REFUND

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jun 7, 2021
In Feb 2020 we booked an Alaskan cruise for June 29, 2020. We paid $6190.26. In March everything changed when the pandemic struck. Our governor issued a stay at home order and the CDC issued a do not cruise advisory. On March 30, 2020, I called and cancelled our cruise. The agent had no empathy for our fears, never suggested for us to be patient and informed us that we would be refunded 75% of our money OR be issued a 100% future cruise credit. Regrettably I accepted the credit. Shortly after, ALL cruises were suspended. I applied for a refund but was denied. (cruise credits were then offered at 125%) One agent suggested I file a claim with the trip insurance co. Even though both my primary care and cardiologist stated that I should not cruise, the insurance co. denied me. (My wife and I are both in our 70's with health issues.) I have contacted two of the Norwegian executives along with numerous emails to their guest relations site. The latest was when refunds were offered to those that had cancelled and then were suspended from another cruise. My wife and I had watched NCL site all of last year and each time we considered rebooking the suspensions kept occurring. Currently NCL will issue refunds 60 days prior to boarding. We had cancelled 90 days prior! At this point we are done with cruising. I only want NCL to refund our monies and cancel our credits. At this point, NCL is the only company to not refund us. United Airlines, Alaskan tour & travel, Inlet hotel & suites, Air Canada and even AIG have ALL refunded our monies. Why??

Jun 7, 2021
I agree that I cancelled. This being my first cruise, I thought I was doing the right thing. I certainly didn't request the credit but I also didn't want to forfeit 25% of my money. I made a mistake and hope that NCL will make it right. I wish I had written the agents name down since other agents I've spoken with have said that he should have told me to wait. Whatever, NCL has had my $6200.00 for over a year and I'm stuck with a couple cruise credits that are basically useless.

Comicman

Jul 13, 2020
the insurance co. denied me.
Unfortunately you would not be able to get anything from the insurance as you received a credit. If they gave you money you would have been paid twice. you might want to ask your insurance if you were unable to use this credit and it expires unused will they pay you? They just might.

I made a mistake and hope that NCL will make it right

NCL did make it right. They offered you what you agreed to in their terms if you canceled. Remember that even if the next day the lines canceled and were giving total credits you would still not be owed a full refund.
Had you listened to your agent and waited , you would have been due a full refund. You did not so you took a credit.
It has been almost impossible to convert travel credits into cash refunds.
You did not know the credits would not be useable by now, nor did the company.
You can always write and ask for an exception. This is a get on your knees and beg kind of thing.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I agree that I cancelled. This being my first cruise, I thought I was doing the right thing. I certainly didn't request the credit but I also didn't want to forfeit 25% of my money. I made a mistake and hope that NCL will make it right. I wish I had written the agents name down since other agents I've spoken with have said that he should have told me to wait. Whatever, NCL has had my $6200.00 for over a year and I'm stuck with a couple cruise credits that are basically useless.
You also need to recognize that the cruise lines have generated no income for the last 15 months and still have major ongoing expenses to maintain and staff their ships. The cruise lines have no cash flow to offer refunds, especially to those who have accepted future cruise credits.

If the cruise lines can successfully restart their cruise business as they are planning to do soon, your cruise credits are not useless. If the cruise lines restart cruising and have even one major covid-19 outbreak, then all bets are off.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It is not the job of the reps to tell you to wait. They do what you tell them to do. And at the point you canceled, the cruise line’s didn’t know what was going to happen do the reps. couldn’t have told you to wait. A real travel agent would most likely have told you to wait.

Reactions: travpro
Jun 7, 2021
Another mistake on my part. We booked ourselves, online. I keep hearing the old saying, "Ain't no fool like and OLD fool!" I had a bit of hope when NCL updated their refund policy to include those of us that did cancel and then rebooked another suspended cruise. We had watched all last year but each time we considered rebooking, the suspensions kept continuing. Yet another mistake. I certainly hope that NCL and the other cruise companies make it through and this pandemic is put to rest.

Reactions: jsn55

Alexander Pahany

Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Jan 6, 2021
Houston, TX
Another mistake on my part. We booked ourselves, online. I keep hearing the old saying, "Ain't no fool like and OLD fool!" I had a bit of hope when NCL updated their refund policy to include those of us that did cancel and then rebooked another suspended cruise. We had watched all last year but each time we considered rebooking, the suspensions kept continuing. Yet another mistake. I certainly hope that NCL and the other cruise companies make it through and this pandemic is put to rest.
Our usual recommended course of action is to contact the executives we have listed on the site and ask for a goodwill gesture—that is, a change to their policy. From your original message, it sounds like you’ve already done that without success.

I don’t think your actions were foolish; I think you were trying to navigate a situation that nobody understood the best way you knew how. I don’t cruise, but I can guarantee you that if they canceled my trip back in March 2020 and offered me a 125% credit, I would’ve jumped on it!

Cruises are starting up again…maybe you can wait a bit and see how they go and reassess your ability to take one in the future. I know you said you’re done with cruising, but after a little time passes and things (hopefully) get back to normal, perhaps you’ll change your mind. I hope it works out for you.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Warren, it's just not us mature folks that are taken in by the ease of spending our money on the internet! Especially in the US, we are used to a level of integrity when it comes to commerce. That's a thing of the past, and an awful lot of people haven't accepted that yet. And don't say you won't cruise again. You'll take a nice $6K cruise at some point. That's what we're all faced with ... the silver-backed gorilla version of making lemonade when life gives you lemons. It will taste sweet when we're out there on the high seas again.