roadside assistance bill

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 19, 2019
To Nora Henry and all,
1-800-984-9123
[email protected]

Rental date: 07/25/2019
Rental#:
VCR#:
Case#:

Why should I have to pay $253.70 (total expense for services & repairs) for your mistake in giving a rental car (VW Jetta) that has defective tires and no spare tire.
You all have not reported it to the federal agency as this is a safety issue and could cause injury to other people.
We were given a 2nd car in Orlando airport with same issue until after a 3hr ordeal they gave us a different car. I have all the pics even from the towing company.
It is not my fault and you all need void this bill in full.

Manavi

Edited to remove case number and all identifying rental and claim info, OPs phone number and last name for their personal safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2015
There are, for me at least, some missing pieces in your post . . .
  • Defective tires: How have you determined this?
  • Reporting it to the federal agency: Where do you find this requirement?
According to the Avis Rental Terms, "Where permitted by law, you authorize us to charge you for the actual cost of repair or replacement of lost or damaged items such as glass, mirrors, tires and antenna, as part of your rental charges at the time of return." This is the case across all rental agencies unless:

"In some instances, you may purchase added protection under Extended Roadside Assistance to cover potential costs associated with lost keys, remote entry devices, lockouts, flat tires, towing (if the car becomes inoperable), jump starts, and emergency fuel delivery (up to 3 gallons)."​

Thus it seems to me, that unless you can offer proof what you have stated, you are liable for the tire damages . . .

Apr 8, 2019
Are you talking about the article "defective tire cupping which causes premature tire wear and tear leading to expensive repairs and potentially serious safety concerns"? The article I found was written by a class action lawyer seeking plaintiffs. According to this class action lawsuit filed against Volkswagen, the manufacturer intentionally concealed the tire cupping defects. Volkswagen has not offered to pay for repairs or new tires caused by this "defect".

Sep 19, 2015
Are you talking about the article "defective tire cupping which causes premature tire wear and tear leading to expensive repairs and potentially serious safety concerns"? The article I found was written by a class action lawyer seeking plaintiffs. According to this class action lawsuit filed against Volkswagen, the manufacturer intentionally concealed the tire cupping defects. Volkswagen has not offered to pay for repairs or new tires caused by this "defect".
That lawsuit was filed in 2017 and was about older models. Not certain if it is relevant to the issue as most rental cars are newer models.

Sep 19, 2015
And I just checked the class action lawsuit -- it was not for the Jetta but for the CC model and the claim was that faulty alignment made the tires wear out early.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If something happened to the tire when you rent a car, if you didn’t buy insurance to cover tire damage you are usually on the hook for replacing the tire.

Can you tell us what happened? Without knowing what happened we can’t really steer you in any direction.