Royal Caribbean terrible experience

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2015
To imply that suicide is a joke or that we should make assumptions about others mental state is dangerous. Frankly, I find it somewhat disturbing that anyone would entertain the thought that we shouldn't, as a society, react with extreme precaution. I'm glad to see the majority of posters see it this way.[/QUOTE]

Rebecca I am so sorry to read about your father, that is so tragic and painful, and commend you for bringing it up on this post.

Your. Own. Worst. Enemy.

Simple as that. They've had people kill themselvesand its a pita with lots of paperwork.

My first reaction to your comment was - oh no, a drama queen.

You can see the trouble you got yourself into - and still refuse to accept responsibility.

Next time, get pissed instead of silly and tell them to come fix the damn door - all it was most likely was a dead battery and the over the top drama is what made the person report you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am really impressed with the outpouring of advice from people who have real-life experiences when it comes to mental health. Thank you all for stepping up and getting us all to think about how we do or don't judge people and their behaviour. Nobody could give better examples than you have. Thank you.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Royal Caribbean does not know these people and how they respond to frustration. Someone jumped overboard recently (November 2015) on one of their cruise ships (Oasis of the Seas) and there is likely to be a lawsuit. So I am not sure that the staff were being "morons" as you so put it. RC is now erring on the side of extreme caution.
@Christina H I think the particular staff member who made a fuss over this is a moron. I think someone should assist this consumer and advocate on her behalf.

I don't care if there is a lawsuit about someone else jumping overboard some other time. That is not relevant to this consumer's situation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@Christina H I think the particular staff member who made a fuss over this is a moron. I think someone should assist this consumer and advocate on her behalf.

I don't care if there is a lawsuit about someone else jumping overboard some other time. That is not relevant to this consumer's situation.
It is very relevant to this.

Respectfully, I believe you are taking this too lightly, haven't you read the posts from those who have been affected by mental illness that have said you can never be too safe by reporting someone who may have said something like this? They are trained to react exactly as the RCCL employees did- they don't take it lightly and cannot take a chance.

Lawsuits cost the cruise lines millions of dollars and RCCL has been sued before. They are trained to go to a supervisor if someone threatens suicide. The woman was a drama queen who paid dearly for her words.

Re-read Rebeccas post. It puts things very clearly on why no one should take someone's threat of suicide lightly.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015

I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Someone went over the railing less than three months prior to the OPs cruise and on the same cruise line. I would suspect that since that time the staff have been told to take every threat of self harm seriously. You may not consider the threat of a lawsuit over the other passenger to be irrelevant but it is likely that the lawyers for the cruise ship line have another opinion, and staff err on the side of extreme caution. The cruise staff have no way of knowing the original poster's health, either physical or mental and there is no way for untrained people to assess that visually. Rebecca's post was thoughtful, tragic and absolutely on target to the discussion here.

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
I am going to have to respectfully disagree. Someone went over the railing less than three months prior to the OPs cruise and on the same cruise line. I would suspect that since that time the staff have been told to take every threat of self harm seriously. You may not consider the threat of a lawsuit over the other passenger to be irrelevant but it is likely that the lawyers for the cruise ship line have another opinion, and staff err on the side of extreme caution. The cruise staff have no way of knowing the original poster's health, either physical or mental and there is no way for untrained people to assess that visually. Rebecca's post was thoughtful, tragic and absolutely on target to the discussion here.
@Christina H -- I absolutely agree.
Remember that we have only heard her side of the story which overplays in the beginning, about what a classy lady she is, and then could very well underplay her temperament during the GS interaction, where she admits to saying she could just kill herself over a locked door.
Add to that her claim that it just ruined her whole trip. Really? Who does that? She is an ultra drama queen.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
@Christina H This is a consumer blog and my objective is to help the consumer. Obviously her interests are not aligned with RC's lawyers. That does not mean in this case RC got it right and our consumer does not deserve compensation.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
She remained on the ship for the balance of the cruise, ate the food, enjoyed the entertainment. What compensation do you think she deserves? If she had been put off the ship, she would have been due compensation for the remainder of her cruise except I don't think she would have gotten that due to terms and conditions.

But since she got the cruise she paid for not sure what type of compensation she is due. I think she should be thankful they didn't bill her for all the trouble she caused.

You're the staff member who was the last person to speak to the person who jumped overboard - and you've been interrogated for hours by cruise line security and legal.

two months later someone comes up to you and says: "If I can't get into my room I'll just kill myself."

I'd report it too. . . .

Aug 28, 2015
New York
You're the staff member who was the last person to speak to the person who jumped overboard - and you've been interrogated for hours by cruise line security and legal.

two months later someone comes up to you and says: "If I can't get into my room I'll just kill myself."

I'd report it too. . . .
@Joe Farrell Yes, I agree with you. Human beings often project their own unusual experience onto undeserving strangers. That is exactly what happened in this instance. An RC staff member either projected an unlikely scenario or was retaliating for the LW giving her a hard time.

Mar 17, 2015
I think, unless it is provable that the GS employee did this for retaliatory purposes, that we cannot assume what their mindset was at the time. Maybe this is just what they are trained to do. If I did not know someone and they said to me, "I am so upset, I could just kill myself," I would go tell a supervisor and see what they want to do. Which is probably exactly what happened that led to this situation. I still think it was a bit of an overreaction, but maybe this overreaction saves a life. Maybe there were other behaviors that we were not witness to that also led to the situation. At the end of the day, while we have freedom of speech, we do not have freedom from the consequences of said speech.

Rebecca, thank you for sharing your story. I had a good friend whose Dad committed suicide in college, and having known him, it was very rough her, because there were no warning signs, he had not spoken about it with anyone.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Since our LW has disappeared, there isn't really much sense in continuing the conversation here because everyone is entitled to their own opinion and we just all need to agree to not agree on this one.

We aren't doing anyone any favors by keeping this thread going unless the writer comes back, so what do you say we stop posting?

mmb

Verified Member
Jan 20, 2015
Well, you may have noticed, JR is gone and we are just arguing amongst ourselves. There is obviously a great divide here, with a very uneven large group vs small group.
Looks like time to let this one fade.....no one is going to change anybody's mind....

Aug 28, 2015
New York
Michael Bayley CEO Royal Caribbean

I would like to start off with introducing myself. My name is Joan Olivieri however, I go by the name J.R. I live in Boynton Beach, Florida. I am a 70 year old vibrant, happy and healthy lady. I am a wife, mother and grandmother. I was a professional model, dancer and make-up artist and I am presently working with a billion dollar company called Jeunesse Global. So you see I have led and still do lead a very active life.

On January 16-21st my husband and I cruised on the Independence of the Seas and had a horrific experience which I am about to explain. We arrived on the ship as scheduled and was able to enter our room to place our valuables in the safe and my medications in the medicine chest. We then proceeded to poolside where I danced (which you have on your videos) and waited for our luggage to arrive.

Returning to our room at 2:30 to see if our luggage had arrived, it had and was outside our door. We then tried to unlock our door and both our cards did not work. Our room attendant Jean who was simply lovely and wonderful told us she had also tried to get in to put our luggage away , and as well her card did not work. She had informed us that the lock was broken and she had called for someone to come and repair it almost an hour before we even got there. We waited over 3 hours and still no one came to help us. I was left sitting in a narrow hallway for that period of time and was extremely annoyed, frustrated, hungry and tired. Being so upset I decided personally to go to Guest Services to complain. At the Guest Services desk I spoke with Gemma McKever and I quote " This is totally unacceptable we have been waiting over 3 hours for someone to come and fix our broken lock. I am so upset I could just kill myself"

Upon returning to room after speaking with GS it was now 5:30 and they just arrived to fix the broken lock. We got our luggage into our room by 6pm and decided to go immediately to eat dinner. When we opened our door there were 5 security guards at our door, at which time they told me I was not allowed to leave my room . We were shocked and appalled and had no idea what was happening. A very nice deputy security officer Tej Cheena explained the situation and a very nasty GS supervisor Tyler Parker explained the same situation saying he could put me off the ship. Of course we were still in shock as never thinking this was really happening.

I was ordered to stay in the room till the ships doctor came to speak to me. Dr. Christintain Lintermans arrived a little later and proceeded to ask me many personal and heath questions which I had no problem answering. The doctor told me I must stay in the room till he can contact a physiatrist on shore for me to speak with. My husband who was allowed to leave the room went to GS to talk with a supervisor and again this Tyler Parker told him "I could have your wife put off this ship" At this point there was a female guard at our door keeping it unlocked and opening it every 1/2 hour which was extremely embarrassing for my husband to shower and dress. At 10pm the guard told us to follow her to the ships doctor, when we got there he had Dr. Manuel Melendez from Miami to speak with me. The first thing Dr. Melendez said to me and again I quote "I just received an e-mail saying that you wanted to JUMP OVERBOARD. I was totally shocked beyond belief. How could the only person I spoke with Gemma McKever falsified my original statement that I made? Those words are not even in my vocabulary to say. What I did say was from the frustration they created which was not even near what she stated.

Of course within 2 minutes the two doctors conversed and the both agreed I was fine. Now I ask you could anyone enjoy the rest of their vacation? With all the embarrassment and humiliation that I indued all I expected was an apology, which I never got. Needless to say I will never travel with RC, being in the people industry as I have for over 40 years I think you need some serious training for you GS. Our trip obviously was a total disaster thanks to your GS staff Gemma McKever and a very rude Tyler Parker.

I am home now but this ordeal is still haunting me. Please train your staff to use common sense and be more courteous and considerate to passengers.
Respectfully,
J.R. Olivieri

@J.R. If you have stuck with this thread, you probably see your letter provoked many different types of responses. Please remember, that nothing written was personal as we were not even there. It is safe to say that any request you send RC about this issue may trigger similarly strong reactions, based on who receives your inquiry. If you still want to go forward, feel free to still post here or message one of the advocates and I know someone will be willing to look over any of your correspondence, etc.

@J.R. By stating "I could just kill myself" you met a classic suicidal symptom which set off the alarm bells that it should have.

Sorry, anyone that has been trained to spot the symptoms would have responded in a similar manner, while embarrassing to you, was for your own well being. You left them no choice but to respond in the manner in which they did until you were cleared by someone who was trained to do it.

I would advise you to find a new saying
I am new to the Staff but I do have experience with cruising. The cruiseline was looking out fot JR's best interests. I would have worded my complaint as such

'Good Afternoon I am Ms. Smith in Stateroom 4422 and for some reason the lock on the door is broken. Could you please send a Security Guard and a Maintenance team member to the staterom as we have been waiting for awhile trying to get in and we're tired. Thanks.

Thats all you needed to say. I am not sure you are due any compensation and in the Passenger Contract the cruise line can Debark anyone they feel can be a harm to themselves and others or for some medical conditions which could be a thret to the well-being of others including yoursefl. I would consider yourself very lucky that you were allowed to cruise. you could have lost the monies paid for the cruise as well as for any medical evacuation and treatment if you did not have Travelers Insurance.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I am new to the Staff but I do have experience with cruising. The cruiseline was looking out fot JR's best interests. I would have worded my complaint as such

'Good Afternoon I am Ms. Smith in Stateroom 4422 and for some reason the lock on the door is broken. Could you please send a Security Guard and a Maintenance team member to the staterom as we have been waiting for awhile trying to get in and we're tired. Thanks.

Thats all you needed to say. I am not sure you are due any compensation and in the Passenger Contract the cruise line can Debark anyone they feel can be a harm to themselves and others or for some medical conditions which could be a thret to the well-being of others including yoursefl. I would consider yourself very lucky that you were allowed to cruise. you could have lost the monies paid for the cruise as well as for any medical evacuation and treatment if you did not have Travelers Insurance.
I got excited when I saw a new post here, I thought maybe JR came back with an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.