Reservation on Royal Caribbean Canceled Without Notice

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
Yes, at this time the ship has only waitlist availability for balcony cabins and some oceanview cabins. But as has been said, changes happen last-minute and you may be fortunate. I agree with the advice to keep calling Royal Caribbean (daily is not too often at this late date) just to see where you stand and if anything has opened up.

I also agree that the cruise line cancelled your reservation immediately when final payment was not made on the deadline date. That is common practice in the cruise industry (especially if the ship is sold out or close to sold out). It's a shame no payment reminder was issued by the OTA, and that you didn't contact them close to that date to make sure final payment was in order.

Here's hoping a preferable cabin opens up for you. But the issue is with this OTA, not with Royal Caribbean. Their poor practice of not sending payment reminders is to blame here.

Feb 9, 2016
Yes, Royal Caribbean has put me on some kind of wait list to be upgraded, but I have no idea about what the possibilities are. Have you ever been wait listed for an upgrade? Thanks
Yes and yes it works, but not always. Squeaky wheel gets the grease but you have to be super sweet and act excited!
I have never needed to waitlist myself for an upgrade but @JVillegirl541 is correct. I would call once a week to inquire if an upgrade is available. Each time you call be sweet, hopefull and excited and, if you can quickly mention that you had the perfect room, room XYZ, all booked but an online TA didn't get your final payment in so you lost the reservation, and you are sad but really love RCCL so you rebooked and learned te lesson of always booking directly thru them from now on, that wont hurt either.

Feb 9, 2016
Here's my confusion. Probably 5 or so years ago RCCL went to a system where Travel Agents could not sell, were prohibited from selling, a cabin for less than a customer could book it thru RCCL directly. As a result, OTA's, etc started offering different perks, like a $50 room credit, etc, to attract people to use the TA.

Has that changed?

OP, did you book at a price than was lower than what RCCL was selling for? Could this be the case of an OTA wagering that the price of the room would drop enough to be able too book you at a lower price and, when the price didn't drop, the OTA simply decided to let the reservation fall thru?

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Keep calling them! People don't show up on sailing day for many reasons or cancel at last minute. Call often!
Yes, people do cancel and get sick at the last minute and cancel. So don't give up hope.

And in the future - just book your trip with a legitimate travel agency or directly through the cruise line. When you buy through these discount sites, the agents make almost nothing on your booking and they do not offer any type of service.

Royal Caribbean automatically cancels bookings if the final payment is not made by midnight on the due date. The agency you booked through apparently didn't take note that you wanted to have it paid automatically.

And buy travel insurance please so if you miss your flight or get sick and can't travel, you don't end up here trying to get a refund. Or if something happens outside the U.S. that you have no medical coverage for.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I don't think any travel provider will charge your credit card without your authorization. You would need to contact your agent a week before the balance was due and take care of it. When you didn't pay the balance, your res was automatically cancelled. You're probably best off finding an experienced travel agent when planning a trip like this.

Carol Phillips

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 28, 2014
Coastal South Carolina
I don't think any travel provider will charge your credit card without your authorization. You would need to contact your agent a week before the balance was due and take care of it. When you didn't pay the balance, your res was automatically cancelled. You're probably best off finding an experienced travel agent when planning a trip like this.
Good question, @judyserienagy

For convenience's sake, some cruise lines allow "auto-pay", where the client pre-authorizes final payment on a specific credit card. The cruise line automatically makes that final payment on the due date.

Royal Caribbean is NOT one of these. Final payment must be made by the agent on or before the stated due date.