Refund on international flight to Japan

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Jan 24, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have a big problem with flights I purchased this year. I recently got married, and we set our honeymoon destination on Japan. We bought two round trip non-refundable tickets to Japan departing on March 31, 2019. My wife and I are also in the process of buying a home to live in, so saving as much money as we can is of the utmost importance. After looking at our finances, we cannot afford to go on our honeymoon and buy a house without running out of money and ending up on the streets <- this is a possibility. We have decided to cancel our honeymoon, and focus on buying a home. Since our tickets are non-refundable, the United app gives us the option to cancel the ticket (without a refund), but no option to get a refund. We really need the money we used to buy the tickets to put toward the house and living expenses. I have not tried contacting the airline or credit card company because I do not know where to start. I don't believe my credit card, CapitalOne Visa Signature, has ticket insurance or anything. I am nervous waiting for something to happen to my trip that would qualify me for a refund. Personally, I don't think anything will happen that would allow me to refund my ticket. All I know is I really do need a refund, and I do not have the option to simply cancel the tickets without a refund. Please help!

Thank you,

Sep 19, 2015
Hi Guys,

I have a big problem with flights I purchased this year. I recently got married, and we set our honeymoon destination on Japan. We bought two round trip non-refundable tickets to Japan departing on March 31, 2019. My wife and I are also in the process of buying a home to live in, so saving as much money as we can is of the utmost importance. After looking at our finances, we cannot afford to go on our honeymoon and buy a house without running out of money and ending up on the streets <- this is a possibility. We have decided to cancel our honeymoon, and focus on buying a home. Since our tickets are non-refundable, the United app gives us the option to cancel the ticket (without a refund), but no option to get a refund. We really need the money we used to buy the tickets to put toward the house and living expenses. I have not tried contacting the airline or credit card company because I do not know where to start. I don't believe my credit card, CapitalOne Visa Signature, has ticket insurance or anything. I am nervous waiting for something to happen to my trip that would qualify me for a refund. Personally, I don't think anything will happen that would allow me to refund my ticket. All I know is I really do need a refund, and I do not have the option to simply cancel the tickets without a refund. Please help!

Thank you,
If the tickets are non refundable it means just that -- non refundable. Most travel insurance cover things like airline bankruptcy, or the traveler being sick -- but saving for a house is not a covered reason unless one bought cancel for any reason insurance.

Can you wait and see if there is a schedule change -- it is not that likely but not impossible.

But the bottom line is that the airline has zero obligation to refund the money.

Jan 24, 2019
If the tickets are non refundable it means just that -- non refundable. Most travel insurance cover things like airline bankruptcy, or the traveler being sick -- but saving for a house is not a covered reason unless one bought cancel for any reason insurance.

Can you wait and see if there is a schedule change -- it is not that likely but not impossible.

But the bottom line is that the airline has zero obligation to refund the money.
I was afraid of this. I do have some time to wait and see if there is a significant schedule change. This may be my best course of action. I just wonder if I should try calling United.

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
Hi Guys,

Thank you,
You may (depending on the ticket class you bought) be able to cancel the tickets and receive a $$ credit for future use. If your tickets are non-refundable, there is essentially no chance that you will receive a cash refund. Non-refundable tickets are much less expensive than refundable tickets. That is why people buy them. However, you should not expect a refund when you chose a non-refundable fare.

Jan 24, 2019
You may (depending on the ticket class you bought) be able to cancel the tickets and receive a $$ credit for future use. If your tickets are non-refundable, there is essentially no chance that you will receive a cash refund. Non-refundable tickets are much less expensive than refundable tickets. That is why people buy them. However, you should not expect a refund when you chose a non-refundable fare.
Another dead end. I bought regular economy class tickets, so I don't think they will be doing me any favors for these tickets.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
If you bought nonrefundable tickets you won’t get a refund. The best they will do is give you a credit, less a cancellation fee, to use within a year from the date you bought the tickets.

The only way to even get a partial refund is if you had bought cancel for any reason insurance but you wouldn’t get 100% back even if you had.

Your cancellation reason wouldn’t be covered by any insurance other than CFAR.

Jan 24, 2019
If you bought nonrefundable tickets you won’t get a refund. The best they will do is give you a credit, less a cancellation fee, to use within a year from the date you bought the tickets.

The only way to even get a partial refund is if you had bought cancel for any reason insurance but you wouldn’t get 100% back even if you had.

Your cancellation reason wouldn’t be covered by any insurance other than CFAR.
Thanks for the input. I guess there is nothing further to lose. I will try calling United.