Ryanair Airlines - very bad experience

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 4, 2019
My friend and I had just missed our flight with another airline so I immediately bought tickets from my phone for the 2 of us from Ryanair, but by mistake (through auto-correct probably) both tickets had my name on them when I bought them. I tried right away asking the people at the Ryanair ticket counter for help but they said no and made me pay for a whole new 3rd ticket just because of a simple mistake, and I had no choice but to accept in the moment as I didn’t want to miss this flight as well. They didn’t even offer to cancel the extra one so I paid full price for 3 tickets and the thurd was never even used and never needed (!) as we were only 2 people !

They told me it was my fault so they can’t give a refund but while its true that I had made the mistake, it seems very unfair as I was not buying tickets from a big computer at home but rather under a lot of stress from my small phone in the airport,where it’s easy to miss an error from auto-correct, but they couldn’t care less and still made me pay for a whole new ticket (which is especially difficult for me a I am a full time undergraduate student with a very tight budget)

Jan 6, 2015
the United States
You can appeal this in writing to RyanAir. When you do, be very polite, acknowledging your mistake and asking for an exception to their policy. Include your student status and tight budget.

IMPORTANT: when you reach out to the corporate level
Do not use inflammatory language - be polite and professional
Do not attach files - their email system may discard your email before anyone reads it
Do not start with the CEO - begin at the lowest level in the company contacts shown here: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/ryanair/
Present a brief summary (list) and give each contact one (1) week to respond before escalating to the next level

Jul 30, 2018
We always say on this forum that it doesn't hurt to ask, but you should keep your expectations of a complete reimbursement for the third ticket low. Ryanair is an ultra low cost airline and therefore not as generous with goodwill gestures, especially in the event of customer error.

In the future, anytime you purchase airline tickets online, you should make sure the auto-fill feature is turned off. As you have unpleasantly discovered, the only way to correct misspellings is to purchase a new ticket.

May 30, 2019
Unfortunately, this is likely to be a lesson that doesn't provide academic credits. It is not the airline's fault that you missed your original flight; it is not the airline's fault that you used a small phone to purchase a ticket; it is not the airline's fault that you purchased 2 tickets for the same person; it is not the airline's fault that you were under a lot of stress; and it is not the airline's fault that you are a student with a tight budget.

The best you can do is ask for an exception to their policy as described in Post #2. If you believe that you might fly the airline again during your student years but within the next 12 months, consider asking for a credit towards a future ticket vs a straight-out refund. That will incrementally help your chances, but as described in Post #3, don't be optimistic that you will get anything from a no-frills airline.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Jun 24, 2019
While I understand that the tickets are non-refundable, how exactly could RyanAir fulfill their portion of the contract - they can't fly the same person twice on the same flight. I thought there was supposed to be something that prevented two identical tickets for the same flight?
Ryan Air charges an extra fee if you want Ryan Air to check its computers to see if it has issued two tickets to the same person.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
While I understand that the tickets are non-refundable, how exactly could RyanAir fulfill their portion of the contract - they can't fly the same person twice on the same flight. I thought there was supposed to be something that prevented two identical tickets for the same flight?
Nope.
Since you booked it online did you follow up online per theinstructions?

If you think you have made a duplicate booking:
  1. Log into your MyRyanair account or retrieve your booking at My bookings
  2. Check "Upcoming Trips" to see if you have booked a duplicate trip.
  3. If you have made a duplicate booking, click here to chat with an agent online
Please note, no refund is possible on a duplicate reservation after the departure of the booked flights.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I almost posted the same question BUT we recently had a thread talking about purchasing two seats for one passenger for comfort reasons so it is possible to have two seats on the same flight.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry this happened to you ... incredibly frustrating to experience this kind of ... I dunno ... "IT bureaucracy"? If it were a regular airline, you'd no doubt get that 3rd tix refunded eventually. And Ryan might refund ... but it will take a GREAT deal of patience and persistence on your part. Keep it all in writing, take responsibility for your error, and use our Company Contacts. Don't even mention how unfair it is, they don't care. We like to call it artful begging. Their customer service department is probably one part-time person, so don't give up. And try not to EVER do this kind of thing on your phone, it's a recipe for disaster.

Feb 11, 2018
Why didn’t you just buy the tickets at the ticket counter if you were already at the airport? That would have alleviated this- I’m sure you were rushing trying to buy the tickets and didn’t catch the mistake. Unfortunately- RyanAir tickets are nonrefundable but please use our company contacts and see if they will do anything for you- we never say never.

Here is how to write:

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/
Good point! If the tickets had been purchased at the counter, such an error would have been highly unlikely, and any error would have been RyanAir's. (Pardon my incredulity, but are we that enamored of our devices that doing something face-to-face is not an option?)

Dec 4, 2019
Thank you so much everybody ! Almost all the suggestions here have been on point and very helpful. The reason I did not think of going to the ticket counter at the time was because we were in a huge rush as we had just missed our flight and the one that we were trying to purchase was taking off soon from a different terminal, (and because I wasn’t lucky enough to have your advice in the moment). And like I said I actually did go the ticket counter very soon after i had ordered the tickets, but they didn't help at all. So far I did not have any luck with this, but i will keep on trying ( until I just give up i guess ).