport on 9/14/2018 I was not allowed to have a free checked bag and had to pay 530 DKK = US$ 83.27 to check my bag as it was 12 Kg and SAS's limit for carry-on was 8Kg. This is more than the plane ticket's cost! I would have gladly paid $18.89 for a prepaid checked bag just like my friend when I bought the ticket but based on the false info I got the SAS phone agent I now am out of $83.27. Any suggestions?

Sep 20, 2018
I am a star alliance gold member ( UA million mile flyer) and the ticket was bought in Jan 2018. Have not called Star Alliance but about to write to the SAS contact person per your website.

Sep 19, 2015
Oh ouch; you bought the ticket under the old rules. Perhaps politely mentioning that will help you when writing to the execs.

The basic economy, lite fares whatever they are called confusing. And FF benefits can and do change. One does have to check the rules and benefits as they change.

Sep 20, 2018
Thanks for your replies. I did write to SAS and noted that the ticket was purchase in Jan 2018 and that I did call SAS prior to purchasing the ticket. I also sent them my ticket and my friend's ticket showing that he paid the baggage fee. I think I did my best before buying the ticket - don't know what else I could have done.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We have company contacts on top of our page. Go to the airlines and get the contacts to SAS. Read the information on our Company Contacts Page about how to escalate to the Executives.

I think they should have sent an email to everyone if the policy changed after you bought the ticket.

If it was in place already when you bought the tickets-then your issue is with the Star Alliance Agent who apparently might not have known the luggage policy changed.

Sep 19, 2015
We have company contacts on top of our page. Go to the airlines and get the contacts to SAS. Read the information on our Company Contacts Page about how to escalate to the Executives.

I think they should have sent an email to everyone if the policy changed after you bought the ticket.

If it was in place already when you bought the tickets-then your issue is with the Star Alliance Agent who apparently might not have known the luggage policy changed.
It seems that the policy changed months after, so for once the agent was not wrong. But it seems that the OP was not grandfathered in with the change, and was taken by surprise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I agree but often when changes like this are made they are announced months in advance. We don’t know when it was announced. So if it the change in policy was announced prior to our writer buying the tickets- the rep. would be responsible.

It’s an unlikely scenario- and you are correct- existing reservations should have either been grandfathered in or an email should have been sent when the policy changed. And that’s on SAS and the approach I recommend the OP take when writing. Explain if they had sent an email you would have pre-paid.

The charge for the carry on bag being overweight- you need to pay that. The weight limit for the carry on wasn’t changed so you do owe that.

Sep 19, 2015
Prior to booking my ticket for SAS Go Light ticket (no free checked bag or seat assignment) I called the SAS 800 number to ask if I, as a Star Alliance Gold member, am entitled to one free checked bag as noted on their website. The agent confirmed that I am entitled to one free checked bag. I then booked the ticket for Copenhagen to Hamburg one way for $64.10 and for my friend (who is not a Star Alliance Gold member) a ticket with one checked bag for $64.10 + $18.89 = $82.99. At the Copenhagen airport on 9/14/2018 I was not allowed to have a free checked bag and had to pay 530 DKK = US$ 83.27 to check my bag as it was 12 Kg and SAS's limit for carry-on was 8Kg. This is more than the plane ticket's cost! I would have gladly paid $18.89 for a prepaid checked bag just like my friend when I bought the ticket but based on the false info I got the SAS phone agent I now am out of $83.27. Any suggestions?
Do not claim it was false information -- it was accurate at the time you got it.

Sep 19, 2015
Well it looks as if there was some grandfathering

https://www.sas.no/eurobonus/offers-and-news/go-light-baggage/

For passengers with Go Light tickets there is a fee for adding a checked-in baggage. The same rule will now also apply for all EuroBonus members, while SAS is removing the baggage benefit for EuroBonus Silver, Gold, Diamond, and Star Alliance Gold members, while traveling in Go Light. The change concerns all Go Light tickets with departures from the 7th of May 2018.

Affected EuroBonus members* who have already booked Go Light tickets before 25th January for departures from the 7th of May, will get the baggage fee waived or refunded**.

*The change in baggage allowance affects EuroBonus Silver, Gold, Diamond, and Star Alliance Gold members, who have earlier had the benefit of 1-2 free checked-in baggage. For SAS Go, Plus & Business these benefits remain.

**In the case the baggage within the benefits will be charged at the airport (valid only if you booked before 25th Jan with departure from 7 May), a refund of the amount can be made through contacting SAS Customer Care at www.sas.se/feedback via the feedback form.

Travelers outside Scandinavia can read further about the EuroBonus benefits here

EuroBonus seemed to get a refund, but uncertain if Star Alliance Gold got the same.

Apparently at check in there is no way to tell when a flight was booked.

Have you tried to ask for a refund via the feedback form?

Sep 20, 2018
I bought the ticket on Jan 15, 2018 and received have not received any email regarding the policy change. I was not even allowed to have a carry-on because SAS limit the weight of carry-on at 8 Kg and my bag was 12 Kg. Thus I had to pay to check my bag in. I wrote to the SAS contact and let's see what they say. Thanks.