SAS Cancellation Request

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 13, 2017
SAS booking confirmation pb.png Call Log SAS March 11 pb.jpg I am hoping someone can help me with a cancellation problem I am having.

On Friday March10, I spoke to a SAS representative about booking a flight to Copenhagen that would enable me to use a United Mileage Plus miles through Star Alliance to upgrade to Business Class. I asked what class of service would allow for an upgrade AND allow me to cancel my flight within 24 hours, if I was unable to get the Star Alliance upgrade. She told me “S Class - SAS Plus” and recommended I book on-line to avoid the additional fee. I did as instructed and booked my flight at 1:14 p.m. on the 10th of March. After booking the ticket, I called SAS again to confirm that there were Business Class seats available on the outbound flight (there were).

When I contacted Star Alliance the next day - March 11, they were unable to give me an upgrade. They informed me that I needed to book “I class” of service and that those seats were not available, despite having been told by SAS to book S Class. At 1:12 p.m., I called SAS (US) to cancel my flight (and rebook with a different class of service) as it was almost 24 hours since the 1:14 p.m. purchase time. When I selected “Customer Service,” I was informed by recorded message that Customer Service was closed. I quickly booted up my computer, opened my email, found my itinerary, clicked on the flySAS.com link, and entered my last name and itinerary confirmation. By the time I completed this it was 1:19 p.m. - past 24 hours since purchase and I was informed cancellation was no longer available.

I would like SAS to cancel my flight and refund the fare as I did endeavor to cancel on time and would have been successful had SAS Customer Service been open on Saturday (I’ve never experienced an airline’s customer service being closed when the airline has flights operating). Had the SAS agent I spoke to on Friday informed me that SAS Customer Service in U.S is closed on Saturday, I would have initiated the cancellation earlier from my computer.

I have screen shots to show what time I purchased my tickets on March 10, what time I initiated the call to Customer Service on March 11 and what time it was when I was informed the cancellation was no longer available.

I am looking for help as soon as possible as I need to re-book and my departure date is less than a month away. I won't be able to re-book until the current reservation is cancelled.

Thank you in advance for your help View attachment 1230 View attachment 1231 View attachment 1232 View attachment 1230 View attachment 1231 View attachment 1232 .

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
I am sorry this happened but I do have some questions. According to SAS the telephone lines are open until 5 pm Eastern time on Saturday. Did you call during those opening times (if you are calling from the West Coast the office should have been open). You say the agent did not inform you but did you ask? Is that not your responsibility?

But the most problematic issue is why you waited literally until the last minutes to do this. You booked the ticket at 1:14 pm had until 1:14 the following day to cancel.

2 minutes before the expiration of the refund time 1:12 pm you call and get a recording that the office is closed. What if the office had been open and the wait time on hold would have been over 2 minutes which is entirely possible on a weekend or any day of the week?

Can you give the airline a credible reason why you waited until the last 120 seconds to try and cancel? You are asking for an exception.

Lastly S fare is a fare eligible for an upgrade according to united. That does not mean it is available as there are capacity controls.

Attachments

Mar 13, 2017
I am sorry this happened but I do have some questions. According to SAS the telephone lines are open until 5 pm Eastern time on Saturday. Did you call during those opening times (if you are calling from the West Coast the office should have been open). You say the agent did not inform you but did you ask? Is that not your responsibility?

But the most problematic issue is why you waited literally until the last minutes to do this. You booked the ticket at 1:14 pm had until 1:14 the following day to cancel.

2 minutes before the expiration of the refund time 1:12 pm you call and get a recording that the office is closed. What if the office had been open and the wait time on hold would have been over 2 minutes which is entirely possible on a weekend or any day of the week?

Can you give the airline a credible reason why you waited until the last 120 seconds to try and cancel? You are asking for an exception.

Lastly S fare is a fare eligible for an upgrade according to united. That does not mean it is available as there are capacity controls.

I did not ask if the Customer Service office was open on Saturday - I assumed they were since SAS flies on Saturday.

I got a record message that they were closed, despite the posted hours.

I was not able to cancel the flight immediately because I had to confer with my travelling companion who literally returned from another trip right before I called them. I take your point about when I called in and hold times. But what if I had called in 15 minutes before and was on hold for 15 minutes - which has happened with other airline - would that have been asking for an exception?

Regardless, I reached out to SAS directly and they are refunding my ticket. Thank you for your help.

Sep 19, 2015
Very glad you reached some one that was reasonable which means they likely knew about their reservation office being closed during their posted hours.

Many of the airlines customer service repsare unyielding in their approach as they have to stay on script

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I did not ask if the Customer Service office was open on Saturday - I assumed they were since SAS flies on Saturday.

I got a record message that they were closed, despite the posted hours.

I was not able to cancel the flight immediately because I had to confer with my travelling companion who literally returned from another trip right before I called them. I take your point about when I called in and hold times. But what if I had called in 15 minutes before and was on hold for 15 minutes - which has happened with other airline - would that have been asking for an exception?

Regardless, I reached out to SAS directly and they are refunding my ticket. Thank you for your help.
It is so refreshing to hear about an airline that does the right thing, Shari ... it doesn't happen all that often! Good job handling this one. And next time, start the process four hours ahead of time.