Ryanair

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 17, 2018
In August I traveled with my girls from the states to Germany to visit my older daughter who is in the service . She planned a number of side trips for us for when we were there. One of those was to Zadar, Croatia. She booked the flights via Ryanair out of Frankfort airport. On the day before the flight she tried repeatedly to check us in online, but their website was down. She tried again the morning of our flight, but it was still down. We arrived at the airport and were in line at their desk at 11:45 am. 2 hours and 40 minutes prior to the flight. We waiting for some time and when it was our turn we were sent to a different line where we again waited and finally got our boarding passes, but were sent to wait again in the original line to get checked in. We then immediately proceeded to border check which was backed up to the rear of the airport. When we got in line I checked the time and it was 1 pm. We had 55 minutes to make our gate. We asked an airport employee for help and they said “Sorry!”, but then we watched as that person took two entire families from behind us in line and put them at the front of the cue. Got through there and the gate was still showing it was open, got through security, still open, arrived at the gate at 2:05 pm and the gate attendant would not allow us to board because we weren’t there at 1:55 pm per their rules. We explained the situation to her and asked for help or to call someone to help us and she said “No!” And walked away. Another man who was supposed to be on the flight showed up shortly thereafter, but at that point she was gone. We tried to reach Ryanair, but they never responded until after the flight departed. That plane sat on the tarmac for an additional 20 minutes after we got there. We ended up walking all the way back to the ticket counter and they told us that the only thing we could do would be to purchase new tickets on another flight there. We opted not to do this. Good thing- found out after the fact that had we paid for additional transport there- we would not have been able to use the original return flights back- per Ryanair’s rules and would have had to purchase additional tickets to get back. I have tried repeatedly to reach Ryanair without success. They just refuse to respond to me. I have sent emails, letters to their corporate office, I’ve tried to do the online chat option only to sit for over 40 minutes with no response or get a message they aren’t available. I finally called a travel agent here in the US who told me to request a stop payment on the funds through my credit card which I did. Of course, Ryanair responded to them and stated that we were no shows for the flight, but also in the paperwork shows they checked us in at approx 12:15 pm - which is impossible as border patrol is literally a 5 minute walk from the counter and we went directly there after being checked in. I have filed complaints with the Attorney Generals’ office and with the FAA. The AG sent the complaint to them, but I do not believe they have heard back- the FAA told me I have to continue to try and work with the airline. I have tried to reach them via Facebook and Instagram. I can’t afford to call an international line repeatedly.
I was finally able to get a response on FB messenger and was told my case had been closed.
I am so frustrated. I just want a refund. If this had in anyway been our fault- I wouldn’t be pursuing a refund, I would have just eaten the cost, but it isn’t our fault and there was plenty of time that they could have let us board.
Not only did I get screwed out of my flight, and now a refund, but we also lost out on fee from the Airbnb we had booked in Zadar.
Please help me.

Sep 19, 2015
Why did you complain to the FAA? Ryanair does not fly to the US. No US agency has jurisdiction with Ryanair. Same with the Attorney General.

Croatia is not part of Schengen so that means border check.

Ryanair has had reported website issues over the past few months.

But once it was noted that there were problems you should have gotten to the airport at least 3.5 hours early especially in August when it is peak travel time. And because it was Ryanair which has minimal staff at the airport to keep those costs down.

Did you ask any passengers to go ahead at the border control? I have let people pass.

You were counted as no shows as you did not get to the gate when boarding ended. It does not matter that the flight was delayed 20 minutes, the flight manifest has closed and the passenger list completed. The check is time of 12:15 is likely when you got your boarding pass and then had to go to the other line.

As you have already done a credit card dispute and lost there is little recourse.

Once there was a problem with checking in you should have gone earlier to the airport. Ryanair is low cost for a reason meaning long lines and such. FRA is a very busy and crowded airport especially in summer.

I flew Ryanair once and never again.

I do not think you have any recourse especially after losing the dispute and filing all the inappropriate complaints.

I think you just need to move on.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
You can only appeal to RyanAir. They are going to tell you that you should have arrived earlier at the airport.

As Christina said-letters to US entities wont help- they have no jurisdiction over flights in Europe and you don’t qualify for EU261 either.

We have company contacts for on top of our pages for airlines. You can use the contacts for RyanAir and maybe you will be lucky to reach a sympathetic executive.

Read the bottom of the company contacts page carefully so you follow our suggestions on how to write.

Nov 17, 2018
I appreciate your opinions, but no I am not letting it go and will follow your suggestions in terms of writing to the corporate heads listed. Yes, we did ask if we could move ahead in line and were told no. Reason for writing American entities was because I wasn’t getting any where with anyone else. And the attorney general has reached out on my behalf to Ryanair. At least someone would. You would have done the same if you were in my shoes. My daughter has flown all over using Ryan air and has never arrived more than 2 hours earlier than her flight and has never had an issue until then. We were there 2h and 40 minutes before. When it boils down to it- waiting in line at their ticket counter for 1 hour and 15 minutes was the issue and no one being of assistance at the gate was an issue. At least 5 people missed that one flight- seems like a huge issue to me. So I will continue my battle!

Nov 17, 2018
I am curious though- how is filing with the FAA and the Attorney General “inappropriate”? I may have filed with someone who maybe won’t help me- but I don’t see how that is defined as inappropriate.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I am curious though- how is filing with the FAA and the Attorney General “inappropriate”? I may have filed with someone who maybe won’t help me- but I don’t see how that is defined as inappropriate.
They have no jurisdiction over European flights. They can’t do anything about how you were treated there. Let us know what the AG ends up saying.

I urge you to use our contacts. We have seen countless occasions where a well written letter hitting the desk of the right executive and a no being turned into a yes.

Condense the letter and use bullet points and state the facts only when you write. The more timing you can give the better.

Sep 19, 2015
Would an Irish Tourist make a complaint to The Commission for Aviation Regulation of Ireland about a flight on JetBlue or Southwest?

The FAA has no power over Ryanair, and neither does any AG in the US. Ryanair does not fly to the US, does not do business in the US, it is just an inappropriate place to complain. They could not help you even if they wanted to, and Ryanair would not care.

At this point you can try to write to Ryanair, but Ryanair is not known for being generous or even considerate. And now that they have won the credit card dispute there is little incentive to do something positive.

Sep 19, 2015
I appreciate your opinions, but no I am not letting it go and will follow your suggestions in terms of writing to the corporate heads listed. Yes, we did ask if we could move ahead in line and were told no. Reason for writing American entities was because I wasn’t getting any where with anyone else. And the attorney general has reached out on my behalf to Ryanair. At least someone would. You would have done the same if you were in my shoes. My daughter has flown all over using Ryan air and has never arrived more than 2 hours earlier than her flight and has never had an issue until then. We were there 2h and 40 minutes before. When it boils down to it- waiting in line at their ticket counter for 1 hour and 15 minutes was the issue and no one being of assistance at the gate was an issue. At least 5 people missed that one flight- seems like a huge issue to me. So I will continue my battle!
But this is what Ryanair does -- minimal staffing. As I said I took them once. At the boarding gate and no plane, someone says plane delayed and wanders off, not to be seen for hours. This was before the EU 261 regulations. This was at Prestwick (Glasgow) airport.

One way to keep costs low is not hire people to help customers. Ryanair has had several pilot strikes and other labor issues this summer.

For summer travel -- The fact is that I arrive 2 hours before departure in Europe only when I have priority check in and no border control. Otherwise I go earlier..

FRA can have very long lines -- as can MUC --

But once one realizes that there is a check in problem, and it is August, time to go very early, I do not travel in August because of the lines.
The fact that your daughter has not had a problem is not indicative of anything.

FRA border/security can be slow, especially holiday periods --

But Ryanair will likely say they have no control over the slow security/border control at the airport and that it is not their fault that you could not check in online.

I am just a realist and do not have a great opinion of Ryanair.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't think my colleagues mean that YOUR actions were inappropriate, but that the US-based authorities are an inappropriate source of help.

I agree with you totally, go after them, be polite, patient and persistent. This awful airline flies thousands of people thousands of places without issues. But when a problem arises, they have nobody to help you. It's not right. Go after them every week as long as you can stand it. Eventually, someone at Ryan may do the right thing. Good luck, and please let us know what transpires.

Feb 17, 2018
There were a few times that the Ryan Air website was down for maintenance in August, but they were announced and only for a few hours. There were some outages reported in September and October, but again they were only out for a few hours each time. Check in can be accomplished and boarding passes printed up to 60 days prior through until 2 hours prior. Unless the tickets were purchased just prior to the flight, there should have been adequate time to check in and print out the boarding passes. Not a good idea to wait until just before the flight to accomplish this, especially as the airline will make you pay to do so at the airport. Frankfurt Hahn does a brisk business with all the low cost carriers, so it is usually a very busy airport to navigate, so you need adequate time check in bags, get through security and border control.

Ryan Air isn't known to be very receptive to consumer issues, especially if the tickets were purchased far enough out to have adequate time to check in and print out the boarding passes. You can use the contact information this website provides to move your complaint up the ladder, but again, chances are slim you will get the resolution you are looking for from this particular airline.

Sep 19, 2015
There were a few times that the Ryan Air website was down for maintenance in August, but they were announced and only for a few hours. There were some outages reported in September and October, but again they were only out for a few hours each time. Check in can be accomplished and boarding passes printed up to 60 days prior through until 2 hours prior. Unless the tickets were purchased just prior to the flight, there should have been adequate time to check in and print out the boarding passes. Not a good idea to wait until just before the flight to accomplish this, especially as the airline will make you pay to do so at the airport. Frankfurt Hahn does a brisk business with all the low cost carriers, so it is usually a very busy airport to navigate, so you need adequate time check in bags, get through security and border control.

Ryan Air isn't known to be very receptive to consumer issues, especially if the tickets were purchased far enough out to have adequate time to check in and print out the boarding passes. You can use the contact information this website provides to move your complaint up the ladder, but again, chances are slim you will get the resolution you are looking for from this particular airline.
The 60 day check in is only if one prepays to reserve a seat. From the terms and conditions:

Online check-in opens 60 days before each scheduled flight departure time for customers who purchase an allocated seat. Customers can be allocated a seat free of charge if they check-in online between 2 days and 2 hours before each booked flight.

If one does not pay for a reserved seat check in is 48 hours prior.

If the travelers did not have the reserved seats one can not blame them for only trying to check in 48 hours in advance.