Reservation was deleted from United Airlines computer system

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 30, 2019
While waiting for my shuttle to the Geneva airport, I realized I did not receive a check-in email or text message 24 hours prior to my flight. A woman on my shuttle was also on the same flight. I asked her if she received the email and she said she received an email and text message. This worried me because I did get an email for the arrival flight from Phoenix to Geneva. I arrived at the airport two hours early for my flight. Walked to the counter at the same time as the woman from my shuttle. She checked in with no issues and told me she would see me at the gate. When I told the young man my name he was not able to find it anywhere on the flight. I then showed him my email confirmation I received from United Airlines. He acknowledged that I was showing him a valid confirmation but said again he could not find me. I asked if there were open seats and he said yes. When I asked if he could assign one to me he told me he could not and that his manager would have to do that. At the time the manager was working with another passenger. While we waited he assured me that if I could not get on that flight there were other flights that day he could put me on. And also that he could even walk me up to the gate if need be and they could get me on the flight. His manager came over and he explained the situation. She immediately replied there is nothing I can do for you the United States has to book you on this flight and they are not answering the phone. The manager got on the phone while saying something to the young man afterward. It was not in English so I didn’t know what it was. The young man then told me to step over to the next counter and his co-worker would take care of me. After that he left his counter and I never saw him again. I then had to re-explain everything to another employee. At this point a lot of time had passed, but I would still have been able to make the flight. She told me she didn't understand the problem because her co-worker had not said anything to her and asked me if I was late. I told her no, I was not late I arrived two hours early. She was not able to find my name anywhere on the flight. She then told me she could not help me and I would have to fly out the following day at 10:45am. I told her that was impossible and that I had to work at 6am the next morning. I asked her if she could book me with a different airline then and she immediately said that everything else was full. I asked her to check and she said we only share code with Swiss and they are full. Even thought I never saw her check anything on her computer. I said it shouldn't matter who they share code with considering I had paid for a flight and was being denied access to it even though there were seats available because they had somehow deleted my booking from their system. She then pointed to my bag I was going to check and asked me if it was mine and if it had any liquids in it. I told her yes I have liquids in it. She told me I would have to throw them away. I asked her why and she said because if I were to go through security with it I couldn't have any liquids in it. I told her that doesn't make sense that I should have to throw away my expensive liquids in my checked bag when people are allowed to bring liquids through TSA. Then I got out my luggage key and started to get my liquids together. She looked down at me and told me that it was too late. Then she got on the phone with someone and stopped and said to me "Did you or did you not refuse to throw your liquids away". At this point I could not believe all of this was even happening to me and was not about to argue with her as I was now stranded in Switzerland with no return flight to Phoenix and I still needed to be at work at 6am the next morning. I told her I did not want to but I would have. After that she said she could get me on a flight out later that day with Swiss Airlines returning home at 11pm that evening. I wasn't happy about arriving so late since I had bought my original flight so that I could be home at a reasonable time to get to work in the morning but I took it. I asked if it would be possible to be put in Business class for everything that I had been put through and if it was still possible to get a vegan meal as my original flight I had requested one. She printed me out something and had me go to the Swiss counter to check in and ask about my requests. I then walked over two desks to the Swiss counter and asked the girl about the meal and upgrade. She told me I would need to go over to the Swiss office and ask them and come back. I went to the Swiss office and the woman told me that it was too short notice for a vegan meal and that the flight was full. Then I went back to the girl at the United counter almost in tears at this point and told her that the woman at the Swiss office told me the flight was full. She said something to the girl two desks over at Swiss Airlines, (the one who had told me to go to the Swiss office) and told me to come back to her counter. At that point she got a very bad attitude with me and told me that she already told me that I was on that flight and that if I wanted anything special after that I would need to check with the Swiss office and after that I needed to come back she would check me in and take my bag. All of this was said to me in a terrible tone and borderline yelling at me. None of this should ever have happened. It makes zero sense how I could purchase a flight and have no problems checking in on the arrival but my return trip is somehow non-existent in the computer. After the way I was treated and everything that I was put through I feel I should be entitled to a refund for my flight.

Sep 19, 2015
I am having a problem understanding this. Was this the return part of a round trip ticket? How was the flight originally booked?

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Would you mind shortening your post, maybe using bullet points? It is very long and difficult to get through. Please state just the facts leaving all emotion out of it. This will help us to help you resolve your issue.

Jun 24, 2019
Not meaning to be critical of a very distressing situation, but you should keep in mind the invention ofthe paragraph. Others here would suggest you use bullet points.

If I understand correctly, your return reservation from Geneva to P{hoenix was lost somehow. However, you did fly back the same day, arriving later than you would have liked. You did not get a vegan meal on the return trip, even though you had ordered one for the cancelled flight.

You have not explained or guessed at why the return trip was lost from the airline's computer.

Jul 30, 2019
I am having a problem understanding this. Was this the return part of a round trip ticket? How was the flight originally booked?
Hi Christina,

Sorry for the confusion. This was a round trip flight I had booked directly with United Airlines. I had no problem checking in on the way there. But on for some reason when I went to check in for my return flight it was missing from their system.

Jul 30, 2019
Would you mind shortening your post, maybe using bullet points? It is very long and difficult to get through. Please state just the facts leaving all emotion out of it. This will help us to help you resolve your issue.
Sure, I actually had bullet points originally when I contacted United but removed them all. The post was what I had sent to United.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Sure, I actually had bullet points originally when I contacted United but removed them all. The post was what I had sent to United.
Eeek! That may be a problem. Customer service has a ton of email complaints to go through a day. The shorter, more precise ones will get attention, the so-called novels won’t. Let’s see if you can take another run at it and post your situation here in a brief manner and we can direct you on what to do next.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did they give you any reason for why they dropped the return? You must have had a ticket number assigned if you had no problem on the outbound flight.

They will most likely not give you a free flight because they did what they were contractually bound to do - get you home in the class of ticket you bought.

You should receive something for the terrible ordeal you went through thought- miles or at least a credit towards another flight.

We have company contacts on top of our page. Please re-write this in a bullet pointed letter with facts only. Date, reservation numbers , etc.

Ask for a partial credit towards a new flight or some mileage. Requesting a full refund is asking for too much but I’d ask for perhaps a 50% future credit.

We have this post advising how to go about writing most effectively. Let us know how you make out.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Jul 30, 2019
Eeek! That may be a problem. Customer service has a ton of email complaints to go through a day. The shorter, more precise ones will get attention, the so-called novels won’t. Let’s see if you can take another run at it and post your situation here in a brief manner and we can direct you on what to do next.
I had originally sent them a shorter one and got a reply saying "sorry for the inconvenience". So I wrote them a lengthier response giving them more details. I am trying but do not see anywhere I can delete my original. Do you know how?

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you want to make a concise, chronological list of what happened, just the facts, we will do our best to help you. Leave out things like "removing liquids" from your bag, just state what happened with your flight. I'm sorry, but what you've posted is impossible to read, much less understand. Unless you get very lucky, nobody at United will read it either. We can show you how to contact them, once we understand all the details of what happened.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I had originally sent them a shorter one and got a reply saying "sorry for the inconvenience". So I wrote them a lengthier response giving them more details. I am trying but do not see anywhere I can delete my original. Do you know how?
No need to delete, just go ahead and comment on this thread, we’ll see it and help you accordingly.

Sep 19, 2015
My guess is a boarding pass did not scan correctly and the OP was wrongly marked as a no show.

The ground handling agent made a mess of it. The should have been able to contact UA.

I think the airline should give a voucher of several hundred dollars or miles.

For future reference — special meals need at least 24 hours and do not bother asking for a business class upgrade as compensation — not going to happen and just adds stress from hearing the no.

If possible one should always check the reservation the night before - it is sad that it has come to this but passengers need to look out for themselves—

Apr 10, 2017
What a mess. Did anything at all unusual happen with your outbound flight, such as a schedule change or plane change? I'm just wondering if even a minor change wasn't handled correctly on the airline's end and your return was mistakenly canceled.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If the return flight had been dropped, she would not have been able to check in 24 hours before. Someone mentioned that the boarding pass might not have been scanned correctly on the first flight, leading to being marked as a no show and the return flight canceled. This sounds like the most likely scenario. Not the OP’s fault at all and I feel the airline should do something for her.

Feb 3, 2017
Ah, maybe. I wonder - is there a way to confirm a boarding pass has been properly scanned on the outgoing flight? It's not something I've ever thought of happening and the potential consequences.

Jul 30, 2019
What a mess. Did anything at all unusual happen with your outbound flight, such as a schedule change or plane change? I'm just wondering if even a minor change wasn't handled correctly on the airline's end and your return was mistakenly canceled.
Yes, my connecting flight from Chicago to Montreal was delayed several hours, so I had to be re-routed with Air Portugal through Portugal, because I would have not made my connection from Montreal to Geneva.

Jul 30, 2019
My guess is a boarding pass did not scan correctly and the OP was wrongly marked as a no show.

The ground handling agent made a mess of it. The should have been able to contact UA.

I think the airline should give a voucher of several hundred dollars or miles.

For future reference — special meals need at least 24 hours and do not bother asking for a business class upgrade as compensation — not going to happen and just adds stress from hearing the no.

If possible one should always check the reservation the night before - it is sad that it has come to this but passengers need to look out for themselves—
It wasn't even an issue with the boarding pass, he couldn't find my name anywhere on the flight. He asked if I would have booked my reservation under a different name. I then showed him my email confirmation from United Airlines. He agreed I was showing him a valid reservation but said again he was not able to find it on the flight. Regarding the special meal, I had requested that when I originally booked my fight. But when my flight was transferred to Swiss Airlines I was trying to see if there was anyway I could still (hopefully) get that on short notice.

Jul 30, 2019
If you want to make a concise, chronological list of what happened, just the facts, we will do our best to help you. Leave out things like "removing liquids" from your bag, just state what happened with your flight. I'm sorry, but what you've posted is impossible to read, much less understand. Unless you get very lucky, nobody at United will read it either. We can show you how to contact them, once we understand all the details of what happened.
I know, I'm sorry I received an email asking me to post my problem to the thread here and did a quick copy/paste of what I had written down right after it had happened.
  • I went to the United Airlines counter at Geneva Airport to check in for my flight and the employee could not find my name on the flight
  • I then pulled up my email confirmation showing him I should have been on the flight
  • He agreed what I was showing him was valid but said he could not give me one of the open seats his manager would need to
  • When the manager came over and stated she could not give me a seat, someone in the U.S. would need to and no one was answering the phone
  • I was then moved to another counter (the first employee left) and had to begin explaining my problem from the beginning
  • Initially I was told I would need to wait until the following day and would be re-booked
  • After repeatedly stating I had to be at work the next day and could not wait an extra day to depart, I was eventually re-booked later that day on a Swiss Airlines flight