Refused credit on Southwest for inability to cancel flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 3, 2019
The best that Holland America was willing to do was offer a free upgrade. I take that to mean that we maybe we can go up a deck if we book another balcony cabin. I don't plan to book another cruise with them anytime soon.

Sep 19, 2015
The best that Holland America was willing to do was offer a free upgrade. I take that to mean that we maybe we can go up a deck if we book another balcony cabin. I don't plan to book another cruise with them anytime soon.
I am not a cruise person or a Southwest person -- but in one way I can understand that the cruise ship was stuck with the weather and it was not safe to or allowed to proceed into the port. The satellite was overwhelmed -- when there have been disasters in my region and the cell towers have been overwhelmed I have understood the limitations. I do remember on landlines getting recording "all circuits are busy" during holidays and time of disasters.

Southwest with their acclaimed customer service has not been that understanding -- has there not been anything similar during major weather issues such as hurricanes and people could not contact the airline?

I am just surprised that the airline is taking such a hard line with this.

Aug 29, 2018
I Might consider writing (politely) to Southwest, explaining what happened and asking if they can help. Airlines used to have a flat tire rule, under which this might apply.

Sep 20, 2018
SW didn't cause the issue of you being unable to contact them. (It'd be a different story if SW's phone lines were swamped or if SW's computers were down.) They had a seat ready and waiting for you, and you weren't there to sit in it, and they had no idea you were going to be a no-show.

And if the weather means the ship can't dock because of the weather, the ship can't dock. It's no more the cruise line's fault than it is an airline's fault if a blizzard closes your destination airport. And HAL isn't responsible for your flight any more than any other transportation method is liable for whatever it is you planned to do once you arrived at your destination.

Just because something isn't your fault doesn't make it somebody else's.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Tina, SirWired is giving you some tough love. Travelers should not expect someone else to be financially liable for things that happen during their travels. Ice storms, dense fog, heavy seas ... the cruise line did what they could to eventually dock the ship. They're not responsible for docking late. The airline is not responsible for you missing your flight. Anyone who travels has experience with these kinds of issues. Sometimes you just have to shrug and walk away.