Refund for taxes and fees paid for BA flight after it was cancelled and I was rebooked on Iberia from Madrid?

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Sep 25, 2017
Several months ago I used American miles to book a flight from Madrid to Chicago business class. Unfortunately the only saver tickets available were on BA, flying Madrid - London - Chicago. I hate using American miles to fly on BA because of the outrageous fees they add on. In this case, I was charged $319.33 each, in addition to the American miles. The night before my flight I received an email from BA stating that my flight was cancelled, and they had rebooked me on Iberia, flying Madrid to Chicago with no stop in London. That was great, non-stop flight, no dealing with Heathrow plane change. However, I feel that I am entitled to a refund of the $319.33 Heathrow fee I paid originally, as I never flew there. Talked to American, who I had the original booking through, but they said I'd have to take it up with BA. I'd really like some feedback on whether I have a shot at recovering these fees, or should I not bother wasting the time?
Thanks

Jun 24, 2019
We have had that situation, having at the last minute a Madrid to Heathrow to LAX flight changed to a non-stop Madrid to LAX flight. Yes we got the extra taxres BA charges back. My wife handled it all through AA, who is the ticket issuer (especially on award tickets). When AA issued you those award flights, AA charged you the tax. It should be on your credit card statement that AA collected the funds.