Rome Transportation

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 22, 2018
My wife and I are planning a Cruise in May 2019 .We are flying into Rome, spending two days sight seeing, staying in Rome then heading to Cruise ship, about 1 1/2 hour to dock from Rome. We then need to return to Rome , at end of Cruise , we will have about 8 hrs until our flight departure. Our agent recommended hiring a private driver for 6 hrs, cost $861 for touring then to airport.
We are looking for transportation options, including renting a car for 10 days, etc Any help /suggestions on getting around from airport to Rome, then to cruise ship, then back to Rome then yo Airport, will be appreciated.

Mar 17, 2015
I would not want to drive in and or around Rome, but that is me and my comfort level. Hiring the private driver would also be my recommendation. If your cruise has a facebook group, or cruisecritic, etc., you may try getting on there and seeing if a few others want to join in for a private tour that day. I did this for a Norway and then Northern Eruope cruise a few years ago, made some great friends, and we were able to take private tours with a small group for much less than if just 2 of us had a private tour. For the pre-stay, choose a centrally located hotel and walk to most things.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Don’t rent a car in Rome. There is little parking, driving is just about the most aggressive I have ever seen and they give out tickets galore. By the time you pick up the car, drive to Rome and drive around to areas you probably have already seen, it will be time to go to the airport. You need to be at the airport three hours before the flight leaves. What time is your return flight?

The cruise ship can provide transfers to the airport or there are less expensive tours you can find vs a private driver. Go to Trip Advisor and look for recommendations.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
May I suggest not overbooking yourself on departure day in case the ship docks late. Personally, I would rather get to the airport early, pay for a day pass to one of the lounges and relax until the flight. Traffic in Rome can be horrible especially if there has been an accident. Give yourself plenty of time to get through any delays at security. Have a wonderful time!

Jul 2, 2018
Definitely do not drive in Rome. Stay central and you can walk everywhere. Plus the scenery is lovely as you walk along versus holding onto the steering wheel for dear life as you contemplate your own demise on the streets of Rome. I stayed in a VRBO for a week last summer and my host was able to arrange for a driver to the airport for the 6 of us. I had booked something online but cancelled it because what my host offered was half the price. And it wasn't my host driving - he just had an "in" with a local service that was very economical than me arranging something on the internet from North America. In terms of getting from Rome to the cruise port, while it depends on the port, there are very affordable trains that you can take to avoid the price tag. Take a look at tripadvisor as they may have some specific suggestions.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Definitely do not drive in Rome. Stay central and you can walk everywhere. Plus the scenery is lovely as you walk along versus holding onto the steering wheel for dear life as you contemplate your own demise on the streets of Rome. I stayed in a VRBO for a week last summer and my host was able to arrange for a driver to the airport for the 6 of us. I had booked something online but cancelled it because what my host offered was half the price. And it wasn't my host driving - he just had an "in" with a local service that was very economical than me arranging something on the internet from North America. In terms of getting from Rome to the cruise port, while it depends on the port, there are very affordable trains that you can take to avoid the price tag. Take a look at tripadvisor as they may have some specific suggestions.
Our writer would be coming from the Civitavecchia which is an hour to Rome. There is a train option as well but who wants to be pulling their suitcases after a cruise on the train?

Some cruise lines offer post cruise tours to take up time for late flights. Check into that as well.

I’m with Patina- I’d also pay for a lounge and go to the airport from the ship. You can book yourself on the last bus from the cruise out so you can relax a little before disembarking.

Sep 19, 2015
Two big issues for driving in Rome- parking and ZTL — restricted zones where one has to have a permit (such as a resident). Crossing into a ZTL can be pricey and the rental car company/municipality will find you.

I have driven in Rome and it takes a lot of concentration. The road from Civitaveccia to the airport is a major one and it is an easy drive — there are some nice small towns off the road (E90) like Tarquinia. That major road is not a problem but driving in smaller hill towns can be tricky as can parking. There is also a nice lake — Bracciano.

One could take the train but that would require a trip to Termini in Rome and a change of trains to the airport. The quality and speed ranges from the faster Frecciabanca (45 min)to the slower regional train 1 1/2 hours into Rome.

I suppose one could take the train to Termini station exit and take a taxi to the airport but again that would require taking luggage and standing in the taxi line and watching your belongings vigilantly. It is a flat fare taxi ride (48 euro) but it could be slow driving depending on traffic. This sounds like a hassle.

I am not sure what kind of a tour a driver would give, what interests you?

I do not know many of the lounges well in FCO — so I will not comment on those but certainly they can be nice and comfortable and better than staying at the gate.

Feb 3, 2017
So many nice restaurants now too to hang out at in Terminal 3 at FCO in Rome which is likely where the poster will be if flying directly back to the states; I just came back from there last Wednesday - was at airport for about 3 hours, relaxed in nice cafe, read - mooched around, bought some goodies in Duty Free, and off we went.

I think a car just from the port to the center of Rome is roughly 110 euros - The poster could - if they have the energy - get into Rome, put their bags at checked luggage at Roma Termini then just start walking - it is so easily walkable, return to Termini, get an official taxi (48 euros) straight to FCO which takes roughly 45 minutes depending on traffic.

But, what they decided to do would, I think, likely be decided on energy levels on that day and they don't need to decide now.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Driving in Rome - what a concept to make your hair instantly fall out. My colleagues have made that quite clear I think! I remember it extremely clearly from 20 years ago, and I doubt if things have improved. I often stood on the balcony of our hotel on via del Corso watching a 5-street intersection. I was in awe of the Italian drivers who never ran into each other ... cars, lorries, pedestians, scooters, buses ... it was like a ballet. I finally figured out that whoever hesitated for a split-second ... the other guy roared through. Fascinating.

Has your agent spent any time in Rome? I don't think that 8 hours will be difficult to fill between disembarkation and your flight departure. You want to be checking in for your flight 3 hours before (I check in 4 hours on international flights), don't have breakfast on the ship, enjoy airport walkies and window shopping, pick out a good-looking restaurant and enjoy a nice meal. If that all pales, buy into one of the airport lounges. All this is based on your departing the ship on time ... never a guarantee. If money is no object, by all means hire a car and driver ... you'll probably have room for ONE sight before you need to head out to FCO. Have a GREAT cruise and a wonderful experience in Italy.