Ryanair Denied Boarding EU261 Claim

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 9, 2018
Hello,
I submitted an EU261/2004 claim for compensation for a scheduled flight on November 16, 2018 from Rome to London. I was to go with my younger 14 yr. old sister but we were denied boarding because according to Ryanair staff at the ticket counter, "any Italian minor who travels without one or two parents must receive a special stamped certificate from the local questura (district police) for any travel abroad." Ryanair staff did not permit my younger sister and I to board. After checking with our local police district I was able to confirm that Italian police districts do not issue these certificates for anyone who is older than 13. I then submited an EU261 claim for 500 euros or 250 per person which Ryanair rejected on the basis of our flight being diverted on Nov. 16 for safety reasons and not even adressing the denied boarding aspect. I would welcome any assistance or suggestions. Thank You​

Sep 19, 2015
The UK can refuse admission to any minor with a noncustodial person who does not have a signed document granting permission to take the child to the UK.

Each country has their own requirements.

It is not only the country that you are leaving but also the country you are entering.

I do not think you have much of a chance.!if you had no document that would satisfy the UK. Had you read the rules for the UK you would see the requirmens.

There are a lot of laws now because of child abductions.

Attachments

Jul 2, 2018
The UK can refuse admission to any minor with a noncustodial person who does not have a signed document granting permission to take the child to the UK.

Each country has their own requirements.

It is not only the country that you are leaving but also the country you are entering.

I do not think you have much of a chance.!if you had no document that would satisfy the UK. Had you read the rules for the UK you would see the requirmens.

There are a lot of laws now because of child abductions.
Sorry but the OP wasn't asked for the documentation that you have quoted. The OP was asked for something entirely different that cannot be provided and was denied boarding for not having it.

Deniseber, did you have a letter from your parents saying that she could travel with you?

Sep 19, 2015
The Italian form is for under 14 — I thought the check in clerk was asking for some sort of formal permission for the UK — and used the example of the only form known as they are Italian.

But without a document that would be acceptable to the UK the issue is moot— and I did not see that the OP had anything for the UK like a notarized permission. The UK is strict with children and non custodial adults.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Hello,​
I submitted an EU261/2004 claim for compensation for a scheduled flight on November 16, 2018 from Rome to London. I was to go with my younger 14 yr. old sister but we were denied boarding because according to Ryanair staff at the ticket counter, "any Italian minor who travels without one or two parents must receive a special stamped certificate from the local questura (district police) for any travel abroad." Ryanair staff did not permit my younger sister and I to board. After checking with our local police district I was able to confirm that Italian police districts do not issue these certificates for anyone who is older than 13. I then submited an EU261 claim for 500 euros or 250 per person which Ryanair rejected on the basis of our flight being diverted on Nov. 16 for safety reasons and not even adressing the denied boarding aspect. I would welcome any assistance or suggestions. Thank You​
I would get proof of the real facts and submit your claim again. If you complied with all the rules and were denied boarding, I think you have a valid claim. Bottom-budget airlines like Ryan will throw up any roadblock they can find to avoid paying claims. You'll need to be patient, persistent and polite. But if you can prove you're right, you should prevail ... it may take a long time and many resubmissions, however.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
These airlines do this all the time- decline an EU261 claim and hope you go away. You can appeal it if you can provide them with written information that the forms they claim you need are actually not required.
However if you don’t have the proper documents to travel, denied boarding on that case is not covered under EU261.

Do you have the proper paperwork to prove you didn’t need any forms or letters to bring your minor sister into England with you? If so, appeal it. If they deny it a second time you can appeal it using this:

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/sites/transport/files/2004_261_national_enforcement_bodies.pdf

Dec 9, 2018
I just want to say sorry for the lapse in posting and thanks to all of you who responded. I reviewed your posts and saw some honest and thoughtful responses. After doing my resesarch and speaking with officials not only at the UK embassy in Rome but also the Italian police and immigration authorities, I can 100% conclude that Ryanair was wrong in denying my party boarding and this comes down to their misinterpretation of the Italian Reg's. I'll break it down two fold first adressing the UK side of the equation and concluding with the Italian laws. To start, the UK itself does not have a law specifically that requires any minor under 18 to carry or possess specific authorization from a parent or legal guardian other than that individual's valid travel document. See https://europa.eu/youreurope/citize...-documents-minors/united-kingdom/index_en.htm, https://conslondra.esteri.it/consol..._i_cittadini/affidamento-di-minori-in-caso-di, https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/travel-assistance/children-travelling-alone, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/children-travelling-to-the-uk, https://www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad This covers all who are transiting the UK and EEA. The only caveat with this are situations where a child is RESIDENT of the UK. In this case permission may have to granted formally. As a general guideline, UK Borderforce agents can ask for a person who is travelling with a minor to establish their relationship to that child but that cannot be the basis of restricting any travelers movements into or out of the UK and EEA. With this, we've eliminated 50% of the stance Ryaniar took. Now lets hop on over to the Italian view of things. As I believe I stated in my initial post, the Italian regulation states and clearly, that it only applies to Italian minors who are under 14 and 13 inclusive. On a side note, on our day of departure, my younger sister was 10 days away from her 15th birthday. Part of the reason for this is that the local questura or any overseas Italian consulate office will only issue these certificates to a minor who is 13 and under in the presence of at least one parent. See https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/travel-documents-minors/italy/index_en.htm. So to any minor who is already aged 14 and over this law would not be applicable. I think at this point this issue is a little bit beyond the scope of the Elliott forums and this advocacy group but thank you for your input. At this point. I believe the best solution would be to escalate this to a claim service or the National enforcement Body in Italia. Thank you all for your insights.

Buon viaggio

Sep 19, 2015
Good luck with Ryanair. They are famous for fighting against any sort of compensation — whether it comes from a passenger or a regulatory body.