Reward Card expired

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 14, 2019
I have amex reward cards from bummed flights on Delta. Due long to illness , we fought about the cards and now they are past the expectation date. Tried talking to amex but they said can't do anything , the cards aren't there and so they can't renew them.if I go to the reward site and put in the card numbers it say the car Everything I can find for the card agreements says the card can be replaced after the date. Any suggestions

Mar 14, 2019
Got the card summer 2017 - expired June 2018. Card not hacked the money is still there. The card say nothing about what happens when card expires. Tells you how to check your balance . It also says to check card agreement for further details. When I check with american express I was told I was looking at the wrong agreement ,but they couldn't tell me where to find the right one.

Jan 11, 2017
I think this might help you:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/prepaid/gift-cards/Reward-CHA.html
I quote the relevant parts:

FUNDS DO NOT EXPIRE

The funds on the Card do not expire.

VALID THRU DATE

The "valid thru" date on the front of the Card is the date through which your physical plastic card may be used. This date is required to process transactions at merchants that request a plastic expiration date. Even if the "valid thru" date has passed on the Card, its Available Balance remains unchanged and intact. If an Available Balance remains on the Card after the "valid thru" date, call 1-800-297-7327 to obtain a replacement Card or for instructions on how to redeem the Available Balance.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with Christina, Delta may be able to help you. AmEx customer service has gone downhill rapidly over the last few years, it's difficult (not imposssible) to get information from a rep who has few language skills. Delta is known for their customer service, it's possible they'll make an exception for you, since you let the cards expire because of illness. Worth a try. Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I think this might help you:
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/prepaid/gift-cards/Reward-CHA.html
I quote the relevant parts:

FUNDS DO NOT EXPIRE

The funds on the Card do not expire.

VALID THRU DATE

The "valid thru" date on the front of the Card is the date through which your physical plastic card may be used. This date is required to process transactions at merchants that request a plastic expiration date. Even if the "valid thru" date has passed on the Card, its Available Balance remains unchanged and intact. If an Available Balance remains on the Card after the "valid thru" date, call 1-800-297-7327 to obtain a replacement Card or for instructions on how to redeem the Available Balance.
This is WONDERFUL information, Grandma. I hope our OP can get this settled.

Feb 21, 2018
Be aware, though, that this may not be a true Gift Card.

Generally, gift cards purchased with real dollars do not expire and do not have fees associated with them. A 'reward' card, which as described seems to be given without an exchange of case as compensation for being bumped, may not have the same no-expiration terms. It may very well be similar to a flight credit that is given when a passenger cancels a trip, as in Southwest flight credits.

If there is a physical card, the terms should be on the back.

Sep 19, 2015
I believe msmayor may be correct -- that these are a different type of AmEx card given by Delta. I know I have been given AmEx gift cards as gifts and they have at least 5 years before they expire and can be exchanged once a card expires (assuming it has not been hacked).

From Flyertalk it seems that the 2019 Delta AmEx gift cards for giving up a seat expire in 6 months -- so I think the OP should contact Delta as these are something particular to Delta.

Apr 10, 2017
Last June my husband and I received $300 each in these Delta AmEx gift cards. The cards only had the AmEx logo on them and looked like any other AmEx gift card. I was told multiple times these cards would expire and it said so with the paperwork that accompanied them. My situation is different because I only got these cards as compensation for a poorly handled flight delay on the part of Delta (thanks to the company contacts). I was actually able to go online and select the gift cards I wanted. There were numerous options such as Amazon, Lowe's, Best Buy, etc. Was OP simply given the card with no further explanation?

Jan 6, 2015
The compelling fact for me is when Barbados enters the card number on the AMEX site it states clearly that "the card can be replaced after the date ".

I suggest he/she capture that screen and appeal to AMEX using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page . . .

Sep 19, 2015
The compelling fact for me is when Barbados enters the card number on the AMEX site it states clearly that "the card can be replaced after the date ".

I suggest he/she capture that screen and appeal to AMEX using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page . . .
VoR61 -- I just looked up a gift card on the Amex website. It does not actually say that the funds never expire. What one has to do is go to links for the specific terms for the type of gift card:

"American Express Gift Cards, Business Gift Cards, the Outdoor Reward Card or the Gas Rewards Card may be used virtually anywhere in the US that accept American Express ® Cards. These products may not be used at ATMs or for Recurring Billing. The Carnival Corporation Reward Card, the Hilton Gift Card and the Hilton Business Gift Card may be used only at certain participating locations. Additional limitations may apply. See American Express Gift Card Cardholder Agreement, American Express Business Gift Card Cardholder Agreement, Hilton Gift Card Cardholder Agreement, Hilton Business Gift Card Cardholder Agreement, Carnival Reward Cardholder Agreement, Outdoor Reward Cardholder Agreement or Gas Rewards Cardholder Agreement, as applicable."

I think the Delta cards are a specific type of card -- with different limitations such as ADM reports (post 15) as do many people on flyertalk. But there is no link to the terms on the general AmEx gift card site.

Last June my husband and I received $300 each in these Delta AmEx gift cards. The cards only had the AmEx logo on them and looked like any other AmEx gift card. I was told multiple times these cards would expire and it said so with the paperwork that accompanied them.

When one takes Voluntary Denied Boarding compensation there is usually some paperwork involved with the card -- I think the paperwork acknowledges that it is voluntary so no DOT complaints later.

I think it may be easier for Delta to cancel that card and give a new one -- it seems that the Delta AmEx compensation cards are not the standard gift card -- especially if Delta and AmEx have an agreement about expiration date, AmEx may not want to be in violation of the agreement

Jan 6, 2015
Yes and no. According to the link posted earlier, the points do not expire but the card has to be replaced after the "valid thru" date. It's a strange setup in my opinion . . .

Mar 16, 2019
Hello Barbados.

With the issue you are having, please reach out to Delta directly. This is likely a special product that Amex allows Delta to offer it's customers, so the terms and conditions will be different than a card you'd get directly from Amex.

Instead of trying to call, send a tweet to @Delta. That way, you will reach some of Delta's most experienced agents. I've found them to be very responsive and able to quickly resolve issues that went nowhere over the phone.