Refund from the airline cancellation of the flight

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Aug 23, 2019
I booked a trip through online company “kiwi.com” (booking # xxxxxxx flight from Shanghai to Dubrovnik on August 10, Dubrovnik to Boston on August 18; booking# 6xxxxxxx). (1) The flight from Shanghai to Dubrovnik on August was cancelled by the airline due to the severe weather. As suggested by the airline “AEROFLOT”, I called the booking “Kiwi.com” company and talked to the custom service and followed their refund procedure and file the request for refund ($692 +$873). Yesterday, I finally received an email that the airline only refund ~$10 because this ticket was “non-refundable” ticket. Kiwi.com custom service refused to do anything to help the refund. (2) When I cancelled the flight on August 10, I specifically requested to cancel the ENTIRE trip since my entire vacation trip to Croatia was uncertain. On August 17, I received the notice that the flight was ready for departure and I realized that the returning trip (booking# xxxxxxxx) was not cancelled. I immediately called and requested the cancellation and refund. I desperately need your help to get refund for the entire trip from the airline and the kiwi.com. Thanks.

Edited by a moderator to remove locator number.

Last edited by a moderator:

weihlac

Verified Member
Jun 30, 2017
Maui Hawaii
I booked a trip through online company “kiwi.com” (booking # xxxxxxxx flight from Shanghai to Dubrovnik on August 10, Dubrovnik to Boston on August 18; booking# xxxxxxxx). (1) The flight from Shanghai to Dubrovnik on August was cancelled by the airline due to the severe weather. As suggested by the airline “AEROFLOT”, I called the booking “Kiwi.com” company and talked to the custom service and followed their refund procedure and file the request for refund ($692 +$873). Yesterday, I finally received an email that the airline only refund ~$10 because this ticket was “non-refundable” ticket. Kiwi.com custom service refused to do anything to help the refund. (2) When I cancelled the flight on August 10, I specifically requested to cancel the ENTIRE trip since my entire vacation trip to Croatia was uncertain. On August 17, I received the notice that the flight was ready for departure and I realized that the returning trip (booking# xxxxxxxx) was not cancelled. I immediately called and requested the cancellation and refund. I desperately need your help to get refund for the entire trip from the airline and the kiwi.com. Thanks.
It appears that your first flight was canceled and you are owed a full refund on that flight. It also appears that your subsequent scheduled flights were on separate tickets not connected to your canceled flight. If the second series of flights were on non-refundable tickets you are NOT due any refund on these flights.
Unless your entire itinerary was on a single reservation (which it appears not to be), the second flight series has no connection to your first canceled flight and, if non-refundable, will not be refunded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 6, 2015
Typically, when an airline cancels a flight they will arrange for an alternate flight.
  • Did they not offer any alternative flights?
  • When they referred you to KIWI, did they (Aeroflot) explicitly tell you to cancel?
  • Unless weather causes cancellation of all flights over multiple days, it is not usually a covered reason for a refund of a non-refundable ticket. Was it just this flight that was cancelled?
Airlines try to keep schedules, but they are not guaranteed. Most will try to get you to your destination . . .

Sep 19, 2015
Kiwi is known for booking separate tickets and presenting that as an itinerary. The separate tickets have separate rules and there is no trip in vain --

Aeroflot does not fly directly from Shanghai to Dubrovnik. There must have been a stop, likely in Moscow.

What was the exact itinerary and dates?

Nov 20, 2015
I think the Kiwi.com guarantee may not apply because the cancellation was due to weather. Otherwise, you could have received a refund for all of your flights.

1. Limitation of the Kiwi.com Guarantee – Force Majeure. Please be informed that the Kiwi.com Guarantee does not apply to cases of Flight delays, change or cancellation caused by extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided even if all reasonable measures had been taken. Such circumstances may, in particular, occur in cases of political instability, meteorological conditions incompatible with the operation of the flight concerned, security risks, unexpected transport safety shortcomings and strikes that affect the operation of an operating air carrier, significant limitation of airport(s) and/or train station operation, as well as bankruptcy, insolvency or termination of 50% or more of all flights of the Selected Carrier or any other effect which significantly limits or disables the Selected or operating Carrier to provide its services (hereinafter referred as “Force Majeure”). Please note that in these cases We will make Our best effort to offer You an alternative Flight(s) and or other alternative transportation for You in order to eliminate inconveniences that You may incur in relation to this matter. However, We have no obligation to provide You with the Kiwi.com Guarantee or otherwise cover the expenses for the alternative Flight(s) and/or other mean of Transportation for the Flight(s) affected by the effects of Force Majeure as well as other connecting Flight(s), which You were not able to use due to the effect of Force Majeure.

Aug 23, 2019
Typically, when an airline cancels a flight they will arrange for an alternate flight.
  • Did they not offer any alternative flights?
  • When they referred you to KIWI, did they (Aeroflot) explicitly tell you to cancel?
  • Unless weather causes cancellation of all flights over multiple days, it is not usually a covered reason for a refund of a non-refundable ticket. Was it just this flight that was cancelled?
Airlines try to keep schedules, but they are not guaranteed. Most will try to get you to your destination . . .
For two days (August 10 and August 11), all (98%) flights were cancelled in Shanghai. Aeroflot service people at the airport specifically suggested to look for alternative flight. On August 12, we also got the note from Aeroflot that there are only a few seats available between August 14-18. They also suggested to look for alternative flights.

Jan 6, 2015
For two days (August 10 and August 11), all (98%) flights were cancelled in Shanghai. Aeroflot service people at the airport specifically suggested to look for alternative flight. On August 12, we also got the note from Aeroflot that there are only a few seats available between August 14-18. They also suggested to look for alternative flights.
Since they recommended finding alternative flights and you chose to cancel, cancelling was your choice and compensation is not warranted.

Aug 23, 2019
Since they recommended finding alternative flights and you chose to cancel, cancelling was your choice and compensation is not warranted.
Maybe I did not express this clearly----they specifically suggested to cancel Aeroflot flight (since they can not accommodate it) and look for alternative flight. I follow their suggestion and also I need to be at Croatia before August 14.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Maybe I did not express this clearly----they specifically suggested to cancel Aeroflot flight (since they can not accommodate it) and look for alternative flight. I follow their suggestion and also I need to be at Croatia before August 14.
I am confused- whatever airline canceled your flight owes you the money you paid for your ticket.

Suggesting and requiring are two different issues. What flight and what airline canceled your flight?

Aug 23, 2019
I am confused- whatever airline canceled your flight owes you the money you paid for your ticket.

Suggesting and requiring are two different issues. What flight and what airline canceled your flight?
1)Aeroflot cancelled the flight due to the weather condition; (2) Aeroflot offered: a) possible alternative flight (August 14-18) or b) if this was not acceptable, they suggested to cancel the ticket and book the flight by yourself. I did that (i.e. cancelled the ticket and booked the different flight).

Jan 6, 2015
It seems that YOU chose to cancel when Aeroflot could not provide an alternate flight that met your timeline. That does not obligate them in any way.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
It seems that YOU chose to cancel when Aeroflot could not provide an alternate flight that met your timeline. That does not obligate them in any way.
I disagree.

If Aeroflot canceled the flight, they owe him a refund if they did not want one of the other flights offered.

Kiwi needs to get you a refund. This should be automatic, not something that needs to be applied for.

Jan 6, 2015
I disagree.

If Aeroflot canceled the flight, they owe him a refund if they did not want one of the other flights offered.

Kiwi needs to get you a refund. This should be automatic, not something that needs to be applied for.
I do not understand, Neil. It has been a staple of this forum that when a carrier cancels a flight due to weather and the passenger rejects the carrier's alternatives, then the passenger is on his/her own. The carrier's offer meets their CoC requirements. What am I missing?

Apr 10, 2017
I do not understand, Neil. It has been a staple of this forum that when a carrier cancels a flight due to weather and the passenger rejects the carrier's alternatives, then the passenger is on his/her own. The carrier's offer meets their CoC requirements. What am I missing?
The passenger is on his/her own to pay for the different airline ticket booked on their own. However, they would be entitled to a refund of the original ticket that didn't work.

Apr 10, 2017
Then this is wrong?

https://www.flightright.com/your-rights/bad-weather

"Adverse weather conditions: Aircraft must often remain on the ground or take off later when extreme weather occurs. Adverse weather conditions such as snow, storm, freezing rain or fog exempt airlines from paying compensation."
I take "compensation" in this case to be anything above and beyond, such as meal vouchers, hotel accommodation, etc. A passenger would still be entitled to a refund of the ticket price if they chose. That's all the airline is obligated to do. It would be up to that passenger to pay for anything else.

Jan 6, 2015
Thank you. I remember now that if a flight is delayed by more than xx hours (typically 12) they are entitled to a refund . . .

Dwayne Coward

Administrator
Staff Member
Director
Apr 13, 2016
St. Louis
Jiang

Kiwi is a different animal since they tend to book unrelated connections and appear to have different rules for their bookings than those of other online booking sites.

They provide a guarantee that protects the types of bookings that they ticket. A key element in their guarantee seems to be that you need to contact them when a cancellation or delay occurs so they can attempt to find you an alternative flight (that is within 24 hours) that will get you to your destination before they may offer a refund.

This is from their guarantee:

"In this case, if You learn about a Flight Delay(s) or cancellation(s) of Your Flight under Scenario B, You are obliged to inform Us of such a Flight Delay(s) or cancellation(s) without undue delay either by telephone or via the online chat available on Our Website. Should You fail to inform Us about such a Flight Delay(s) or cancellation(s) without undue delay, You will not be entitled to the Kiwi.comGuarantee. In case, We are informed first about the Flight Delay(s) or cancellation(s) of Your Flight under Scenario B, We will contact You within a reasonable time after We learn about it."​

So it may come down to when you contacted them.

I would recommend writing to the company using the information in the following post to address this and see if you can get a resolution directly from the company.

https://forum.elliott.org/threads/resolving-consumer-complaints-and-developing-a-paper-trail.8903/

Please let us know how they respond, so we can advise further.

Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for your help! I have contacted the kiwi custom service twice and they refused to do anything, just repeating that the airline did not provide the refund and they can not do anything for the last three days. I insisted on talking to their supervisor, also twice...I told them that I will file a formal complain to the Department of Transportation of US government. They now agreed to "investigate" the situation... and I am waiting for their response and will let you know their response as soon as I hear from them. I just do not feel right---anyone could run into similar situations and most of us do not know all these rules and procedures.