Refund on non-refundable ticket - no luck with travel agent

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jul 11, 2018
Hi,

I have a reservation from MAD to SFO departing on 2nd August and returning on 16th August with Lufthansa, booked through TravelGenio. I can no longer take this trip. I understand that this is a non-refundable ticket, but I cannot afford to lose over €1,400. I am becoming very stressed about this because of the amount of money in question. I would greatly appreciate it if, on this occasion, Lufthansa could cancel and refund the cost of the ticket as a gesture of goodwill. I have flown with Lufthansa before and have never cancelled or no-showed. I have tried phoning them directly but I am forever on hold. TravelGenio say they cannot do anything because it is a non-refundable ticket.

What can I do?

Many thanks!

Mar 17, 2015
Did you purchase travel insurance? Does the credit card you booked your flight with have travel insurance? You can attempt writing to the execs, one at a time, waiting a week in between each. However, you did purchase a non-refundable tix and most airlines will only either issue a credit minus a change fee or just refund the taxes. One other thing, if your flight time have changed significantly since booking, you may be able to cancel.

Jul 11, 2018
Unfortunately, no, I did not, so I think it is going to be a lost cause :(.
I can hope the flight times change, so I can cancel it.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Non-refundable is "non-refundable" . You may be able to cancel and receive partial credit for a future flight. If you choose to make non-refundable reservations without insurance for cancellation (you might have some coverage through the credit card you used) it is unlikely that you will receive a refund. Non-refundable airfares are much less expensive than fully refundable fares, but they come with a severe restriction - no refunds. You can write to Lufthansa and request special consideration and see if they are responsive.

Jul 11, 2018
Hi Neil,

Yes, I know and normally I wouldn't ask for a refund on such a ticket.

Lufthansa have told me the ticket was actually issued through United, so I have contacted them.

Thanks for the link.

Sep 19, 2015
so is this a code share? The first flight would be LH but then is it a UA flight to SFO?
If the ticket number starts with 006 it is a UA ticket.

Is there a compelling reason why the trip can not be taken?

Let me ask you this— why should the airline do a goodwill gesture for you and not for others? Or why should also people pay more and you have the same benefits? I am not asking to be difficult; this is what the person reading your request will think.

there May be a time change or a strike by French Air Traffic Control.

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi Neil,

Lufthansa have told me the ticket was actually issued through United, so I have contacted them.

Thanks for the link.
Ask for credit for a future flight-if you get it, it will probably only be good for travel one year from the date of the original ticketing so be careful that you do not lose any credit they may offer

Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
so is this a code share? The first flight would be LH but then is it a UA flight to SFO?
If the ticket number starts with 006 it is a UA ticket.

Is there a compelling reason why the trip can not be taken?

Let me ask you this— why should the airline do a goodwill gesture for you and not for others? Or why should also people pay more and you have the same benefits? I am not asking to be difficult; this is what the person reading your request will think.

there May be a time change or a strike by French Air Traffic Control.
"If the ticket number starts with 006 it is a UA ticket."

THIS IS NOT CORRECT!

UA tickets begin with 016

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the link.
But you are asking for a refund. The best you will be able to get is a credit for a future flight less their cancellation fee. Contact United and ask for a credit for a future trip. If you read the link I sent you - that is what we tell you to try.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
I'm so sorry this has happened. Alas, my colleagues are correct, but you can ask for a credit towards a future flight. You booked through an online booking service, always a mistake ... the airlines may or may not deal with you directly. Next time, book direct with the airline or hotel. I wish we could be more help.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Hi Higgins91, of course we can help you with the booking cancellation. Please send us a mail to customer.service@travelgenio.com with your booking reference and telling us if you want to cancel all the booking or just a part and we will inform you about the rate conditions for your request. Regards
Which means it may not be at no charge. There will most likely be fees.