Rome/Florence in a week

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 11, 2018
Trying to lure my wife and 2 teens to meet me in Rome, then Florence, for about a week. I'm awah for a few weeks, and plan to spend a few days there on my way back, solo or otherwise--I have a contact in Florence, Italy, from my days as a student there.

My wife, a pre-school teacher, is reluctant due to her tight school schedule and says "maybe late summer" ...my kids really want to go! My question for you is, is Feb a much better time, fare-wise that late August or early Sept? Should we wait for October (when school conflicts are endless!)? Who flies to Rome from BWI or Dulles? I've been surprised at lack of BWI departures.

Do you recommend a search engine, (I'm on Skyscanner at present) or do you know of a good travel agent who can work with us to help make this happen smoothly. I have lodging all sorted. We were working w/ an agent in Annapolis, but it wasn't really worth his while, especially if we booked rooms on our own (his rooms were pricy, but $700 is a great air fare!)

Hope you have a few ideas to point us in the right direction. Have a B&B line up in Rome. Lodging suggestions in Florence would be great. Is Lucca worth a day trip??

Sep 19, 2015
7 days is short for Rome and Florence. Does that include travel time (ie days in transit)?

August is a lousy time to go— hot crowded and places closed for vacation.

BWI has limited international flights. IAD has seasonal nonstops on United and Alitalia. Alitalia is in bankruptcy so a lot of uncertainty.

Do not book on some online booking engine. Book directly with the airline.

I can send you some suggestions as I am in Italy several times a year. But am on a plane now and have to power off.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It’s cold in Italy in February. August is hot and humid. Pricing is based on the high and low seasons so naturally- winter is cheaper.

If you want a travel agent, go to Travelsense dot .org and find a member of the American Society of Travel Advisors

Sep 19, 2015
The off season travel has a trade off — less crowds but worse weather.

I would avoid late August in FLorence and Rome.

OP how old are your kids and have they ever been to Italy before? What are their interests? There is a lot to see in Rome and Florence with 7 days. I understand the desire to see a walled city like Lucca or Siena but with only 7 days it gets a bit hectic.

Dec 11, 2018
7 days is short for Rome and Florence. Does that include travel time (ie days in transit)?

August is a lousy time to go— hot crowded and places closed for vacation.

BWI has limited international flights. IAD has seasonal nonstops on United and Alitalia. Alitalia is in bankruptcy so a lot of uncertainty.

Do not book on some online booking engine. Book directly with the airline.

I can send you some suggestions as I am in Italy several times a year. But am on a plane now and have to power off.
I know both fairly well. I think it just might be my wife, and it would be late Feb. We can always go back w/ our 2 teens. Major reason is to see the new Duomo Museum. Any tips on booking flights from Balt/Wash would be great. IAD=Dulles, right? I've been to Siena (spent '87 summer in Florence)...I hear Lucca is nice, so for a day trip, might be a nice diversion. Monday all is closed, right? I'm thinking Feb won't be so busy...Thanks!

Dec 11, 2018
It’s cold in Italy in February. August is hot and humid. Pricing is based on the high and low seasons so naturally- winter is cheaper.

If you want a travel agent, go to Travelsense dot .org and find a member of the American Society of Travel Advisors
Thanks Neil--Appreciate it. Will do!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I know both fairly well. I think it just might be my wife, and it would be late Feb. We can always go back w/ our 2 teens. Major reason is to see the new Duomo Museum. Any tips on booking flights from Balt/Wash would be great. IAD=Dulles, right? I've been to Siena (spent '87 summer in Florence)...I hear Lucca is nice, so for a day trip, might be a nice diversion. Monday all is closed, right? I'm thinking Feb won't be so busy...Thanks!
You really should contact a travel agent with these questions. Let them help you. They are experts. We volunteer here to help with problems - this isn’t the purpose of this site.

There are many good websites that you can search for this type of information.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
This sounds like a lovely trip. I like cold weather, so February in Italy would be great. You have two choices, I think. 1) Find a travel agent and book the entire trip through the TA or 2) Hop on your computer and do the research yourself. Almost all your questions can be answered easily by informed people. Flights out of airports will be listed on the airport's website. I would spend a lot of time on TripAdvisor reading what people post. This will lead you off to more information and it snowballs and pretty soon you have a good idea of what you want.

You can also post on TripAdvisor's forums for personalized answers to questions like "Would two teenage girls enjoy Lucca?", there always seems to be someone on TA that knows the answer to a specific question. I also see a great many people posting their proposed itinerary for a critique and they generate lots of advice.

If you book the trip yourself, be very careful about everything. Read all the fine print every time and understand exactly what you're buying. Don't use an online booking service, book direct with airlines and hotels. If you want a rental car, I use AutoEurope, a broker. Once everything is booked, follow up on your reservations often ... if there are issues (change of aircraft, sale of hotel etc) it's easier to straighten them out before your departure date.