REtractable Awning

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 11, 2019
We had a retractable awning (manufactured by Futureguard Building Products of Auburn, ME) installed a number of years ago by a Williamsburg company (Apple Door of Williamsburg). Last November we noticed a problem in the awning whereby holes were appearing in the awning caused by the retracting and expanding of the awning. Some of the various warranties given at the time of installation are still in effect. Nevertheless, despite numerous contacts with the companies, each company seems to be blaming the other company for the problem. The offer from the manufacturer does not seem to be in accordance with the warranties and is merely a temporary solution (since the issue will occur again) and not a permanent solution.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If some assistance is not forthcoming from the various companies who issued warranties, is it possible that your homeowner's insurance might have some coverage? Holes in an awning would make it unusable, I would think. Good luck and hope for the best.

Sep 11, 2019
For your further information, I am attaching the following: Original Invoice, Warranty information and Memorandum from another awning manufacturer explaining the problem. (I am told that the other two files are too large to send via this method. Will try to send emails to transmit information.)

Attachments

Jan 6, 2015
In this forum, we cannot see what you sent via the Help request form.

Has a Case Advocate agreed to help you? If not, please attach all warranty information here.

Apologies for the inconvenience . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
For your further information, I am attaching the following: Original Invoice, Warranty information and Memorandum from another awning manufacturer explaining the problem. (I am told that the other two files are too large to send via this method. Will try to send emails to transmit information.)
I cannot see any warranty information, only the invoice from 2011.

Sep 11, 2019
QUOTE="Neil Maley, post: 121490, member: 591"]Can you post a picture, scan or link to the warranty?[/QUOTE] I am now trying to send warranty information in two segments to see if this works. I will also be sending (in three segments) a memorandum written by another awning representative explaining the problem. Hopefully all will be transmitted to you. If there is a problem, would it be possible for you to give me a mailing address where I could send the information by mail. It would be a lot easier for me (as a non-techie senior) if I could talk to a live person instead of trying to figure out how to send the information via your somewhat confusing system.

Attachments

Jan 6, 2015
By way of disclaimer, I am not trained either in mechanics or the law. What I am about to offer is my summary of the documents you attached.

from Bryan Freed

The awning roller tubes are damaged in the center
This caused the rips in the fabric
The fabric is not rubbing on anything
The rivets are pulling out of the structure inside the roller tube
from Nulmage warranty

Not responsible for faulty installation or use for which product was not intended
The fabric is covered for 10 years
The labor is covered for 1 year (model 7700) and covers repair/replacement of defective components

Framework (lifetiime)
Includes all framework and hardware
Excludes electronics and labor

Fabric (10 years)
Includes defects, loss of color or strength

All warranty work requires pre-approval by Futureguard
from Apple Door Systems

Installation was October 27, 2011
Labor warranty is for two years
What does all this mean? Two things stand out to me:

The fabric damage is caused by the roller tube damage
I see no evidence (by Bryan Freed) of the cause (product defect or improper installation)
You will, I think, need to obtain a professional opinion as to the underlying cause in order to proceed. If the problem lies in the framework (design?), Nulmage should be responsible. If this is an installation issue, I don't know that Apple Door Systems is liable, given their labor warranty.

Also a factor, is that 8 years have passed since the awning was installed . . .

Sep 11, 2019
By way of disclaimer, I am not trained either in mechanics or the law. What I am about to offer is my summary of the documents you attached.

from Bryan Freed
The awning roller tubes are damaged in the center​
This caused the rips in the fabric​
The fabric is not rubbing on anything​
The rivets are pulling out of the structure inside the roller tube​
from Nulmage warranty
Not responsible for faulty installation or use for which product was not intended​
The fabric is covered for 10 years​
The labor is covered for 1 year (model 7700) and covers repair/replacement of defective components​
Framework (lifetiime)​
Includes all framework and hardware​
Excludes electronics and labor​
Fabric (10 years)​
Includes defects, loss of color or strength​
All warranty work requires pre-approval by Futureguard​
from Apple Door Systems
Installation was October 27, 2011​
Labor warranty is for two years​
The fabric damage is caused by the roller tube damage​
I see no evidence (by Bryan Freed) of the cause (product defect or improper installation)​
You will, I think, need to obtain a professional opinion as to the underlying cause in order to proceed. If the problem lies in the framework (design?), Nulmage should be responsible. If this is an installation issue, I don't know that Apple Door Systems is liable, given their labor warranty.

from Bryan Freed
The awning roller tubes are damaged in the center​
This caused the rips in the fabric​
The fabric is not rubbing on anything​
The rivets are pulling out of the structure inside the roller tube​
from Nulmage warranty
Not responsible for faulty installation or use for which product was not intended​
The fabric is covered for 10 years​
The labor is covered for 1 year (model 7700) and covers repair/replacement of defective components​
Framework (lifetiime)​
Includes all framework and hardware​
Excludes electronics and labor​
Fabric (10 years)​
Includes defects, loss of color or strength​
All warranty work requires pre-approval by Futureguard​
from Apple Door Systems
Installation was October 27, 2011​
Labor warranty is for two years​
The fabric damage is caused by the roller tube damage​
I see no evidence (by Bryan Freed) of the cause (product defect or improper installation)​

Am trying to reach Mr. Freed. Will respond then. Thanks.