Recently married; honeymoon ticket in maiden name, passport in married name

• Hi Guest, welcome to the help forum. You can get fast answers to your customer service questions here. We have a dedicated team of advocates who are ready to help. Just go to the section that matches your question and ask us!
  • If you've posted a question or issue for our advocates to assist with, please be sure to check back frequently for responses and requests for clarification.
  • Did you know you can get email notifications when something new posts to your favorite forum? It's easy. Just click the "watch" link right next to the "post new thread" button at the top of your favorite forum. The rest is easy. Now you'll never miss another conversation.
  • Want to become an expert user? Drop by the How to use this forum section and all will be revealed. We'll show you how to make the most of your experience.
Apr 5, 2018
Hello,
I’ve been going back and forth with airlines for weeks now regarding my predicament. I booked a trip to Bora Bora for my honeymoon last July (2017). We got married in December 2017 and leave for honeymoon in April 2018. (Yes, I realize now I should not have changed my name prior to my April 2018 flight because it is nothing but a hassle; however, I did due to the long time span and now am trying to get my last ticket dealt with).
My flight tickets are in my maiden name but my new license and passport are in my married name. However, I did not have a middle name before, so when I got married, I moved my last name and made it my legal middle name. Now all my government issued IDs have my first name, maiden name and new last name. What will my issues be checking in or boarding? I can bring my birth certificate, my marriage license, my new passport and my old passport (which was sent back to me with the holes punched through) to the airport. (Also my old passport that shows my ticket name is not expired I just got a new one because of the name change). My problem has been with Qantas and Air Tahiti (American Airlines has been able to change all my info). Qantas said they could only change my name if I had booked through them or were not on multiple flights. Then they told me I could board because my ticket name is technically on my new ID's but then later when I called to get that in writing they told me they had no idea what I was talking about and I should cancel my flight - which I cannot do because since I booked 9 months ago, there are no tickets now. They won't cancel my ticket and reissue it to me for a fee which I am completely willing to pay. I need Expedia to do a ticket re-issuance or release the ticket to Qantas so it can be re-booked to me for the price difference. Or note in the OSI number that I will be traveling with a marriage certificate.
Any help would be appreciated.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
This isn’t a small change you can have fixed at when you arrive at the airport. I’m sure you know now you shouldn’t have changed your passport until your honeymoon was over. If you used a travel agent who advised you to buy tickets this way- it might be your travel agents problem but you booked through Expedia so they have to do all the changes so it’s on you because it’s essentially do it yourself.

I can only suggest using our company contacts to appeal to the Expedia executIves. You don’t want to get to your connecting airport and find out they won’t let you board.

If honestly don’t see an easy solution to this.

Apr 5, 2018
Yes, I have been trying for weeks to get this corrected and do understand I should not have changed it. I honestly did not think about it since our honeymoon is 4 months after we got married and American Airlines made all changes no problem.
We did book the trip through a bundle deal with Expedia. I have written communication with TSA and the US Customs and Border Protection that state "Travelers who have changed their name due to marriage, divorce, or because of any other circumstance may travel using their documentation showing different names as long as you also travel with proof of your legal name progression such as: a marriage certificate, a divorce decree or court documents showing a legal name change." I do have my marriage certificate but like you stated, I do not want to get to a connecting airport with a different airline (ie Qantas) that wont let me board (even though they have stated I can but did not put it in writing).
They will not let me repurchase my own seat (even for a cost) or re-issue it to me. They said I would have to cancel the whole flight and try to rebook but they do not guarantee I will get the seat again - it could be booked by another person.
What is the best way to appeal to the Expedia executives? I have case numbers from Expedia and multiple supervisors who have tried to help but in the end, have not been able to help at all.

JVillegirl541

Verified Member
Nov 21, 2014
Even Expedia can NOT fix this without buying you a new ticket. Which means they will have to pass every bit of the expense onto you. While you May get a credit for the old ticket until Expedia gets the credit from the airlines (possibly weeks) they can’t pass that into you to use until they actually have it. Your ticket however is “likely” highly restricted and can’t be changed and/or may have no value remaining if you try to change it.

So yes Expedia must deal with it but IMO it will involve purchasing a whole new ticket at today’s prices plus the airline & Expedia’s change fees.

Have you talked to the US Passport Agency about possibly putting your passport back in your maiden name? Crazy idea but crazier things have been know to work!

Apr 5, 2018
I have not spoken with the Passport Agency about putting my passport back in my maiden name - since this process has taken so long and I just received my new passport the 3rd week of March, I do not know if I would even get it back in time since my flight is now 2 weeks away. I have my old passport in my maiden name (with the little hole punch in it) to bring to the airport...and my drivers license is in my new name too so would that have to be changed back too?

Jul 13, 2016
I have not spoken with the Passport Agency about putting my passport back in my maiden name - since this process has taken so long and I just received my new passport the 3rd week of March, I do not know if I would even get it back in time since my flight is now 2 weeks away. I have my old passport in my maiden name (with the little hole punch in it) to bring to the airport...and my drivers license is in my new name too so would that have to be changed back too?
You could try to get a same day passport if you live near a passport office. I think that is going to be the least expensive option to correct this. And even if TSA lets you use all your documentation, the airline has the final word as to whether you can board, since they can be fined tens of thousands of dollars if you are not allowed to enter your destination country. You would not need to change your driver's license.

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
We had a recent case like this and the only way the consumer could fly was to change his passport (or his wife’s).

I second Globetrottings suggestion of going to your nearest passport office in person. Bring everything with you.

Apr 5, 2018
Ok great I will definitely try that.
On another note (because this case is not already difficult enough). I have a separate flight booked from Key West to Las Vegas and back at the same time (I booked a separate trip for the Bora Bora travel due to the hotel and international difficulty with all the flights and currency exchanges). For my Key West to Las Vegas trip, American Airlines changed my name to my married name in a hour. So I do have a ticket in my married name for that. If I change my passport back to my maiden name, would I then have to contact American again and see if they would change my name back to the original ticket???

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018
We had a recent case like this and the only way the consumer could fly was to change his passport (or his wife’s).

I second Globetrottings suggestion of going to your nearest passport office in person. Bring everything with you.
Also,
I have my old passport in my maiden name (which was sent back to me with the holes punched through). Would this be acceptable by any chance???

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Also,
I have my old passport in my maiden name (which was sent back to me with the holes punched through). Would this be acceptable by any chance???
No. Only a valid passport is accepted to fly outside the US.

In the future- consider using a real travel agent. They would have told you right off the bat to wait until you took your honeymoon to change your passport and this would have totally been avoided.

A big trip like a honeymoon is not always a do it yourself trip.

Apr 5, 2018
If your drivers license is in the same name as your domestic ticket you are fine. You don’t need a passport to fly domestically.
Ok perfect, my drivers license is in my new name which is the name on my domestic flight.
I guess then I'll just make an appt to go the Passport office in person and get the passport back to my maiden name. Will they allow this change since I just had them change it to my married name, or more importantly, do I need any other documentation to get it back in my maiden name? Just my birth certificate I'm assuming?
I will also call the passport office when I get out of work too.

Apr 5, 2018
No. Only a valid passport is accepted to fly outside the US.

In the future- consider using a real travel agent. They would have told you right off the bat to wait until you took your honeymoon to change your passport and this would have totally been avoided.

A big trip like a honeymoon is not always a do it yourself trip.
Yes you are totally right. Thank you and everyone else in here for your help!

Neil Maley

Staff Member
Advocate
Dec 27, 2014
New York
www.promalvacations.com
Ok perfect, my drivers license is in my new name which is the name on my domestic flight.
I guess then I'll just make an appt to go the Passport office in person and get the passport back to my maiden name. Will they allow this change since I just had them change it to my married name, or more importantly, do I need any other documentation to get it back in my maiden name? Just my birth certificate I'm assuming?
I will also call the passport office when I get out of work too.
I would take everything. I don’t know how easy or hard it might be to change it back because you now don’t have all that other documentation in the old name.

Don’t waste time, get down there as soon as possible because if they can’t make changes, you need to know ASAP to go back to Expedia for help.

You can just walk in if you can’t get a quick appointment- bring your tickets showing you are flying soon.

Apr 5, 2018
I will do so. Unfortunately I live in Key West and the closest office is in Miami but I can make an appointment for this coming Monday. I did write emails to Expedia and Qantas using the emails provided on your website. If the passport office pans out, I can just email them back and say it was taken care of. I do not want to hope they can fix this in the meantime if I can do it myself at the passport office.

Apr 5, 2018
You are fortunate to live near a passport agency. I hope everything works out and that you have a wonderful honeymoon in Bora Bora.
Thank you very much. I am also going to call the Miami agency tomorrow when they open to see what docs I need to bring, if they allow it. And it still may be worth a shot to drive up there for an appointment even if they say over the phone they can't do it because you never know what the person in the office will say when you get there.