Rescheduled Daughter's Wedding - Looking to reschedule flights on Southwest but Mom now unable to travel

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Nov 7, 2020
I booked airline tickets on Southwest last year for my daughter's wedding for my husband, myself and my mom and her aide. As you can probably guess the wedding was cancelled so we cancelled our reservations and each received the value in travel funds. I posted on this forum last year and was luckily able to recover the cost of the aides ticket since we did not know who would be travelling with mom in the future..thanks!! I am very happy to say the wedding is back on for this August and we are looking to rebook our tickets. However, my mom will be 91 by the time we travel to NY from FL and is now physically not able to fly. She had a heart attack in January and is under a doctors care for both her cardiac health and for severe back issues for which she is undergoing pain management treatments. I would love to get a full refund of her travel funds which she will, at this point, never be able to use. If that is not possible, perhaps her funds could be transferred to the Rapid Rewards accounts for me and my husband since the flights we need to rebook now are a bit more expensive than our previous tickets so what is in our travel funds will not be sufficient to purchase the entire fare. The amounts in each of our accounts is $277.96. Last year I was able to get the refund for mom's aide's ticket by contacting Michelle Buckley on your contact listing. However, she told me it was a one time courtesy so I don't know how receptive she will be this time. However, this seems like a very different situation given my mother's advanced age and health. Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!!

Skippy

May 30, 2019
I don't have a good recommendation, but I'm sure other people will. For reference, the experience last year is explained in this thread:

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
Have you tried reaching out again? The worst thing she can do is say no. And the best would be she says yes.
But when you reach out, keep your story short and sweet.
And please please please be very grateful in your communication. As she mentioned, she did not have to give you a refund for the aid's ticket. Asking for another favor is asking a lot. Southwest may never grant another exception if they keep getting "punished" for being generous! The phrase: no good deed goes unpunished comes to mind.....

Dec 19, 2014
I have mixed feelings on this one.... Southwest already gave you a one time courtesy. The backstory is different but the situation is the same. You are asking for a refund or transfer of the ticket funds on a ticket that you are not entitled to such.

Personally, I would let it go. But you do you.

Nov 7, 2020
It doesn’t hurt to write and ask. The worst they can say is no. You won’t know unless you ask.

Going forward, consider buying travel insurance - this is exactly what it’s for.
Thanks for your thoughts Neil... Bought the tickets for my daughter's wedding so didn't think travel insurance was needed since you couldn't keep me from that for any reason!!! We have purchased it for more costly trips and it is money well spent. Who had any idea that there would be a pandemic that would create this entire situation. I would love my mother to be able to attend her granddaughter's wedding but it is not an option at this point. Having to lose $278 on top of that sadness just makes matters more heartbreaking. Just to let you know...I am communicating with SW via Twitter right now. They requested a doctor's note and then will decide if they can make any kind of exception to their rules. Will let you know what they say!!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I remember your original story, Gwen and glad you prevailed on the aide's tix refund. I too have mixed feelings about another request ... but I think your idea of turning a refund into points towards a future flight is genius. Lots of good luck, and I hope the (finally) wedding is one to remember forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Maley
Nov 7, 2020
So....I am very happy to report that after contacting SW via Twitter they were able to grant full transferability for my mom's travel funds. We obtained a note from her Pain Management doctor where she is currently undergoing treatments for severe stenosis of her back and after forwarding it to the customer relations on my Twitter feed they were able to combine our travel funds with mom's. I have already booked our tickets for our daughter's long awaited wedding in August....cannot wait!!!!! I will be forwarding a letter of gratitude to the corporate office and expressed my gratitude to every rep I dealt with. I highly recommend using social media to communicate with SW since their phone wait time was over 2 hours! Thanks everyone for your help and advice......

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
So....I am very happy to report that after contacting SW via Twitter they were able to grant full transferability for my mom's travel funds. We obtained a note from her Pain Management doctor where she is currently undergoing treatments for severe stenosis of her back and after forwarding it to the customer relations on my Twitter feed they were able to combine our travel funds with mom's. I have already booked our tickets for our daughter's long awaited wedding in August....cannot wait!!!!! I will be forwarding a letter of gratitude to the corporate office and expressed my gratitude to every rep I dealt with. I highly recommend using social media to communicate with SW since their phone wait time was over 2 hours! Thanks everyone for your help and advice......
Wonderful news, Gwen. See how being polite and asking nicely works? Just like our mama's taught us. I'm sure you are also praising SW on all public social media sites you can find, right? I just got two wedding invitations for August ... should be a happy month of celebrations across the country after the long wait.

Nov 7, 2020
My mom taught me you get more with honey than vinegar! Enjoy your weddings in August....so happy we are all able to celebrate the good things together again!!! My new favorite airline.....SW!!!!!