Requesting a refund for health reasons

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 3, 2018
Dear members of the Elliot Advocacy forum,

Seven months ago , I made a reservation with Delta Airlines for a trip to Dakar, Senegal on 08/11/2018.
Unfortunately, I am not able to travel because of a health condition. I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder; I am on disability and have to see my doctor every week for treatment.
In light of these circumstances, I would like to request a refund from Delta.
I would like to have your advise on how to proceed for the refund.
Thank you in advance for your valuable input.

Al

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
If you purchased a refundable tix, Al, you can probably cancel and request a refund on Delta's website, or you could call them. If you bought a non-ref tix, you will not be able to get a refund. They will probably give you a credit towards a future flight, less a change/cancel fee. I'm assuming that you purchased the tix directly from Delta If you used an online booking service, you'd need to contact them for assistance. I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, but getting the diagnosis and a plan of treatment is a very positive step. Please come back to us with further questions or concerns.

Mike

Verified Member
Oct 1, 2014
Notice ticket was bought seven months ago. It could be that any credit will only be good for one year from date of purchase or about four/five months. Since he might not be able to use it by then, I'd suggest a couple of things starting with checking whether he has insurance through the credit card used or otherwise. If so, call the insurer. If not, call Delta ASAP because if he becomes a no show by not calling within the next few days, he may be totally out of luck.

Delta sometimes makes exceptions for medical hardship. He needs to be honest with them as a confirming letter from doctor may be needed. BUT CALL NOW.

If he booked via an agent, he might want to call the agent first.

Aug 3, 2018
Dear members of the Elliot Advocacy forum,

I just wanted to let you know that Delta approved my refund request. It was an easy process and was completed within 2 weeks.
I recommend readers to send their requests to the following address:

Delta Inc. Passenger Refund
PO Box 20537
Atlanta, GA 30320-2537

Thank you all for your input.

Al

Sep 19, 2015
I suspect that one reason the airline refunded your ticket is because because of you being very polite and respectful. I do hope that your health will improve.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with Christina, Al. Your sincerity shines through your words and I'm so happy that the airline saw this and took good care of you. Now you take good care of you, too, OK?