refund for a flight ticket from StudentUniverse

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

Does StudentUniverse refund a non-refundable ticket in the past?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 22, 2019
I read Christopher Elliott's article about getting a refund on a non refundable flight ticket. I really appreciate his sharing. After reading the article, I remembered two non refundable, student priced international flight tickets we couldn't make with my spouse on January, 12 2019. I bought them from studentuniverse.com. The reason I and my spouse couldn't make this was that I was called for a mandatory military service in my home country and I was going to be in the military between January 7th and January 25th. I called StudentUniverse at the time I was called for the duty and only told them if it is possible to reschedule. They said it is a negotiated student ticket and it is non-refundable. I regret that I didn't insist on refund/rescheduling by mentioning that I can't make the flight due to a mandatory reason. So, I paid another $558.56 and bought other tickets for me and my wife on 11/28/2018 to fly on 1/27/2019 to the same destination. Do you think it worths to try and ask a refund for tickets reserved 9months ago? I am able to provide a document showing the start/end dates of my military service. Although it is not English, it clearly shows the date I was enrolled and completed my service in numbers. I'd appreciate any suggestions you'd make.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Did the credit card you use offer any type of insurance? They might have cancellation coverage for being called to duty.

But we have company contacts and it never hurts to write and ask. You might find an executive who would help you out.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/studentuniverse/

This is the second complaint today about this company.

Feb 3, 2019
I wouldn't consider this a complaint, though - at least, not a legitimate one. StudentUniverse declined to refund a non-refundable ticket. That doesn't mean the OP shouldn't ask for an exception, but it's hardly equivalent to SU dropping the ball on getting a cancelled flight rebooked.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
I wouldn't consider this a complaint, though - at least, not a legitimate one. StudentUniverse declined to refund a non-refundable ticket. That doesn't mean the OP shouldn't ask for an exception, but it's hardly equivalent to SU dropping the ball on getting a cancelled flight rebooked.
I had never heard of this company before the two posts today.

Aug 22, 2019
Did the credit card you use offer any type of insurance? They might have cancellation coverage for being called to duty.

But we have company contacts and it never hurts to write and ask. You might find an executive who would help you out.

Neil Maley, thank you for your input. I contacted my bank, but they said my credit card didn't have that benefit unfortunately. It looks like I can only ask to StudentUniverse if they can do anything.

AMA

Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
StudentUniverse has been around for a long time and is pretty reputable. They market heavily to college students. I used to buy plane tickets from them long ago.

Aug 22, 2019
UPDATE
Hello everybody,

I received a refund from the airline company. Yaaay! Thank you everybody for their help! My biggest thanks, of course, go to Mr. Elliott whose news article inspired me to seek a refund for a nonrefundable ticket.

StudentUniverse (SU) special requests department asked me a proof of the document showing my service dates and its English translation and the department of SU said they will ask refund to American Airlines if they accept it. Although they said it may take months, I was returned back by SU in about 2 weeks with good news. SU got my refund from the airline company, but only deducted their service/ticketing fee of $22. I am totally fine with that. Thanks everybody for their input!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
Very, very happy to read this update, jj. I think everyone in the USA is willing to go the extra mile for people who serve in the military. I'm glad you contacted us and hope that other military people will read this in case they need assistance. Thanks so much for your kind comments and for letting us know.