Refund for upgrade

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Feb 18, 2019
Flying from Chicago to Hong Kong, paid $650.00 for premium economy upgrade. My seat was broken at foot rest which the foot rest was locked in an elevated position and also head rest was broke and not able to recline. Flight attendant aware at take off that the foot rest and head rest were broken. To add to the discomfort for 16 hrs. which I did not sleep, the person in front of me was reclined, pinning me into an extremely uncomfortable position. When we were landing in Hong Kong 4 cab members were needed to take the seat apart and fix the broken seat.
I was told by one of the attendants that this issue would be documented and that I should get in touch with the airlines for a refund. Which I have done.
Cathay Pacific wants to give me a $150.00 monetary voucher for my complaint. I may never go to Hong Kong again and feel a full refund is in order.

Jan 6, 2015
Things to consider when you write . . .
  • Cathay did transport you to /from Hong Kong, which fulfills their Contract of Carriage. Thus a full refund of all charges is unlikely.
  • You were inconvenienced on one leg only, to which they will assign a value that may be less than 1/2 the total airfare
  • You did not receive the upgrade you requested (seat malfunction) so a refund of the $650 is certainly reasonable
A request for $650 plus some remuneration for your discomfort on the outbound leg may have a better chance of being granted, I think . . .

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Things to consider when you write . . .
  • Cathay did transport you to /from Hong Kong, which fulfills their Contract of Carriage. Thus a full refund of all charges is unlikely.
  • You were inconvenienced on one leg only, to which they will assign a value that may be less than 1/2 the total airfare
  • You did not receive the upgrade you requested (seat malfunction) so a refund of the $650 is certainly reasonable
A request for $650 plus some remuneration for your discomfort on the outbound leg may have a better chance of being granted, I think . . .

Were there any other amenities you received as part of the upgrade? Free drinks, extra snacks? If you received those, a full refund isn’t due.

Was the $650 you pays for a round trip upgrade or a one way upgrade?

All this has to be taken into account before you revise how much you are requesting.

Mar 29, 2016
A person reclining the seat in front of you, while it may be uncomfortable, isn't any sort of service failure. It's just being on a plane. That complaint will not help your case.