Reschedule a flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 7, 2015
Question for the experts out there. My daughter has a round trip ticket from SNA to PHL on American. She now needs to stay longer than planned and will fly to San Diego instead of SNA. I bought her a one way ticket from PHL to San Diego a week later. My thoughts were for her to just not get on the return flight to SNA, therefore not having to pay the change fee. Now I'm wondering if there's any chance that because she's not on her return flight, will American cancel her future one way flight that was bought later? Should we call American and tell them she won't be on the return flight?
Would appreciate any and all advice!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As long as the flight the last one on the itinerary, she will be fine not taking the flight from PHL to SNA. If it was the outgoing part of the the flight - they would cancel the return if she weren't on the outbound.

Dec 10, 2018
Yes, that's what I thought. I've just read or heard stories of cancelled flights and I just wanted to make sure.
From my knowledge, I don't think they would. However, the airlines get very cranky when you do stuff like that, but since the airline is still gaining revenue you should be fine.

Jan 7, 2015
Should we call the airline and inform them that she won’t be on the flight? I’m sure any credit would be negated by the change fee.

Dec 10, 2018
I'm only familiar with airlines cancelling future flights after a missed segment. However, I avoid any missed segments so I'm probably not the best to ask. I'd suggest maybe searching FlyerTalk for similar scenarios to yours?

Nov 21, 2014
Why not have her fly the first leg (SNA -PHL), then call and cancel the return leg? Keeps the whole process clean and she’s not a no-show! There is probably virtually no residual value of that leg because of a change fee...and you will have no worries.