Regent 7 seas Cruise line nightmare cruise.....

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 22, 2018
My husband and I recently had the very worst cruise experience on Regent 7 Seas Cruise Line. We had traveled with them before and had highly recommend them. However, this cruise was a nightmare almost from the very beginning. Most of the ports were cancelled and of course, so were the shore excursions which were factored into the overall price. Those that were still viable were mediocre as was the main speaker on the Panama Canal. He seemed to be more interested in the architecture of Central America. The entertainment also was very mediocre. One person died on the ship and another had a heart attack and, we heard that both were left in different ports in Central America.
The majority of passengers were seasick and the ship was on “red alert” for most of the voyage. My husband was so seasick that he used scopolamine (ear patches ) which we had successfully used in the past. However, this time he had a severe reaction and was hallucinating. We had purchased travel insurance through Travel Guard at an additional cost of over $2000 . The day before disembarking in New York we were presented with a bill for medical charges of $5268.25 for the ship’s doctor and treatment for several hours in the ship’s hospital. After contacting Travel Guard on our return, we were told we had to go through Medicare and our own personal medical insurance first. Our medical insurance reimbursed us…. but the insurance through Travel Guard (AIG) was a complete waste of money. The total cost of this nightmare was over $24,000. Regent has never reached out with any compensation whatsoever. This was supposed to be a very special anniversary trip and it turned into a nightmare.
We appreciate all you can do for us in getting a reimbursement for this trip.​

Jan 6, 2015
The insurance policy would have held Travel Guard responsible for your medical bills had it included Primary Medical coverage. I suggest you check the policy for that. But the remainder of your experience, while unfortunate, is unlikely to warrant compensation from Regent. Port cancellations do happen and are typcially included in their contract of carriage.

However, you can present your case to BOTH for consideration by using the Company Contacts link at the top of this page.
Before you do, be sure to read and follow the instructions at the top of the first page.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
My husband and I recently had the very worst cruise experience on Regent 7 Seas Cruise Line. We had traveled with them before and had highly recommend them. However, this cruise was a nightmare almost from the very beginning. Most of the ports were cancelled and of course, so were the shore excursions which were factored into the overall price. Those that were still viable were mediocre as was the main speaker on the Panama Canal. He seemed to be more interested in the architecture of Central America. The entertainment also was very mediocre. One person died on the ship and another had a heart attack and, we heard that both were left in different ports in Central America.​

The majority of passengers were seasick and the ship was on “red alert” for most of the voyage. My husband was so seasick that he used scopolamine (ear patches ) which we had successfully used in the past. However, this time he had a severe reaction and was hallucinating. We had purchased travel insurance through Travel Guard at an additional cost of over $2000 . The day before disembarking in New York we were presented with a bill for medical charges of $5268.25 for the ship’s doctor and treatment for several hours in the ship’s hospital. After contacting Travel Guard on our return, we were told we had to go through Medicare and our own personal medical insurance first. Our medical insurance reimbursed us…. but the insurance through Travel Guard (AIG) was a complete waste of money. The total cost of this nightmare was over $24,000. Regent has never reached out with any compensation whatsoever. This was supposed to be a very special anniversary trip and it turned into a nightmare.​

If you had any part of the medical bills that were not paid by your medical insurer- those get submitted to Travel Guard. As VoR said, unless you purchase a policy that is primary (most travel insurance is secondary) you have to submit this way. If you were traveling in another country tour medical insurance might not have paid those bills.

The policy you bought also had much more coverage than just your medical costs so it wasn’t “useless”. If you had gotten sick before the trip and couldn’t travel, if you had a death in the family and couldn’t go, if you had an emergency at home and had the leave early, if you needed to be helicoptered off the ship in a health emergency- that’s also what insurance covered.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
My husband and I recently had the very worst cruise experience on Regent 7 Seas Cruise Line. We had traveled with them before and had highly recommend them. However, this cruise was a nightmare almost from the very beginning. Most of the ports were cancelled and of course, so were the shore excursions which were factored into the overall price. Those that were still viable were mediocre as was the main speaker on the Panama Canal. He seemed to be more interested in the architecture of Central America. The entertainment also was very mediocre. One person died on the ship and another had a heart attack and, we heard that both were left in different ports in Central America.​

The majority of passengers were seasick and the ship was on “red alert” for most of the voyage. My husband was so seasick that he used scopolamine (ear patches ) which we had successfully used in the past. However, this time he had a severe reaction and was hallucinating. We had purchased travel insurance through Travel Guard at an additional cost of over $2000 . The day before disembarking in New York we were presented with a bill for medical charges of $5268.25 for the ship’s doctor and treatment for several hours in the ship’s hospital. After contacting Travel Guard on our return, we were told we had to go through Medicare and our own personal medical insurance first. Our medical insurance reimbursed us…. but the insurance through Travel Guard (AIG) was a complete waste of money. The total cost of this nightmare was over $24,000. Regent has never reached out with any compensation whatsoever. This was supposed to be a very special anniversary trip and it turned into a nightmare.​

It does sound like a nightmare trip. I don't quite see how the Cruise Line was responsible, so I have some questions. Why were the ports cancelled and what replaced them? What actions do you think would be appropriate for a dead body? Reporting what you "heard" about this without any substantiation will not result in much action on Regent's part. Were rough seas responsible for people being seasick? How many days did that last? What percentage of passengers were too sick to enjoy the entire cruise? Did the insurance policy not explain how it works in the case of being hospitalized onboard? That is always super-expensive, and your health insurance would come to play here. Did you inquire of the ship's medical staff about the costs and how they are handled by the cruise line? It's standard for trip insurance people to have you submit claims to your personal insurance; then you are reimbursed for whatever your usual insurance didn't cover. It's unfortunate that you didn't enjoy any of the cruise's entertainment or excursions. How many days was the cruise? How many days were you unable to participate because your husband was so ill? When it comes to travel, details are vitally important. We may be able to assist you if we know exactly what happened.

Feb 22, 2018
No new ports replaced the cancelled ones as was done on previous cruises. This was an 18 day cruise with the ship on "red alert" for most of the voyage and my husband spent 14 days seasick. In Cabo, the shops were all closed on the art district shore excursion. In Costa Rica, the train broke down and was cancelled from the mangrove tour. We spent 5 days not-stop from Columbia to New York midst very high seas. We experienced rough seas most of the entire trip, with the exception of the canal itself which was very calm and beautiful. We were presented with the bill for the additional medical charges the night before disembarking with no time to question any of the charges. We think Regent should have offered a refund or at least 50% discount on a future cruise. We have enjoyed many previous cruises and never have had such a horrific experience as we did on this Regent cruise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
No credit for any aborted ports or cancelled shore excursions as all are included in the total price of the cruise.
I understand that but you are usually credited with the fees you paid in your cruise fare when the ports are skipped. You might want to contact them and ask for a credit for those for the missed ports.

Feb 25, 2018
I can't address the $$ refund problem but I may be able to tell you why the cruise was so rough. Was the name of the ship the SEVEN SEAS NAVIGATOR. If so, that ship has a hull of a Russian ice breaker. I'm not kidding!! The cruise line bought a Russian ice breaker, gutted it, and installed the cruise ship into that hull. The hull is shaped in a more rounded design so it rocks more than a new cruise liner hull. It was also told to me that the top 1 or 2 decks had to be made out of aluminum, otherwise it would be too top heavy. My wife and I took the Panama cruise April 13, 2012 thru May 1st 2012. We experienced the same rough cruising, even though most of it as in the Caribbean. We swore never to go on that ship again. And we haven't. By the way, we went on a tour that was supposed to be an Eco-bird watching tour in Huatulco Mexico. The tour bus dropped us off along a 4 lane highway on one side and a golf course on the other. We stood on the sidewalk and peered across the highway up into a hill of trees trying to spot birds, and birds, anything with feathers. So much for the forest and the birds.

Chris

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
What interesting information this is! Who would think that all those retrofit details would make for such an uncomfortable cruise? I'm sorry for laughing, Chris, but I can just SEE your group standing in the hot sun with the lorries roaring by peering into the trees. I do hope you got a refund for that excursion!

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Navigator happens to be my favorite Regent ship! I have spent about 75 days on Regent and about 30 on this ship. She is lovely and intimate. I guess each cruiser has their own expectations and this ship for us exceeded them.
I believe the OP likely was cruising during Hurricane Season which is always a crap shoot.