Rentalcars.com

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2019
I recently went to Kayak web site and rented a car. It was from Dollar Car Rental, but the transaction was handled by RentalCars.com. I filled out the form, submitted it, and got a conformation number, 658892970. In my mind, that was IT! I was done, I had my number, rental was conformed.

So, I arrived at the airport (Springfield,MO), There was 4 of us, all seniors in mid 60's, lugging 4 checked bags and 4 carry on bags, and went to the Dollar Car rental desk. I presented my number. 'Austin' didn't know anything about any rental. He thought it was with another company, So, I stood in 4 lines, nearly 3 hours it took (total). I had my cell phone and made some call, actually LOTS of calls, and found out from Dollar that my rental had been CANCELLED! I was stunned. The Dollar lady on the phone was very nice and told me that the cancellation was done by Rentalcars.com. I was stunned (and angry). Why would they cancel my car? Anyway, we were tired, still had over an hour drive (to Branson, Mo) to our hotel. The problem was that there was a Pro-Am golf tournament in town (Justin Timberlake, Mark Wahlburg) and lots of fans were in town, there were NO large cars available. I had reserved a Mini-Van to accommodate 4 rather large adults plus 8 pieces of luggage. Dollar was out of any large cars, in fact, the only size vehicle I could get was from AVIS (I don't like Avis, and like them even less now), and it was a HUGE Ford F-150 pick-up truck. And, of course, it was raining. We had to pile all the luggage in the back seat on top of people, and drive the oven an hour trip to Branson, It was like driving a school bus in the Ozark Mountains.

And the rate I was forced to pay (Avis didn't meet the Dollar Car rental price, what a shock) was about 3 times the original rate at Dollar.

I called RentalCars.com and was NOT in a happy place! I was told my rental was cancelled because it wasn't paid for yet. There was some trouble with my credit card. I was too angry to talk to them, but, the vacation was scarred by having to drive this monster truck around narrow streets, and steep hills, and sharp turns, not to mention the 10mpg gas consumption.

When I got home, I called RentalCars.com and the first person I talked to, (yeah, I know, I didn't get his name) was very nice. He was able to tell me that RentalCars.com had sent me 3 e-mails. He also told me that none of the e-mails went through. So, he said that RentalCars.com would take care of this (gave me awarm fuzzy feeling), and I was happy. I was transferred to a Matthew S, this was all done by e-mail, and Matthew S was NOT the comfort I was hoping for, in fact, he told me that I didn't even have a conformation number. After I gave him the number, then he said that it was NOT a conformation number but, rather a Booking number? We argued back and forth via e-mails.

All I wanted was to be reimbursed for the EXTRA expense. The Avis truck rental was OVER $1,200! If they hadn't cancelled my car, I would not have been out the money (or the extra gas, driving this monstrosity, and the lost time, waiting at the airport)

I was then given to a Lelde. I got the feeling that Matthew S knew that RentalCars had done me wrong but, maybe he didn't have the authority to make the call to reimburse me, and I was being transferred to some that did. Boy, was I wrong! To say Lelde was less that helpful would be an understatement. She maintains that the cancellation they made was fine, and that the number they gave me was . . . nothing! Then she offered for me to WRITE (not e-mail, hand write then snail mail to Manchester, England!) their legal department (HOT DOG, who doesn't LOVE to communicate to lawyers?)

Legal & Compliance Department
TravelJigsaw Limited
35 Fountain Street Manchester, M2 2AN.

I don't know if you can do anything about my situation, I tried and got nowhere. But, maybe you could warn others travelers to NOT use Rentalcars.com unless they want to run the risk of having there reserved car cancelled on them!

Thank for your help,

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Here is the contact information for rentalcars.com (owned by Priceline): https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/
"Priceline is an online travel services company that operates six primary brands: Booking.com, priceline.com, agoda.com, Kayak.com, rentalcars.com, and OpenTable. " That is why kayak sent you to rentalcars.com.

The unfortunate situation is that not one, but two intermediaries were involved before Dollar was accessed. The potential for a problem with the booking goes up astronomically. You need to book directly with the rental car agency, hotel, airline etc.
https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

May 1, 2018
it was a HUGE Ford F-150 pick-up truck. And, of course, it was raining. We had to pile all the luggage in the back seat on top of people, and drive the oven an hour trip to Branson, It was like driving a school bus in the Ozark Mountains.
the vacation was scarred by having to drive this monster truck around narrow streets
It sounds like you had a terrible experice but I don't understand these comments at all. I understand you're upset about your poor experience but preposterous statements like this really don't help your case. Consider a Chrysler Pacifica, probably the most common rental minivan, has dimensions of 204″ L x 80″ W x 70″ H. An F150 with a 4 door cab has dimensions of 232″ L x 80″ W x 76″ H. So the truck is 13% longer and 8% taller than the minivan. That seem pretty close in size to me.

The size thing is a distraction and your intended audience will just roll their eyes at your story. The point of telling you this is so you focus your narrative on the refund of the cost difference when you write to Priceline executives as directed by weihlac above. Leave out the extraneous complaints about the vehicle being too large when it was just slightly larger than the one you booked.

Sep 19, 2015
It sounds like a poor experience and this is why this site advises people to book direct with the company and not have a middle man. Why after seeing the price did you not go to Dollar and book with them?

In the conversation was there a threat of legal action?

All the can do is write to the executives but be brief and polite.

Jun 18, 2019
It sounds like you had a terrible experice but I don't understand these comments at all. I understand you're upset about your poor experience but preposterous statements like this really don't help your case. Consider a Chrysler Pacifica, probably the most common rental minivan, has dimensions of 204″ L x 80″ W x 70″ H. An F150 with a 4 door cab has dimensions of 232″ L x 80″ W x 76″ H. So the truck is 13% longer and 8% taller than the minivan. That seem pretty close in size to me.

The size thing is a distraction and your intended audience will just roll their eyes at your story. The point of telling you this is so you focus your narrative on the refund of the cost difference when you write to Priceline executives as directed by weihlac above. Leave out the extraneous complaints about the vehicle being too large when it was just slightly larger than the one you booked.
DanD - Thank you for the tip, I will do what you said. And I will erase all the preposterous statements. If there are any others, I would appreciate any other tips. Also, I don't see an e-mail address posted for Priceline? If you don't mind I will send you a post of the re-written complaint to get your opinion BEFORE I send anything to them? Thanks again VB

Dec 19, 2014
Victor,

While I sympathize with your story, I can't help but feel that there is a component of user error. Your experience at the rental car counter could have been averted if you had reconfirmed your reservation prior to the departure of your trip. At least you would have learned that there was no active reservation and could contact rentalcars.com to make arrangements before you showed up at the rental counter.

Nevertheless, if there was an error processing the credit card and rentalcars.com couldn't contact you, the reservation would be canceled.

Unless you can prove that rentalcars.com negligently canceled your reservation, you have no case. Realistic expectations is that you may get a gesture of goodwill in the form of a voucher for $100.

Some other side notes...
- Dollar and Avis are completely innocent parties here. Any dislike for them based on your experience is misplaced.
- Your experience with the CSR isn't surprising. The first person you talked aka the entry level CSR agent, is simply following script. They are trained to make you feel good, but actually don't have the power to do anything. They will then transfer you to the enforcer. Its a form of good cop, bad cop.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
DanD - Thank you for the tip, I will do what you said. And I will erase all the preposterous statements. If there are any others, I would appreciate any other tips. Also, I don't see an e-mail address posted for Priceline? If you don't mind I will send you a post of the re-written complaint to get your opinion BEFORE I send anything to them? Thanks again VB
Here is the contact information for rentalcars.com (owned by Priceline): https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/priceline/

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
One other comment. Even if you had a valid Dollar reservation number, you still could have found yourself without the vehicle you had reserved, or no vehicle at all from Dollar. In high volume rental times, rental agencies may not be able to provide a specialty vehicle (7 pass van) that was reserved and may not have any vehicle available. A friend of mine had a car reserved in Hawaii over the Dec holidays and had no choice on arrival but to accept a pickup truck from the same agency.

However, with a valid rental confirmation #, they would not charge you for the more expensive vehicle.

I always check my rental confirmations on the rental car website (not the booking agency web site) to verify that the rental is valid and correct for the dates I reserved. The booking agency will give you their number for the booking that is different from the rental agency number, but also will include the actual rental car booking number somewhere in the confirmation email.

Jun 18, 2019
I do understand that Dollar Rental Cars has nothing to do with this. And the reason I don't like Avis was from something that happened years ago, totally unrelated.

I totally disagree with this being even slightly MY error! I have made MANY (even hundreds) of reservations on-line. I have never had a company cancel a reservation. This trip alone had 5 or 6 reservations related to it, airlines, car, hotels, show, events and reserved tickets. I don't think anyone checks on a daily basis the status of their reservations? The very definition of the word is that you don't have to check, it's 'reserved'!

I'm sorry about whay happened to your friend in Hawaii. I would have accepted another vehicle from Dollar Rental, but they didn't have ANY. Avis was my only choice, and they tripled the price!

Thank you for the contact for Price Line, I will alter my original per your (or someone's request) and send it.

Thanks again
Vic

Jun 18, 2019
It sounds like a poor experience and this is why this site advises people to book direct with the company and not have a middle man. Why after seeing the price did you not go to Dollar and book with them?

In the conversation was there a threat of legal action?

All the can do is write to the executives but be brief and polite.

I didn't threat legal action. In fact, RentalCars.com is based in the UK

Legal & Compliance Department
TravelJigsaw Limited
35 Fountain Street Manchester, M2 2AN.

And, according to Lelde, the 'enforcer' I talked to, they don't have e-mail or phone at their legal offices. So, to get in touch with them, one had to HAND WRITE a letter the above address, and use snail mail. And who doesn't LOVE to write to lawyers? :)

Vic

Jun 18, 2019
Did you rent a pre-paid rate? Unless you did, they don't need your credit card information for a reservation.

Honestly, I don't know what happened. I was told by one of RentalCars.com 'enforcers' some kind of 'confuse and conquer' goble-de-goop, that I would be issued a 'voucher'? Oddly, I reserved another car with them AFTER this one (Seattle). NO voucher required, and they didn't cancel this reservation. Go figure

Vic

May 1, 2018
You are welcome to post it here to have the community provide feedback.

Jun 18, 2019
This is a copy of the website, and an accurate copy of what I saw! Of course, the
"Rental cancelled" was added later. I never did see that! Nor did I ever authorize the cancellation! you will note, that there IS a 'Booking number', and THAT is what I took to the dollar counter.

I thought that was it! We were done! My car was BOOKED! I had the Booking Number! I wrote it down, it was a deal!

HELP!
VB

Edited by a moderator to remove link containing personal information

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 19, 2014
Victor,

I looked at the link that you posted in message #17. Per that confirmation screen, it states an e-mail was sent to "Pxxxxxx45@yahoo.com" to confirm the reservation.

Was this the correct e-mail?
Did you receive a confirmation at that e-mail address?

If so, then did you receive any additional e-mail at that e-mail address? Did you check the spam folder?

So, here are the possible scenarios and explanations...
- If that is not the correct e-mail address, then it would explain why Rentalcars or Dollar couldn't contact you and why your reservation was cancelled
- If that is the correct e-mail address, and you didn't receive an e-mail, then it could be a technical glitch
- If that is the correct e-mail address and you received a confirmation e-mail and no further e-mails, did the follow-up e-mails go to spam?

But, question #1: Is that your correct e-mail address? If the answer is yes then question #2: Did you receive the initial confirmation e-mail? If the answer is yes, then question #3: are the follow-up e-mails in your spam folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.