RoamRight Fraud?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 15, 2017
I bought a travel insurance policy with Roamright underwritten by Arch Insurance. My bag was stolen and submitted my Amazon receipts to prove ownership of my lost possessions. My claim was denied and Arch said they contacted Amazon who told them I had returned these items. This is false. I also contacted Amazon and they told me they were never contacted by Arch Ins or Roamright, nor did they or would they ever release information about a purchase to any party without a court order. I have this in writing on their letter head. I provided this letter to Roamright. Roamright/ Arch Insurance is committing fraud and misrepresentation in order to deny this claim, in my opinion. I have opened up an appeal and it has been months with no response. I have asked for a letter or contact information for the Amazon contact who gave them this alleged information. No response to my request or protest. I emailed them numerous time and have tried to reach them without response. Calling them is also fruitless. They tell me it is in process. Given they will lie in order to avoid paying out a claim, I doubt their own internal appeal team will approve my claim. I have filed a claim with the Michigan Insurance Commission and it is in process.

Feb 9, 2016
So, Amazon isn't going to give your account information out to anyone. Whatever Arch said, it's a lie. Was this reason given to you in writing?

I suspect they are denying you because they don't believe these items were in your bag. Did they refund any part of your bag contents?

Did you follow their claim process to the letter?

Nov 15, 2017
I followed their requirements to the letter. They totally denied my claim, stating that they contacted Amazon and that Amazon told them I had returned some of the items I claimed were in the bag that was stolen. Nothing has been paid out. Arch put this in writing to me as the reason the claim was denied. This seems like the perfect scam on the part of an insurance company to deny a claim. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I had thought this was a reliable company when I purchased travel insurance with them. I guess not.. any suggestions?

Sep 19, 2015
Catalyst what is the total value of the claim? I am wondering if it is worthwhile to contact an attorney. Does your state or city have a Consumer ombudsman or does the insurance commission get involved.

I have to say I find their claim that Amazon would reveal consumer info to some random person or company not credible in the least. Where is their proof that Amazon said that? You have proof contradicting them.

Feb 9, 2016
Their claim that Amazon would release personal info is not credible. I was recently curious as to how much of her retirement my grandma actually spent at QVC. I called QVC customer service and let them know that I didn't want to know the items purchased, but was more looking for a sum total of all purchases. The CS rep said they were not allowed to give out account information to people that were not THE account holders.

Look into the process of opening an appeal to the denial of claim.

Then

Step 1 Scan in your letter of claim rejection.
Step 2 Email Amazon customer support. Attach your claim denial letter. Explain your claim situation briefly. Refer them back to the letter and ask them why they gave out your personal account information to the insurance company. Then ask Amazon to provide you with proof that the items were, in fact, returned, or to state that they can find no record of return.

Wait for a reply. My guess is that Amazon will reply saying they never spoke to anyone and, from what they can see, the items were not returned.

Forward that email to your insurance carrier as part of the appeal.

Nov 15, 2017
Amazon already gave me a letter clearly stating that they never gave any information to anyone including RoamRight or Arch Insurance about my account. Arch Insurance/ RoamRight lied and refuses to provide any proof- they have none obviously. I am left holding the bag- denied claim.. I am not sure what I can do at this point. Is there a way I can pursue something via this site? I see that your company other people resolve things like this. My guess I am not the only customer this company has pulled this fraud scam on.

Feb 9, 2016
First things first, if you have all your paperwork ducks in order, and you can prove that roam right lied about Amazon AND that you never returned these items, dispute the claim using all the paperwork.

If you disagree with the claims decision we have reached, you can send a written appeal to: Appeals - Claims Department, RoamRight, Executive Plaza IV, 11350 McCormick Road, Suite 102, Hunt Valley, MD 21031, email it to claims@roamright.com, or fax it to 443-279-2901.

Feb 9, 2016
As another poster asked - what was the total value of your stated claim? How much did the Amazon items cost? Did you get paid anything?

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
@Catalyst has provided the answers to most of y'all's questions.

I bought a travel insurance policy with Roamright underwritten by Arch Insurance. My bag was stolen and submitted my Amazon receipts to prove ownership of my lost possessions.

My claim was denied and Arch said they contacted Amazon who told them I had returned these items. This is false.

I also contacted Amazon and they told me they were never contacted by Arch Ins or Roamright, nor did they or would they ever release information about a purchase to any party without a court order. I have this in writing on their letter head. I provided this letter to Roamright. Roamright/ Arch Insurance is committing fraud and misrepresentation in order to deny this claim, in my opinion.

I have opened up an appeal and it has been months with no response. I have asked for a letter or contact information for the Amazon contact who gave them this alleged information. No response to my request or protest. I emailed them numerous time and have tried to reach them without response. Calling them is also fruitless. They tell me it is in process. Given they will lie in order to avoid paying out a claim, I doubt their own internal appeal team will approve my claim.

I have filed a claim with the Michigan Insurance Commission and it is in process.
I added some paragraphs to break it out. Claim was filed, denied. Appealed with no response. Has provided proof to insurance co that Amazon provided no information.

Filed claim with Michigan Insurance Commission.

@Catalyst I think at this point all you can do is wait. I hate to say that. Do we have executive contacts for them? If not, please click on the help tab and explain that you are looking for the executive contacts for them. The research department will see what they can come up with.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I bought a travel insurance policy with Roamright underwritten by Arch Insurance. My bag was stolen and submitted my Amazon receipts to prove ownership of my lost possessions. My claim was denied and Arch said they contacted Amazon who told them I had returned these items. This is false. I also contacted Amazon and they told me they were never contacted by Arch Ins or Roamright, nor did they or would they ever release information about a purchase to any party without a court order. I have this in writing on their letter head. I provided this letter to Roamright. Roamright/ Arch Insurance is committing fraud and misrepresentation in order to deny this claim, in my opinion. I have opened up an appeal and it has been months with no response. I have asked for a letter or contact information for the Amazon contact who gave them this alleged information. No response to my request or protest. I emailed them numerous time and have tried to reach them without response. Calling them is also fruitless. They tell me it is in process. Given they will lie in order to avoid paying out a claim, I doubt their own internal appeal team will approve my claim. I have filed a claim with the Michigan Insurance Commission and it is in process.
So everything in your stolen bag was from Amazon? What about the bag itself? What was its value?

Nov 15, 2017
So everything in your stolen bag was from Amazon? What about the bag itself? What was its value?
I also had items I bought on Ebay. However,, Roamright/ Arch Insurance said my whole claim is denied because they say I lied because Amazon told them ( false statement) that I had returned to some items. They accused me of fraud so my whole claim is denied.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This might be one the writers should look into. Do you have all your emails from Amazon and Roam Right?

If you have filed a claim with the Michigan Insurance Department, wait and see what their investigation turns up. If they can't help, let us know and we can ask the writers to take a look at this. They do a thorough investigation with the information you provide before they will even take on a case.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I also had items I bought on Ebay. However,, Roamright/ Arch Insurance said my whole claim is denied because they say I lied because Amazon told them ( false statement) that I had returned to some items. They accused me of fraud so my whole claim is denied.
It would be helpful if you made a concise, chronological list of ALL the details. Perhaps we can give you some guidance. We aren't much help if new facts appear one by one; we need the whole picture.