Reinstating United Airline miles

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Members, please correct me if this is wrong. I have logged my understanding of this policy using the term "carryover":

Prior to the change, unused miles expired after a certain period regardless of account activity. Now, the miles will accumulate (carryover) as long as there is eligible activity every 18 months.
Ah, good differentiation. I do remember now, my account would state a date when my miles expired. Every time I had activity that date would be moved out 18 months. Never paid attention because I had constant activity in my account. It will be interesting to see how UA re-words their website to reflect that "rule change". They're so used to embroidering everything to reflect positively that I think it's quite difficult to tell what reality is.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Members, please correct me if this is wrong. I have logged my understanding of this policy using the term "carryover":

Prior to the change, unused miles expired after a certain period regardless of account activity. Now, the miles will accumulate (carryover) as long as there is eligible activity every 18 months.
United miles (all of them) previously remained in your account and did NOT expire if you had some account mileage accrual every 18 mos. The miles had an expiration date of 18 mos from last activity; this goal line got moved forward every time you earned miles.

We need to see what the new terms are once they update the website. My recent emails from United simply say miles NEVER expire-period. Nothing about new earned miles within a time period to prevent expiration.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
This is what currently displays next to my UA mileage balance:

"Great travel memories never expire, and now, miles don’t either. We’re excited to share that there’s no expiration date on the miles you’ve earned with us."
No conditions/qualifications listed such as periodic account activity. We'll have to see how this turns out.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This is what currently displays next to my UA mileage balance:

"Great travel memories never expire, and now, miles don’t either. We’re excited to share that there’s no expiration date on the miles you’ve earned with us."
No conditions/qualifications listed such as periodic account activity. We'll have to see how this turns out.
And that’s the problem - they released this without t and c.

Aug 9, 2019
Maybe 10 years ago or more, I had 75,000 miles with United. They changed the rules for mile expiring without notification, and erased all my miles. When I found out and called in about it, they claimed they had sent several letters in advance about the miles expiring quicker. Funny thing, my address had never changed and I never received any warning from them, although all my other mail arrived as usual. I requested that they reinstate my miles but they refused. I haven't flown on United since.