reservations@reservations.com

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Mar 5, 2019
I recently booked a hotel in Abbotsford BC Canada with reservations.com (Through a phone number on the site ) Charges allocated were to my credit card by Travelscape LLC @reservations.com ON receiving my confirmation I noticed that the booking was done in US funds. (I booked from my home in Canada. I phoned and cancelled because I could not understand why I was being charged in US Funds which made it more expensive, This doesn't sound up front as no mention that the charges were to be in US funds until I received the confirmation. Something doesn't sound right?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If it is a US company they may not have the ability to book in Canadian dollars. What currency was shown on the screen before you booked?

Their terms state they can only book in US dollars or GPB or Euros. They do not offer other currencies.

Can I change my Currency while booking?
← Billing
Customers who wish to be charged in GBP or EUR may do so on the bottom of the hotel page, by clicking the currency drop down menu.

Thank you again for choosing Reservations.com.

If the company sells in Canadian dollars the pricing is usually shown in Canadian dollars on the booking screens. You say you called through a phone number on their site. Didn’t you check pricing when you first went to the site? Or checked the terms?

I hope you didn’t buy a nonrefundable rate- just cancel the booking.

Sep 19, 2015
If one searches for complaints on this website one will find similar complaints for years— the currency issue, the reservation fee issue—

One has to be very careful with these random third party booking services and look at the fine print.

There are reports that this OTA would pay to boost their listings to confuse people into thinking that they were booking directly with the hotel.

One has to be very careful nowadays.

Dec 19, 2014
When I go to reservations.com to do a mock booking of a hotel in Canada, it states "Full payment will be charged to your credit card when you book this hotel. All charges in USD. " under room cancellation policy.

I'm curious... why did you not book direct with the hotel?

Jan 6, 2015
The challenge for travelers these days is that we all have to pause, click, and read every line for exceptions/qualifications. Another is that sometimes the "gotchas" don't appear until the purchase screen. It's becoming easier to miss important items. Be watchful . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Arthur says he called the number on the website to book. I don’t quite understand why he wouldn’t have just booked it on the website if he went as far as finding the website online.

He also says he called and canceled (wisely didn’t book a nonrefundable rate apparently) but said “something doesn’t sound right?”

There is nothing wrong. They don’t do bookings in Canadian $, plain and simple.

If he would have booked online or checked the website terms he would have seen that there are only three currencies thus company accepts and Canadian $ isn’t one of them.

The Canadian$ vs US is very low- if you want to book in Can.$ you should book through a Canadian company. US companies usually book in US$.
And everyone should do a google search “complaints about xxxxx”- the name of the company- before booking anything. It amazes me how many people just book without checking anything. That’s what allow these type of companies to continue doing what they do.

Glad he was able to cancel.

Jan 6, 2015
That could explain why the $USD was missed by him. But then did the person taking the order not notice Arthur was from Canada? Or did he/she simply not think to explain that he would be charged in USD?

FYI, I captured the portion of the initial search page that shows the currency options (bottom left of the page):

1551886015151.png

But that's only when you have searched for a hotel. It is not visible on the main page . . .

Mar 5, 2019
That could explain why the $USD was missed by him. But then did the person taking the order not notice Arthur was from Canada? Or did he/she simply not think to explain that he would be charged in USD?

FYI, I captured the portion of the initial search page that shows the currency options (bottom left of the page):

View attachment 2315

But that's only when you have searched for a hotel. It is not visible on the main page . . .
Thank you for your reply. I am a senior 82 not overly experienced on the web sites but will be more vigilante on future bookings. once burnt twice shy.

Jan 6, 2015
Arthur, I think this is poorly done on their part. To expect you to notice small lettering at the very bottom (plus it's in gray) is not good business practice. I think the person with whom you spoke should have reminded you =.

That said, currency is something to automatically look for when booking "out of country" . . .

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I've been booking business and personal travel for years, Arthur, and I still read it all, write it down, log out of the website, review my notes, go in the next day to book. Since I'm one of the original forum advocates from way back, I would be mortified if I booked something incorrectly! "They" think of new tricks to separate us from our money on a weekly basis. All we can do is take our time and think about what we're reading. If something "doesn't look right", walk away, quickly walk away. Read any emails immediately. Check your reservations on the website frequently. I'm a trusting soul, but when it comes to booking travel on the internet, I become a police officer looking at everything from six angles.