Rented in Israel did I need to pay for Theft? CDW was purchased at time of booking.

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 13, 2018
Before going on my trip I reserved a car though Avis.com I chose the Collsion Damage Waiver (CDW) because I wanted full coverage and pre-paid for the rental. It was $274.82 for the Base Rate and $220.00 for CDW. According to AVIS.COM the CDW provides coverage if the car is damaged or stolen. At the airport pickup they tried to charge me an additional insurance fee. I pointed out the rental was pre-paid and they let me go after signing the paperwork and letting them put a hold on my credit card for around 900 USD. I don't have the exact amount because the hold has dropped off my card. When I returned the car I was forced to pay for additional insurance of
$66.99 which I was told was for theft protection. I signed a credit card for this fee because they claimed I had to pay for that insurance.

My understanding is that the CDW is supposed to cover everything so I am confused why I had to pay for this additional insurance.

johnbaker

Verified Member
Oct 2, 2014
@MannyL The problem you're going to run into now is that you signed the credit card receipt. The time to dispute this is at the desk and not to sign the new charge (after all your rental was over). Ultimately your problem will be that you agreed to the charge in writing.

You can try reaching out to Avis using our company contacts to see if their corporate office will do anything

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
"When I returned the car I was forced to pay for additional insurance of $66.99 which I was told was for theft protection."

Puzzling how they can charge you for theft protection when you have returned a car that obviously was not stolen. Sort of like being able (not) to buy insurance for Hurricane Florence on Saturday. This seems to be on the garbage charge spectrum.

Jun 13, 2018
"When I returned the car I was forced to pay for additional insurance of $66.99 which I was told was for theft protection."

Puzzling how they can charge you for theft protection when you have returned a car that obviously was not stolen. Sort of like being able (not) to buy insurance for Hurricane Florence on Saturday. This seems to be on the garbage charge spectrum.
They claim it was outstanding from when I picked up the car
@MannyL The problem you're going to run into now is that you signed the credit card receipt. The time to dispute this is at the desk and not to sign the new charge (after all your rental was over). Ultimately your problem will be that you agreed to the charge in writing.

You can try reaching out to Avis using our company contacts to see if their corporate office will do anything
When I picked up the car I disputed paying any more for insurance because it was pre-paid including the CDW. I was allowed to take the car without paying any more money at that time. (Other than the hold for what they called a deductible ) When I returned the car they mentioned scratches which they say were not on the form. My wife told the person who inspected the car that we were told there were so many scratches not to worry about them. I have pictures of car at time of rental. I did not think to take pictures when the car was returned.

They would not give me the paperwork showing the car was returned without me paying for the additional insurance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
What does the contract you signed say? Did you sign for any additional coverage? If you didn’t- they shouldn’t be charging you. Did you initial any other boxes on the contract when you picked up the car?

If you have a copy of the contract showing you didn’t sign for theft, I would take this further up the chain and might even consider a credit card dispute.

General you need Loss Damage Waiver for their, and CDW for accidents. Some rentals have Super CDW that offers both. The Avis website for the LDWsays: Avis accents responsibility if the car is stolen and not involved in an accident.

The CDW doesn’t mention anything about a stolen car, only if the car is in an accident.

https://www.avis.com/en/products-and-services/protections/loss-damage-waiver

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
They claim it was outstanding from when I picked up the car

When I picked up the car I disputed paying any more for insurance because it was pre-paid including the CDW. I was allowed to take the car without paying any more money at that time. (Other than the hold for what they called a deductible ) When I returned the car they mentioned scratches which they say were not on the form. My wife told the person who inspected the car that we were told there were so many scratches not to worry about them. I have pictures of car at time of rental. I did not think to take pictures when the car was returned.

They would not give me the paperwork showing the car was returned without me paying for the additional insurance.
If you did not sign acceptance of the charge(s) when you picked up the car, it is not outstanding. It is either on the contract as signed for at pick-up or it is not. If it is not on the pick-up paperwork you should dispute it, first with Avis, then with your CC.

Carrie Livingston

Staff Member
Advocate
Jan 6, 2015
St Louis
Sort of like being able (not) to buy insurance for Hurricane Florence on Saturday. This seems to be on the garbage charge spectrum.
I used to live in Mobile, Alabama and my ex-husband was in the insurance business. Whenever a named storm hit the Gulf of Mexico, he could not write homeowner policies. There were some exceptions, a new home purchase was one of those, but generally speaking no insurance if you didn't already have it. That's to protect from only insuring when something might happen vs all the time.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I used to live in Mobile, Alabama and my ex-husband was in the insurance business. Whenever a named storm hit the Gulf of Mexico, he could not write homeowner policies. There were some exceptions, a new home purchase was one of those, but generally speaking no insurance if you didn't already have it. That's to protect from only insuring when something might happen vs all the time.
That was my point. You can't insure against an imminent hurricane threat, why should you pay for something that can't happen (like theft of a returned car).

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That was my point. You can't insure against an imminent hurricane threat, why should you pay for something that can't happen (like theft of a returned car).
If you signed for it when you picked up the car and they didn't charge you - they can charge you. If you did NOT sign for it on the contract - they can't. It doesn't matter that it didn't happen, it depends on if you initial the LDW box.

Jun 13, 2018
My copy of the contract says CDW+TP I am assuming it means Theft Protection. I am getting an error when I try to attach the image here.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
And you did not initial anything else when you picked up the car adding the LDW coverage? Sometimes they sneak that in on the screens they ask you to initial when you pick up.

If you did not, use our company contacts to escalate the issue to the executives at Avis. But I would also contact your credit card company and ask them how long you have to file a dispute. You don't want to miss the filing time frame. You might have an issue winning the chargeback because you signed the receipt for the charge but state you were under duress.

Jun 13, 2018
Thanks. I am going to ask my wife for copies of what we have. I lose them and she doesn't. I just sent an email to the customer service email listed to ask for a copy of any contracts. I know my card says I have 60 days to file a dispute so I am good there for now. There were no screens to sign on at the airport kiosk, They had me sign paper forms.

Aug 5, 2018
Please also know that Avis Budget does not have a corporate location in Israel and the Israeli locations are pretty shifty. It is not uncommon to see a lot of CPD stuffing within the Israeli locations. Thankfully, the reservation price essentially includes everything that you'd need anyway.

Sadly, the majority of international (outside US/Canada) locations are franchises and corporate only has the ability to charge back up to $150 from your rental after 10-30 day wait for corporate to get in touch with the location. That's up to 45 days for damage issues.

International locations also will not refund any signed insurance 99% of the time. The only way this gets refunded is by an agent charging the corporate account and trying to obtain that money back from the franchise at a later time.

Avis Budget knows these things happen and don't do anything to combat it.

Aug 5, 2018
Supervisors CAN escalate and refund more than $150 but that takes a long time and they don't like doing it unless it's for an extreme reason.