refused refund on Airbnb prepay

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Dec 10, 2018
I reserved a listing on Airbnb in early October for a conference in March. I’d made it in advance since it’s a big professional conference that tends to get booked out early. I’d assumed incorrectly that I would be able to find enough people to fill it, and when I hadn't had any bites come December I canceled the reservation.

I’d taken the prepay option where you pay only half in advance. (I paid $318). The listing says that there is a free cancelation.
A week goes by, and I’ve got some bites. I message [REDACTED] asking if I can reserve again. He sends me a link to a discounted rate. I message him back and mention I need to wait for the refund to pay for it.
Radio silence. No mention of the fact that according to his cancellation policy, I’m not getting a penny back.
14 days later, I call Airbnb, concerned that I haven’t received the refund. They don’t tell me about his policy, just say I should request the money allowed through the resolution center ($234).
[REDACTED] turns me down. “cancellation policy”.

I’m a college student. I had $46.83 to my name when he sent it. My mom gets 30 minutes with a lawyer as part of her union, and she’s hopping mad.

I don’t want to spend winter break fighting a losing battle in small claims, but I don’t want this [REDACTED] taking my money without doing anything for me.

Help?

listing as of now
Screen Shot 2018-12-10 at 12.31.38 PM.png
cancellation policy
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CwcjiH29fz6P6E56Rnh1WoOkpxLDBme9iA5cDqDusdE/edit?usp=sharing

Dec 10, 2018
You booked a room on that allowed you to cancel within 48 hours of booking the room. If you didn’t cancel within that time frame it doesn’t matter how you paid- the reservation is non refundable. The cancellation policy you referenced is clear.
thank you. I'll message him one last time to see if I can get pitty money, and hope I get cash this Christmas.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Were you staying at this reservation or were you hoping to make money on it by charging other people to stay in it? It doesn’t sound like you would be in the room by what you wrote.

And NEVER EVER pay for an Airbnb outside of Airbnb. That’s how you get ripped off because there is no help from Airbnb when you don’t pay through them.

Sep 19, 2015
Um what were you planning on doing subleasing out parts of the air bnb one bedroom? Trying to make a profit from this?

I do not think anyone listing on air bnb wants the renter to start bringing random people in.

The rules are clear — 48 hour grace period to cancel as long as booking more than 2 weeks in advance. Show your mother the terms and that should help her understand what you agreed to, and no lawyer will be able to get you out of this.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Um what were you planning on doing subleasing out parts of the air bnb one bedroom? Trying to make a profit from this?

I do not think anyone listing on air bnb wants the renter to start bringing random people in.

The rules are clear — 48 hour grace period to cancel as long as booking more than 2 weeks in advance. Show your mother the terms and that should help her understand what you agreed to, and no lawyer will be able to get you out of this.
Besides the fact that you have to indicate how many people are going to be in the apartment at the time you book it.