Samsung representative created my computer problems

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 8, 2017
Richardson, Texas
A Samsung customer service representative created problems with my computer, and Samsung has ignored my letters requesting Samsung to fix the problems.

On September 29, 2016, I called Samsung's customer service phone number, 800 726 7864, to talk with someone concerning a problem with my Samsung printer. JeanC answered the call. I told her what the problem was and she asked for my permission to control my computer remotely. I agreed. She looked at my Samsung printer settings, then looked at my Microsoft Word settings. She altered some Word settings and printed a page to test the changes; the changes did not solve the problem. She did this several times. When I said that her changes had created new problems, she hung up on me. She made multiple changes and she made them so quickly that I was unable to keep track of what she did.

I called the Samsung customer service phone number right away and asked to speak with a supervisor, and was connected with Omar. I explained what JeanC had done. Omar said that JeanC should not have made any changes to my computer's Microsoft Word software, and that what she did was against Samsung's policies. He said for me to have Microsoft fix the problems that JeanC created. I told Omar that Microsoft would not fix the problems for free, and asked for Samsung to fix the problems or to pay to have Microsoft fix the problems. Omar admitted that a Samsung employee (JeanC) had caused the problems, but he refused to have Samsung fix the problems.

I sent a brief, polite letter to Mr. Michael Lawder, Senior V.P. of Customer Care and did not receive a response. Then I sent the same letter to Mr. Gregory Lee, President and CEO; again, no response.

How do I get Samsung to respond? Additional details regarding the problem appear below.

I have a Samsung ML-2955DW laser printer that I bought December 12, 2012. It is not under warranty.

The original problem that I called Samsung about is that box icons displayed in a document do not print on the printer; this problem was not fixed. While trying to fix this problem, the Samsung representative created new problems. Current problems with Microsoft Word software on my computer:
- A summary page of information is printed after printing every document.
- When I copy text from one Word document to another, the text is inserted using different formatting parameters.
- When I delete an individual word in a document, the space adjacent to the word is not removed.
- When I open a Word document, sometimes the document is opened but is not displayed.
- When I open a Word document, sometimes a "welcome back" icon is displayed and prevents me from using the document for several seconds.

I have a screen shot that shows the date and time that JeanC accessed my computer remotely. The screen shot is a display of my computer screen at 9:46 p.m., September 29, 2016, and it and shows the following text:
Samsung (using Samsung's special lettering)
Thank you for using Remote support service.
Support start time: 09/29/2016 22:21:53
Support end time: 09/29/2016 22:42:00
Representative: JeanC
Powered by RSUPPORT

Feb 8, 2017
Richardson, Texas
What dates did you write?

These are the contacts he have for Samsung - have you written to all of them? Do you have copies of all emails that you sent with dates?

http://elliott.org/company-contacts/samsung/
I sent letters via USPS to 2 of the 4 executive contacts listed for Samsung; I did not send e-mails. I sent a letter to Mr. Michael Lawder, Senior V.P. of Customer Care, on October 9, 2016; no reply. I sent a letter to Mr. Gregory Lee, President and CEO on November 21, 2016; no reply. Yes, I have copies of my letters.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Use "Restore computer to an earlier time" in System & Security/Backup/Restore. You should be able to restore your computer back before the incompetent bungler got a hold of it.

Feb 8, 2017
Richardson, Texas
Yes, that should restore Word to how it was before the changes, but it also would wipe out all changes that I have made in the intervening 4+ months -- changes to Word and to other software. If that were just a few modifications, I would do it. But there are far too many changes. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you did not email I still suggest you use our contacts and email. Start at Customer Service and give them a week to reply. If no answer, email the first executive, give him a week to reply. If you hear nothing, repeat weekly until you have gone all
the way up the chain.

Our writers can't help you without having a paper trail.

Feb 8, 2017
Richardson, Texas
Use "Restore computer to an earlier time" in System & Security/Backup/Restore. You should be able to restore your computer back before the incompetent bungler got a hold of it.
AMA:

As you suggested, I looked into doing a system restore. Unfortunately, my Windows 7 computer doesn't have a restore point prior to when the Samsung representative messed up my computer. - mkm

Feb 8, 2017
Richardson, Texas
jsn55: The problem is not with the printer. The problem is that my Microsoft Word software does not function properly because of changes that the Samsung representative made to the Word software, regardless of which printer I use. I have used three other printers (Epson, Canon, HP), and it didn't make any difference. The changes that the Samsung representative made to my Word software cause problems with a variety of things that I do in Word -- modify documents, copy text, etc. -- as I stated in my original post. Instead of making snarky comments, it might be better to re-read my original post in order to understand the problem.

Sep 19, 2015
Oh my. The representative made a mess of your word. For the printing of the summary page -- have you checked if they changed the "Word preferences"? Under print check and see if you can unclick document properties?
That is what the summary is.

Feb 9, 2015
While this does not solve your issues with Samsung - I think you can solve many of your issues with some simple Google Searches. For example - to stop the summary document from printing:

Click the Office button and then click Word Options. In the Display category, make sure that "Print document properties" is cleared. Click OK.​

For your cutting and pasting issues, take a look at the Advanced Word Options - there is a whole section about how to handle formatting when cutting/pasting between documents, etc.

Since you have so heavily customized Word, some basic changes may impact other items you have customized. I assume that since you have enough knowledge to do all of these customizations, you have enough to troubleshoot these issues.

Does it stink what that Samsung person did - yep. But what is more important - getting them to own up to it or working to get your issues resolved. At this point, the issues could have been resolved much more quickly than fighting to get their acknowledgement for 4 months. Hindsight here is never let anyone take control of your computer!

On another note....your print issue may be due to the age of your printer and possibly that it could not handle some characters int he character set. Often a firmware update will solve that issue.

Feb 8, 2017
Richardson, Texas
LynnJ,

Thank you for your thoughtful response; much appreciated. I agree that letting someone take control of my computer is risky. I acceded to the Samsung representative's request because she sounded like she knew exactly what to do, and that it would be a simple change to a setting.

Contacting Samsung executives was my last resort. As soon as the incident occurred, I tried to fix things by un-doing the changes myself. I didn't contact Samsung executives until two weeks later, after failing to correct things on my own.

The Samsung representative made so many changes and made them so quickly that I was unable to keep track of them. Most of the changes that she made were in the Advanced section of Word Options, so that is where I focused my efforts on correcting things. I would change one or two settings, test the changes, and then revert to the prior settings when the changes didn't fix things. I did this repeatedly to myriad settings for a couple of weeks and finally gave up. It is frustrating to know that a few clicks in the settings could fix things; navigating through the labyrinth of settings is a daunting task.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
While this does not solve your issues with Samsung - I think you can solve many of your issues with some simple Google Searches. For example - to stop the summary document from printing:

Click the Office button and then click Word Options. In the Display category, make sure that "Print document properties" is cleared. Click OK.​

For your cutting and pasting issues, take a look at the Advanced Word Options - there is a whole section about how to handle formatting when cutting/pasting between documents, etc.

Since you have so heavily customized Word, some basic changes may impact other items you have customized. I assume that since you have enough knowledge to do all of these customizations, you have enough to troubleshoot these issues.

Does it stink what that Samsung person did - yep. But what is more important - getting them to own up to it or working to get your issues resolved. At this point, the issues could have been resolved much more quickly than fighting to get their acknowledgement for 4 months. Hindsight here is never let anyone take control of your computer!

On another note....your print issue may be due to the age of your printer and possibly that it could not handle some characters int he character set. Often a firmware update will solve that issue.
Excellent advice to Google and look for fixes since Samsung doesn't seem to exactly be rushing to help. I know I have fixed things I messed up googling fixes - it might help you.

I don't think anyone blames you for allowing the rep. to take over - I am sure most of us have called for a problem at one time or another and the rep.s have taken over our computers to fix things. And i would have assumed the rep. would have known what they were doing too. You would think Samsung would want to know who this rep. is before she screws up anyone elses computer.

Feb 9, 2016
Mkm, please understand we are a diverse group of people with a WIDE variety of professions, experiences and backgrounds. Please be understanding of that and kind when you reply.
This board is not your typical internet forum, we are really only trying to be helpful with our suggestions, as off base as they may hit you.

From what I understand the manufacturer and the cs agent group are currently battling over who is responsible fur things like this.

Ask Omar for the record of the call. Be super nice. Tell him you want to listen to it so you can try to un do what the CS agent did. They will record voice definitely and sometimes they record the screen. That is your proof. If they are screen recording their calls, you can undo the changes using this.
If Omar isn't being helpful, as for the manager and then the site director. Then you can ask which company is running the call center (Samsung is paying another company to host their agent based services like this) then contact that companies customer service.

Reply here with that companies name and we can look for executives emails

Last edited:

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Mkm, you are using a 2009 computer - sometimes new updates just don't work with older programs. If it were me and you need this, I would take this to a computer person and pay them to fix it and then submit the bill to Samsung to see if they will pay it.

We update our computers every 4 or 5 years because they just don't function well after that length of time.

John Galbraith

Staff Member
Advocate
Director
Jan 22, 2017
Poole
Hi MKM - I know you really don't want to but is it perhaps time to reset/reload word? I know you said you have a lot of personalisation so that is not a choice but if you can not get it work how you want is it quicker (in the long run) to start from the beginning that keep trying to fix it.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
jsn55: The problem is not with the printer. The problem is that my Microsoft Word software does not function properly because of changes that the Samsung representative made to the Word software, regardless of which printer I use. I have used three other printers (Epson, Canon, HP), and it didn't make any difference. The changes that the Samsung representative made to my Word software cause problems with a variety of things that I do in Word -- modify documents, copy text, etc. -- as I stated in my original post. Instead of making snarky comments, it might be better to re-read my original post in order to understand the problem.
Here's what you posted: "On September 29, 2016, I called Samsung's customer service phone number, 800 726 7864, to talk with someone concerning a problem with my Samsung printer." Not sure why you think my suggestion of a new printer is snarky. You had a problem with a Samsung printer.