Request for Refund -- need expert opinion

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 13, 2017
In trying to help a friend with a substance abuse, I used my Frontier Credit card to make an airline reservation for him to fly cross country to an addiction treatment facility. I enrolled him in Frontier’s Discount Den, ($49.99) so we could get a cheaper price on the airline ticket. With the baggage, the Den and the one way ticket, the total was $279.49. Shortly thereafter, we found out that the rehabilitation facility was a scam, and we had most likely been in contact with one of those “Body Brokers” that have been in the news who get a kickback for referring addicts to rehabs that are sub-par. Anyway, I cancelled the flight before the time of the flight.

I was told if I provided a letter meeting Frontiers criteria, stating the medical reason that “Bud” could not fly, I would get a refund. Since “Bud” was admitted to a rehab facility in our own state that night, I was able to get a letter. However, the rehabilitation program he is in is only for 30 days. In order to get a full refund, Frontiers rules are that you have to have a medical reason that you cannot fly within 90 days. Frontier is willing to give an airline credit (not a credit card refund) for $229.50, waiving the cancellation fee. The Discount Den membership is not refundable. I was more than happy to accept that, until after further questioning, found out the Frontier credit can only be used by “Bud”. I am hoping and praying he will be kept in the facility for more than 90 days, but even if he is on his way to recovery after 30 days, he needs to get his life on track and get back to work and will not be taking any flights anywhere for a long time.

I am looking for expert opinions. Is it too much to ask that I be allowed to use the Frontier credit, since the charges are on my credit card? I would much prefer to have my credit card account credited, of course. Can you suggest any further steps I can take to get a better resolution or am I being unrealistic? Please advise.

Apr 10, 2017
It's nice of you to help your friend. Unfortunately the flight credit can only be used by the ticketed passenger, no one else. It's non-transferable and a standard policy across the airline industry.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It's nice of you to help your friend. Unfortunately the flight credit can only be used by the ticketed passenger, no one else. It's non-transferable and a standard policy across the airline industry.
ADM is correct. You don't own the ticket. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Thankful it isn't more money you are out.

Nov 20, 2015
Addiction care seldom ends abruptly after an inpatient stay. Therapy continues on an outpatient basis for weeks or months. Participation in a formal after care program is critical for success in maintaining sobriety. This is the same sort of thing as being hospitalized for an injury and having to undergo a period of physical or wound therapy after discharge.

I'm betting that your friend's counselor or physician would be willing to state that he doesn't need to travel away from his support structure/therapy for the 2 months after discharge from inpatient care. Again, outpatient care is every bit as important as hospitalization.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I agree with my colleagues that there may be a way to salvage the credit at Frontier so your friend can use it. However, I also think that they may be amenable to refunding your card. You are doing a great, generous service for a friend and are to be commended and rewarded, not penalized.

I suggest you write a polite, concise email requesting an exception to their policy. Submit it to customer service, if there's no response after two weeks, or you don't like the answer, use our Company Contacts to contact each executive up the beanstalk, waiting a week between each submission. We see miracles here every day ... it's a long shot but surely worth a try. Good luck and please let us know the outcome.

Oct 13, 2017
Just wanted to let you know that I was not able to get a refund from Frontier. "Bud" was not able to use the credit either, as he has been drinking again since his stay in rehab. Thank you again for your suggestions and encouragement.