Refound

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco
While it is true that you will receive the refund, it will take much longer than 24-48 hours. That is the processing time for the airline to determine you are due the refund. Then they send it over to your credit card company. Then the credit card company starts their process to determine if the refund is due. Then the refund has to be posted. If it misses your statement date, it may not appear until a second billing cycle. So it actually can take many weeks before you see your money.
This is absolutely correct. Your card is charged instantly for a purchase, but a refund can take weeks. It's absolutely unfair, but that's the way it works. Are you using a real travel agent or an online booking service? Why did the travel agent use your card to make the booking? For the first time ever, I recently booked directly with United and had to cancel within 24 hours. United refunded my money instantly ... I was quite surprised and very pleased. If you used an online service, a refund will take a very long time.

Jan 13, 2020
This is absolutely correct. Your card is charged instantly for a purchase, but a refund can take weeks. It's absolutely unfair, but that's the way it works. Are you using a real travel agent or an online booking service? Why did the travel agent use your card to make the booking? For the first time ever, I recently booked directly with United and had to cancel within 24 hours. United refunded my money instantly ... I was quite surprised and very pleased. If you used an online service, a refund will take a very long time.
Ya! Was on Friday and I didn’t get anything yet! Still waiting

Dec 13, 2019
Well, your card is authorized instantly which is not the same as a charge. A merchant authorizes your card to make sure you can actually afford the purchase you are trying to make. If the authorization goes through, then that gets sent to the bank / credit card issuer who then posts it as an actual charge on your final billing statement.

So it's actually not any more instant than a refund, even though it might seem a bit unfair that it posts as a negative to your statement immediately while a credit does not in turn post immediately.

I processed a refund today for a client. For my system, it's instant and we put the refund back immediately -- our account gets debited. I tell them it takes 5-7 business days maximum for it to post to their statement, but it depends on their banking institution. So that period of time neither the vendor nor the end client has the money.

Jan 13, 2020
Well, your card is authorized instantly which is not the same as a charge. A merchant authorizes your card to make sure you can actually afford the purchase you are trying to make. If the authorization goes through, then that gets sent to the bank / credit card issuer who then posts it as an actual charge on your final billing statement.

So it's actually not any more instant than a refund, even though it might seem a bit unfair that it posts as a negative to your statement immediately while a credit does not in turn post immediately.

I processed a refund today for a client. For my system, it's instant and we put the refund back immediately -- our account gets debited. I tell them it takes 5-7 business days maximum for it to post to their statement, but it depends on their banking institution. So that period of time neither the vendor nor the end client has the money.
Ya that’s the right way, but airline companies it’s the worse for refounds! I know it’s going to be weeks to get the money back, but nothing I can do! I which you work on airline company to help me!

jsn55

Verified Member
Dec 26, 2014
San Francisco

OK, your card is charged the next day. Your refund can take up to 3 billing cycles. That's the unfair part that I wanted to bring up because so many people expect a refund to hit their CC as quickly as the charge did. For people with low credit limits, this can be a real disaster, as we've seen many times. We won't get into the revenue created by the banks playing the float with other peoples' money. Your clients are fortunate that you treat them so well.