Reinstating United Airline miles

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
On May 1; 2019 63,000 + miles were deleted from my mileage account, as expired. I did not see a message warning me, although United says an email was sent. United no longer has miles that expire ever. How do I get these miles back, without buying them back or getting a United credit card and spending money? Seems to be not quite right.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
On May 1; 2019 63,000 + miles were deleted from my mileage account, as expired. I did not see a message warning me, although United says an email was sent. United no longer has miles that expire ever. How do I get these miles back, without buying them back or getting a United credit card and spending money? Seems to be not quite right.
You need to reach out to United. Previously you had to have some activity in your account every~18 mos to keep your miles from expiring. The new "no expiration" policy was just announced, removing the previous requirement of periodic activity. You will need to convince United that you plan to be a regular customer. Although you do not want to get a CC from United, getting one might persuade them to reinstate your miles.

You should also check your spam folder. We have an active thread from someone who did not see a hotel reservation confirmation because it went to the spam folder (and lost $600 as a no-show). Also, make absolutely sure UA has your correct email in your profile.

United contacts: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/united-airlines/
Start with emailing the first customer service person and move ot the next after one week if no/negative response. You need to convince United how great a customer you will be. Your lost miles are good for a nice RT to Hawaii.

Read this post before emailing: https://www.elliott.org/answers/how-to-fix-your-own-consumer-problem/

Dec 10, 2018
Per the current rules of United's Mileage Plus program:
  1. Any Member who fails at any time to engage in Account Activity (as defined in Rule 11 above) for a period of eighteen (18) consecutive months is subject to termination of such Member’s membership and/or forfeiture of all accrued mileage. United may, but shall have no obligation to, send a Member a notification of miles nearing expiration.
While they may say the miles don't expire, they will be forfeited after 18 months of inactivity. With no warning.

Semantics.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I am so sorry this happened. Even tho UA miles can disappear after 18 months no matter what words they use, follow Weilac's advice and ask for them back. Loyalty programs are for people who are doing business with the airline or hotel on a regular basis. Those programs rarely keep track of your miles/points, it's up to you. Airlines get hundreds, maybe thousands of requests every year to reinstate miles. Therefore, you need to stand out from the crowd with your request. If I were in your position, I'd plan a trip on United, be ready to book it, and call them to see if they are willing to give you the miles back. It's worth a try.

Jan 6, 2015
Members, please correct me if this is wrong. I have logged my understanding of this policy using the term "carryover":

Prior to the change, unused miles expired after a certain period regardless of account activity. Now, the miles will accumulate (carryover) as long as there is eligible activity every 18 months.

Jun 24, 2019
As to the new program:

Have you heard? Miles never expire.

We're always looking for ways to enhance our MileagePlus® program. So that's why effective immediately, miles no longer expire.

We hope this change makes it even easier for you to make the most out of your MileagePlus experience​

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
United’s new mileage program is not much different than before. Miles don’t expire as long as you have activity on the account. It’s not what you think.

When was the last time you had activity on your account?
Members, please correct me if this is wrong. I have logged my understanding of this policy using the term "carryover":

Prior to the change, unused miles expired after a certain period regardless of account activity. Now, the miles will accumulate (carryover) as long as there is eligible activity every 18 months.
That is correct. There still needs to be activity. The advertising they are doing is a little deceitful.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
As to the new program:

Have you heard? Miles never expire.

We're always looking for ways to enhance our MileagePlus® program. So that's why effective immediately, miles no longer expire.

We hope this change makes it even easier for you to make the most out of your MileagePlus experience
Read the terms and conditions. It states there has to be activity within 18 months.

Feb 3, 2019
Per the current rules of United's Mileage Plus program
Interestingly, the copyright date on the MileagePlus Program Rules page says 2018.

It's possible United hasn't updated the page yet to match the August 28 announcement that miles won't expire anymore. I'm not saying that oversight makes any sense or is a good business move - just that it's a possibility.

That inconsistency in paragraph 28 of the rules as currently published online is definitely problematic, and probably worth clarifying directly with United for those who are concerned.

Patina

Verified Member
Dec 22, 2015
I am so sorry this happened. Even tho UA miles can disappear after 18 months no matter what words they use, follow Weilac's advice and ask for them back. Loyalty programs are for people who are doing business with the airline or hotel on a regular basis. Those programs rarely keep track of your miles/points, it's up to you. Airlines get hundreds, maybe thousands of requests every year to reinstate miles. Therefore, you need to stand out from the crowd with your request. If I were in your position, I'd plan a trip on United, be ready to book it, and call them to see if they are willing to give you the miles back. It's worth a try.
Really great advice.....stand out from the crowd. If you have the time and inclination, follow this guy's lead (https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo-mans-witty-letter-to-american-airlines-saves-him-200/) and write a witty letter to the airline. Take full responsibility for allowing the miles to expire and beg for them to be reinstated.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
United’s new mileage program is not much different than before. Miles don’t expire as long as you have activity on the account. It’s not what you think.

When was the last time you had activity on your account?

That is correct. There still needs to be activity. The advertising they are doing is a little deceitful.
This is just like the incredible whoop-de-do for Polaris, supposedly the nth degree of first class. When they rolled it out, a LONG time ago, maybe 3 planes were reconfigured. It's been beyond slow ... people still book "Polaris" and get the ol' biz first ... some planes are still 3-4-3 in biz. The screams have been deafening. You have to wonder if Pinocchio is in charge of marketing for United.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
That’s the terms in the website unless they haven’t updated them.

But it doesn’t help the OP because the new policy want in effect at the time thus happened.

To our OP- when was the last time there was activity on your account? Did you check your spam folder for an email?

Weihlac has given you the process and the contacts in post 2- let us know if this helps.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
BTW if you get a UA credit card for $95 for the first year, you will get 40-50,000 miles as a bonus (if you qualify-read ALL of the fine print). If you do get your miles reinstated and get a CC you will have 103-113k miles, enough for a trip to Hawaii or Europe for 2 people. The CC also gives you other benefits such as a free checked bag and other things.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
That’s the terms in the website unless they haven’t updated them.

But it doesn’t help the OP because the new policy want in effect at the time thus happened.

To our OP- when was the last time there was activity on your account? Did you check your spam folder for an email?

Weihlac has given you the process and the contacts in post 2- let us know if this helps.
I think they must have forgotten to update the rules page. I have sent an e-mail to one of our contacts to see if it's a mistake.

If so, I would imagine that a nicely written e-mail to one of our contacts may get them to be more lenient with our poster.

Barry Graham

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Jan 7, 2015
I think they must have forgotten to update the rules page. I have sent an e-mail to one of our contacts to see if it's a mistake.
Here is the reply from United:

Dear Mr. Graham

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Effective August 28, 2019, miles do not expire. We will get the page updated.

Have a good evening.