Refusal for a alternate cruise date

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hard to imagine they would not have offered as its a nice profite center and an easy sell. My TA sends a seperate statement saying the TI is important and make you acknowledge in writing that you are turning it down and you understand the risk you are taking.

I just completed the purchase of TI with the Tripinsurancestore this morning for a cruise. I made my deposit 12 days ago.
Thats my point. I find it hard to believe myself but if it happened, they can be sued.

However-I just did a mock booking in CruCon and it did not recommend or offer insurance.

If the writer was not offered or told about insurance (we'd need to see his confirmation) he can try to sue them. John, please come back and tell us if you were offered insurance,

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
@Neil I know you are the expert but I'm not buying it. They provide travel and I can't see any legal obligation to sell or advise.

But I'm not a lawyer I just like watching Perry Mason ;)

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
@Neil I know you are the expert but I'm not buying it. They provide travel and I can't see any legal obligation to sell or advise.

But I'm not a lawyer I just like watching Perry Mason ;)
I would agree with you if I didn't know better. We require every client to sign a waiver of the refuse travel insurance because our lawyer requires us to get it. He's told us we can be sued for not offering it. So that's what I am basing my remarks on.

Aug 28, 2015
New York
I would agree with you if I didn't know better. We require every client to sign a waiver of the refuse travel insurance because our lawyer requires us to get it. He's told us we can be sued for not offering it. So that's what I am basing my remarks on.
It is weird that they don't offer insurance at the checkout point. That's a major revenue stream. They aren't required to but when I book a $100 trip to Florida, the airline requires I opt out of insurance in 2 places. Did the LW say which bank issues the AARP card used?

May 9, 2016
Well RCCL finally responded to my appeal for some concession to our missed cruise due to a medical emergency last Jan. They have offered a 25% letter of credit for a future cruise, giving us 12 months to book on RCCL. I was hoping for a bit more, but a 25% credit certainly beats nothing , & I'm pleased they gave us a full 12 months instead of only 6 months.
They will benefit greatly by making the concession, as my group (which now numbers 25) will consider future cruises on RCCL, had they not made any concession at all, we would have only considered NCL, Carnival, & Holland American for our cruising at 12-18 month intervals.
I really appreciate all the comments & advice I received on the forum, I definitely will take TI in the future & I'm glad to know about Squaremouth where I can shop with many TI providers. Also, we will always charge to a credit card that offers some level of travel protection. Thanks to all for your guidance.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Good news. This is why we never say never but try to prepare you that you may get something just not everything you might want as the cruise line has no obligation to do anything. Glad it worked out for you.

BTW, if you have a group of 25, I hope you are using a travel agent to book your cruise because you can get group amenities for that many people.

May 9, 2016
When I booked the cruise with CruCon, they did ask if I wanted TI, I said, "I don't really feel its necessary", & that was the end of that conversation. Since I joined the forum, I now understand that TI is advisable, but I've also heard that many, if not most, travel agents strongly recommend TI to their clients, & some even require a signed waiver if its not purchased. CruCon didn't emphasize at all the importance of having TI. I'd say they were remiss in not pursuing it, of course, I too was remiss in not purchasing TI.
Maybe I could pursue legal action, but I think I'll accept the 25% letter of credit offered by RCCL & feel somewhat vindicated with a "small" victory.
Finally, as our group has grown from 10 to 25 people, we'll take your advice & use a travel agent in hopes of getting some perks when we book our next cruise.

Jan 8, 2015
John, I've never purchased travel insurance for anything, because I really never thought that I would be using it. Plus most of my travel has always had some type of cancellation available or the amount I would have lost was less than $300. But since being a part of the forum for a while I've come to the realization that we are ALL at risk at any given time of having something go wrong and losing out on whatever it was we had planned on. Therefore I now look at insurance very seriously and recommend it to anyone who will listen.

When asking yourself if you need to purchase insurance, word it this way; Am I ok with losing $xx and walking away if needed? If the answer is no, then by all means protect your interests.

As always, we generally recommend third party insurance and not the insurance sold directly by an airline, cruiseline, etc. Those policies benefit the company more than they do you, while third party insurance has more benefit to the traveller.

The 25% is more than they needed to give you and I suspect the fact that your case was due to a personal medical emergency AND you had a group they figured they would make their money back easily. Good luck and hope you have fun on the future cruise.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If they offered it and you declined it then they did all they are required to do. As an agent I can't force insurance on you. I can educate you what it does but if you refuse it, you are on your own. But we are agents that have clients sign off on a waiver if they don't want it so we are legally protected if a client comes back later and said we didn't offer it.

Crucon doesn't take time to educate you because they are simply order takers. You admit they asked and you said no so you can't blame them for not going any further.

Always remember this when considering insurance- if you can't afford to lose everything you've paid for your trip if you can't go and if you can't afford to pay for a hospital bill in a foreign country if you have a major medical condition happen, you need insurance. If you can afford that, you don't. And that goes for an airline ticket by itself too. You determine what you are willing to lose if something happens.

We had a client with over $100,000 in medical and emergency evacuation bills after suffering a heart attack on a cruise ship. Had he not had travel insurance, we would have been in major financial trouble. That's one of the unexpected things that can happen.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
When I booked the cruise with CruCon, they did ask if I wanted TI, I said, "I don't really feel its necessary", & that was the end of that conversation. Since I joined the forum, I now understand that TI is advisable, but I've also heard that many, if not most, travel agents strongly recommend TI to their clients, & some even require a signed waiver if its not purchased. CruCon didn't emphasize at all the importance of having TI. I'd say they were remiss in not pursuing it, of course, I too was remiss in not purchasing TI.
Maybe I could pursue legal action, but I think I'll accept the 25% letter of credit offered by RCCL & feel somewhat vindicated with a "small" victory.
Finally, as our group has grown from 10 to 25 people, we'll take your advice & use a travel agent in hopes of getting some perks when we book our next cruise.
CruCon is an online agent, right? They don't give much customer service and I'm sure they don't care if you purchase insurance or not. You will be amazed at how wonderful working with a real live agent who specializes in cruises will be for your group. Not only the extra goodies, but making sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed for all of you.

Then there's the subject of Emergency Evacuation Insurance. Like Mike Z, I now preach the importance of evacuation insurance to everyone who will listen. If you want to read the story behind this, have a look at our insurance forums. I posted last September, "Think you don't need travel insurance?" is the headline I believe.

Last edited: