Request cash in lieu of flight vouchers

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone had experience with Frontier in obtaining cash instead of flight vouchers for a cancelled flight? I booked a flight that was subsequently cancelled because they are stopping flights for that departure city to my destination city. I had to book another flight through United which cost $234 more than my original flights. I was reimbursed for the cost of the Frontier flight but they offered two vouchers for $100/per person for the inconvenience but I have to book flights with these vouchers by 1/4/18 and I won't be making any other travel arrangements that would enable me to use the vouchers so I would rather have them reimburse me for the difference in cost.

Feb 9, 2016
Frontier states that they will refund your money

https://az832049.vo.msecnd.net/media/3705/cs_coc_08042017.pdf

18.C says

Delay, Misconnection, or Cancellation - In the event (i) a passenger's flight is cancelled, (ii) a passenger is denied boarding because an aircraft with lesser capacity is substituted, (iii) a passenger misses a connecting Frontier flight due to a delay or cancellation of a Frontier flight (but not flights of other carriers), (iv) a passenger is delivered to a different destination because of the omission of a scheduled stop to which the passenger held a ticket, to the extent possible, Frontier will provide transportation on its own flights at no additional charge to the passenger’s original destination or equivalent destination as provided herein. Frontier will have no obligation to provide transportation on another carrier. If Frontier cannot provide the foregoing transportation, Frontier shall, if requested, provide a refund for the unused portion if the passenger's ticket in lieu of the transportation under the foregoing. The foregoing shall be the limit of Frontier's liability for the matters covered by this provision.

Feb 9, 2016
they are just hoping you haven't scrutinized their contract of carriage and that you will accept vouchers that you will default on so they can keep your money.

Call them back

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
"I was reimbursed for the cost of the Frontier flight"

They made you whole, correct? They issued you the certificates for your inconvenience, not as money owed? If so, they didn't have to give you anything else but the flight money.

Here are the your rights as a flyer - if a flight is canceled, they airline either has to rebook you on another flight - which they can't do if they aren't flying to that city anymore - or provide you with a refund. They did what they are legally required to do and went above board with something for your inconvenience.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights

Oct 30, 2017
"I was reimbursed for the cost of the Frontier flight"

They made you whole, correct? They issued you the certificates for your inconvenience, not as money owed? If so, they didn't have to give you anything else but the flight money.

Here are the your rights as a flyer - if a flight is canceled, they airline either has to rebook you on another flight - which they can't do if they aren't flying to that city anymore - or provide you with a refund. They did what they are legally required to do and went above board with something for your inconvenience.

https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/fly-rights
Correct. They did refund the cost of the Frontier flights and the vouchers were given in consideration of the inconvenience of having to make alternate flight arrangements.

Feb 9, 2016
Wait, so you were made whole with a cash refund and on top of that they gave you vouchers to fly with them later? And now you want cash for those?

Feb 9, 2016
Heather Lane No I am wondering if anyone was successful in asking that, in lieu of vouchers for future travel that I won't be able to take advantage of, I would prefer they gave me the difference in price for the tickets I had to purchase to replace the ones I originally made with Frontier because they cancelled that flight.
@Heather Lane Offhand I do not know if anyone was successful in turning their gifted vouchers into a cash refund to cover the overage they incurred because of purchasing replacement tickets.

The best I can tell you is to email Frontiers company contacts and ask. In my opinion, if you are really only attempting to cover the overage, send the person a copy of the frontier charges and a copy of the new charge receipt, to show the additional monies out of pocket and ask for them to please send you the difference (the overage) in cash, and cancel the vouchers.

Your best bet it to prove you spent the additional money and only ask for your out of pocket while, at the same time, thanking them for the vouchers and indicating that a refund of the difference is acceptable in lieu of the vouchers.

Be nice, thank them for the acknowledgement of difficulty in canceling the flight, praise the overall service you've normally gotten when you fly frontier, etc.

Start with customer service, send the email, wait one week. if you don't hear anything, or get rejected, move up to he first executive.

http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/frontier-airlines/

Feel free to post your letter here before you send it and we can proof it.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2015
One issue with asking for additional compensation for the flight difference is that Frontier has positioned themselves as an ultra low cost carrier-- one has to pay for a soda or cup of coffee on the plane. They are more like Spirit and Allegiant. United even with the unappealing basic economy fare will not charge for a cup of coffee or a soda. It is not surprising that the replacement ticked on UA cost more. I wonder if Frontier will pay the difference. It is always harder to get cash, but the OP can try

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you all for all your helpful advice. I especially appreciated the contact information which would be difficult to get otherwise. I will let you know the outcome. I figure it's worth a try.